Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Driving Question!

Right passed my test a week ago, was really chuffed first time and all, but I drove my old petrol polo, and I literally was hopeless, stalling, wheel skidding couldn't do anything right! I learnt in a diesel and fairly new clio, it was easy!? Is it just me that is rubbish with petrol's or general driving :(??

My step-dad's words were "Will go out saturday for 30 minutes and your be fine like driving

Comments

• Options
    ... is second nature, but i cannot see it!
  • Options
    You learnt to pass your test.
    now you'll learn to drive.
  • Options
    Quite often instructors assist when you are starting - the cars have dual controls and bear in mind that it's their car you are wrecking with poor starts. But diesel cars are generally a bit more robust engine wise.

There are two stages in learning to drive - getting through the test, then learning properly. Think of it like learning to ride a bike with the stabilisers on and then with them off.
  • Options
    A few things to remember when you're driving.

You are invisible.
    Every other driver is a psychopath.
    Every other driver wants to kill you.
    Every other driver thinks they have precedence over you and will drive accordingly, assuming you will always give way to them.
    Every accident you have is your fault.
    No one but you gives a toss about the highway code.
    It's a no claims bonus, not a no blames bonus!
  • Options
    Clutch control is a bit easier in a diesel as they tend to have more power/grunt at lower revs - I'm sure that's part of the problem.
    30mins with your step dad & you'll be fine. It's amazing how quickly you adapt to a new vehicle.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Yes, you will get used to it very quickly. I learnt in a diesel - the major difference is that it is harder to stall a diesel at low revs because the engine is supplying fuel where as a petrol engine is more reliant on you. An example of this is that you can start a diesel with your foot off the gas but you need a little gas in a petrol car usually when you turn the key.
  • Options
    Clutch control can be quite hard in petrols compared to diesel engines, but that partly depends on what petrol car it is, some are easier than otheres. It'll become 2nd nature soon enough
  • Options
    I used to have a little diesel Corsa. Always threw me at first when I got into my girlfriend's petrol Punto but you adapt pretty quickly and with a bit of practise you'll be able to drive either with no problems.
  • Options
    In an old Polo it's not getting underway that's the problem - it's the stopping.  Some while ago a dealer provided me with one as a courtesy car while mine was in for service.  The service bloke said I'd find a brick tied to a piece of string in the footwell with the other end of the string tied to the handbrake.  He suggested when approaching junctions I should throw the brick out the window to assist braking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I loved my old 1.0L Polo, that was my first car too, though it was purple...  It's all about clutch control, it takes a bit of practice and every car is different.  Try not to learn on a shingle driveway though, as I am sick of sweeping up stones on a shared driveway we have because other people have appalling clutch control!
  • Options
    Ah thanks all, just hope I am ready by saturday lunch got to drive from Dartford to Basildon!!
  • Options
    Blimey, Willmore, at least you won't have to worry about a return journey.  Someone in Basildon will have nicked it by the time you get back to where you parked it!
  • Options

Remember that some idiots indicate right when going they are going straight on at roundabouts.

• Options

Blimey, Willmore, at least you won't have to worry about a return journey.  Someone in Basildon will have nicked it by the time you get back to where you parked it!

Tell me about it! My nan unfortunately lives there, she's had her wheels pinched before!
  • Options

Remember that some idiots indicate right when going they are going straight on at roundabouts.

Or that some people dont indicate at all when going right at a roundabout
  • Options

Or that some people dont indicate at all when going right at a roundabout
    or left!
  • Options
    Good luck Willmore...it'll become second nature in no time.  Heed the advice on roundabouts though.  Been years since I had the joys of driving to Basildon, but always remember that the council there seemed to have an obsession with the things!!  ;-)
  • Options
    And ignore the idiot training that 'Shep' at Shootershill lights, very distracting!!
  • Options
    Good luck Willmore...it'll become second nature in no time.  Heed the advice on roundabouts though.  Been years since I had the joys of driving to Basildon, but always remember that the council there seemed to have an obsession with the things!!  ;-)
    Cheers mate, feels good to have finally passed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watch out for the old gits turning right on Court Road. 8-0(
  • Options
    As others have said, petrol cars are easier to stall.  I've had a diesel car for about 15 years now, and it takes a short while to get the hang of petrol cars again.  A few years ago when I got one as a loan car, I couldn't find the choke.  Apparently they don't have them any more...

And as for roundabouts - it could be worse, it could have been Swindon you were going to.  This monstrosity is next to the County Ground...

Congrats on passing the test - and have you thought about doing the 'pass plus' thing? - might help with some of the stuff that the test doesn't really cover adequately - and might save you a few quid on insurance premiums.

• Options

But surely you should indicate right at a major roundabout like Ruxley for example if you are going straight on? Otherwise how do drivers at the exits that you intend to pass know where you are going? Indicators  are not optional extras on cars. You should use them as much as possible.
  • Options

But surely you should indicate right at a major roundabout like Ruxley for example if you are going straight on? Otherwise how do drivers at the exits that you intend to pass know where you are going? Indicators  are not optional extras on cars. You should use them as much as possible.
    Right indicator on until you pass the first exit then left indicator
  • Options
    No. You dont indicate right simply to signal that you're not turning left on a normal bit of road, so why do it on a roundabout?
    Anyone approaching the roundabout from the opposite direction will stop in anticpation of you coming round in front of them, then you suddenly switch to the left indicator and zip off to their right. Infuriating.

The problem is there is no consistency in behaviour so the whole thing becomes a guesssing game.
  • Options
    Not on a large roundabout they won't. People on the opposite junction from you won't see you will they? A large one with dual a carriageway will have central reservations so you are only seen by other cars when you are approaching their junction, not when you first enter the roundabout on the opposite junction to them.  You indicate to let the cars on the first exit you pass know that you are coming past their junction and they should wait. Different on mini-roundabouts maybe.
  • Options
    I'll agree with you that what you do should be appropriate to the conditions. That's perhaps why it's hard to be absolutely hard and fast. But common sense is not as common as it should be.
  • Options
    Seriously, Roundabout indication is so simple it amazes me how people still get it wrong. Right to go straight on? Wow.
  • Options
    All cars are different and you just need to get used to driving 'a car'. i have a power steering 205 diesel, nice and small and easy to drive , i hear you say. my misses has a 12 seater defender without power steering, that has a horendous gearchange and has the turning circle of a cruise ship, oh and it does 55mph flat out. i drive both but i know which i prefer to take to the supermarket. if you can drive, you can drive anything. keep it up and you'll catch on.