Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Star Wars

Frighteningly overrated shit. Discuss.

Comments

• edited September 2011
    No discussion in my book. Overrated shit. Star Trek is the dogs....
  • Nothing to discuss here I'm afraid.  It's shit and it's over-rated.
  • Yeah I never really 'got' it.
  • Star Wars the original was alright. In fact as it was the first film I ever went to see at the flicks as a kid (well, that or Sinbad and the eye of the Tiger - but that doesn't sound as good) I have a soft spot for it. It was pretty good for it's time.

Every other sequel, prequel or however they want to dress it up has been complete bobbins though. Sort of fellas who get massively into that stuff probably also play Dungeons & Dragons with their one friend and spend hours at their computer wanking themselves silly on Second Life, or some such shit.
  • The first Star Wars film (episode 4) is a classic and it shoud have stopped there. Never really got into the others.........

• Someone at work posted a story to the entire IT department about the BT Tower being 'transformed' into a giant lightsabre for the latest cash-in release. Next time I see an interesting story about golf I'm going to forward that to everyone in the IT department, then - when he inevitably asks why I've done it, I'll tell him if he wants to send me random shit I'm not interested in, I'll do the same.

Even the original was bollocks - the toys were good, but the film itself was, frankly, toss.
  • yes..but Princess Lea in the gold bikini.

• Got nothing on Lord of The Rings
  • am i the only 41 year old who hasn't seen any of them
    sci-fi not really my scene 
    but of the odd clips ive seen ive never been enticed to watch em
    each to their own tho
    sci-fi not really my scene 

but of the odd clips ive seen ive never been enticed to watch em

each to their own tho
    I'll be in the same position when i get to that grand old age pony the lot of it
  • Sponsored links:

• Sod you lot...I'm 42 and I love 'em! Never rated Star Trek either!

• The 3 titted lady in total recall held my attention for a few minutes and thats my sci fi limit
  • Sod you lot...I'm 42 and I love 'em! Never rated Star Trek either!

I'm with you Arry!
  • it's been trendy for a while now to knock them.
  • I can appreciate both Star Trek and Star Wars.

You don't have to opt for one or the other.

no.

• episodes 4-6 were brilliant films

episodes 1-3 were utter rubbish as were the re-issues of 4-6 that George Lucas mucked around with
  • edited September 2011
    The 3 titted lady in total recall held my attention for a few minutes and thats my sci fi limit
    This plus Back To The Future, the best trilogy ever.

I saw the remakes as a teenager before the prequels were released, the second prequels is one of the worse films I've ever seen. The second film, the fifth episode (?) was decent as was the one before. The rest were very dull. I'm glad it's not just me who didn't get it! The last bit of the third episode was cool though.
  • edited September 2011
    Frighteningly overrated shit. Discuss.
    Well at the time both Clinton and Yeltsin were negotiating a tricky path through a new weapons environment. The Star Wars treaty was the best they could manage
    The underlying principle of this treaty was that both the US and Russia (originally the USSR) should remain
    vulnerable to each other's nuclear arsenal.

But essentially over rated shyte, and frightening.

• Loved them all
  • Sponsored links:

• Surprised at the disdain here. The original 3 were all released before I was born but I love them, not sure how they can be classed as over rated, fair enough I can understand if people don't like them but over rated is harsh.
  • original 3 were quite good i thought. the latest ones are pretty pony.

and as for star trek..........jank.

• episodes 4-6 were brilliant films

episodes 1-3 were utter rubbish as were the re-issues of 4-6 that George Lucas mucked around with
    This. Absolutely this.
  • Loved the original 3 films (episodes 4,5 & 6) The Empire strikes back was by far the best one. Hated the others.

I was 10 when I went with my brothers to see the first one in 77 and we stayed for all 3 showings, walked home constantly chatting about it and finally got home to find our parents going absolutely ballistic, wondering where we had got to and had the police looking for us.

As for Star Trek, The original series with shitner I look upon as poor comedy. However, I loved Next Generation and Voyager (just couldn't get into DS9).

Capt Janeway........now there's a 'would ya?'
  • Star Trek's shit as well. And I LIKE sci-fi.
  • The first three released are all very good and influential films, sadly there are those who have got ridiculously carried away and inevitably the hype bounces back to bite them on the arse. So I would say they are frighteningly overrated by SOME people, most of us think they are merely very good films. The prequels and that digital mucking around is just unneccessary though.
  • The first film was good at the time, as a 12 year old seeing it at the cinema was an event and the effects were great. I have only seen The Empire Strikes Back once,and that was enough sequels for my liking. The original TV series Star Trek was an institution, it's of it's time and should be looked upon as such.     
  • Some people take it a bit too far and quite frankly, scare me...............
  • Then there's always a flip side.........................
  • Never seen Star Wars, I have tried, honest, but after 5 minutes I am done in, utter cack IMO.