Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Interested to note on the player marks thread that Rhoys seems to divide opinion quite starkly.
Scanning through the thread, most people have marked him as above the average score, some have made him MOM or close to MOM, while others have him as the lowest mark in the team (though I haven't seen any comments suggesting he had a stinker.)
Isn't it a bit odd that opinions seem to differ so greatly, and only with regards to Rhoys?

Just saying.

Comments

• Options
    He is getting better and better, just as the Bournemouth fans said he would.
    Will finish the season a fans favourite, I hope.
  • Options
    It's a funny one with Rhoys. Out of all the new guys he was the one who had least impressed me and watching Evina in the cup I thought Ceddy was the better of the two. But as with Wagstaff playing ahead of Green, if it aint broke.... Glad he got a goal against Rochdale and thought he was one of the best players Saturday, got forward a lot more than he had before and now starting to see why he's the number one choice in that position. Great to know that if he got a knock or suspension we've got Ceddy to come in though
  • Options
    Like everything - some people would've made up their mind early on in the season and are too stubborn/proud to change their opinions...

Bit like Mr Hayes (Paul, not Ben), some think he isn't up to it regardless of what he does in a game.  On Hayes, he reminds me of Andy Hunt when he first joined Charlton, I remember plenty of moans and groans directed at him.
  • Options
    I think Rhoys will grow into a great player for us. Hes only young and still learning.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Bit like Mr Hayes (Paul, not Ben), some think he isn't up to it regardless of what he does in a game. 
    (Paul not Ben) Are you sure? Only I'd heard rumours....
  • Options
    I thought he was excellent on Saturday both defending and as an attacking option. 

We need the full backs to get forward especially as the midfield is quite narrow at the moment.
  • Options
    I thought he was excellent on Saturday both defending and as an attacking option. 

We need the full backs to get forward especially as the midfield is quite narrow at the moment.
  • Options
    I don't think he's done anything outstanding, yet he hasn't done anything wrong. He's definitely improved since the opening game against Bournemouth, and overlaps well with Jackson. As the season goes on he'll start getting noticed more imo.
  • Options
    He had he's best game on saturday. He looks like becoming a good player despite a nervous start to the season. 
  • Options
    Luke Young took a while to settle in and start really impressing. Wiggins seems like a similar player, I think he'll get better and better, as his, and the teams confidence grows.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've got faith that he will improve

He's better than Evina anyway
  • Options
    Defintiley getting better after a shaky start compared to the rest of the new signings.
  • Options
    looked shaky against bournemouth first game but thats understandable. has now created a good understanding with JJ, and is getting forward a lot more. Will have a harder time in the next two games against decent RM's, so lets see how he gets on. I think he is turning into a good player.
  • Options
    I really rate him. Just look how few crosses come from his wing. He always seems to get a block in. He has great pace, comfortable on the ball and loves getting forward. Funny thing is he's as good as Youga was when everyone raved about him - some people just have the blinkers

Since I sponsored his kit he's improved a ton - maybe he now feels at home

• Options

Deffinately grown into the team can see him developing inot a key player throughout the season.

Personally wasn't holding his first few appearances against him, maybe just the hype that surrounded him in the transfer window has 'clouded' peoples vision of him. He was clearly the best LB we've had at the club for some time and now he has an understanding with JJ down the left he looks dangerous going forward and solid at the back, mirroring Solly on the right.

• Options
    He is getting better and better, just as the Bournemouth fans said he would.
    Will finish the season a fans favourite, I hope.
    Yes I have been critical of him, he is a confidence player I think, the goal last week seemed to have given him confidence.
    I think we are now seeing the player that played so well for Bournemouth.
  • Options
    I really rate him. Just look how few crosses come from his wing. He always seems to get a block in. He has great pace, comfortable on the ball and loves getting forward. Funny thing is he's as good as Youga was when everyone raved about him - some people just have the blinkers Since I sponsored his kit he's improved a ton - maybe he now feels at home
    I was going to make a similar point about Youga but you beat me to it!
  • Options
    I can't read all the comments because I am in college so apologies if this has been said.

Out of the new boys, he has started slowest. Immediate impacts are what make peoples minds up. First impressions count. Take Francis for example... he had a slow start last season and people hated him ever since. Although that was an extreme.

Not saying Rhoys is hated but it will take time for people to change their minds on him. I thought he was the best left back in the league last season.
  • Options
    Wiggy RHOYS, Wiggy RHOYS, Wiggy Wiggy Wiggy RHOYS RHOYS RHOYS !

Couple of average games to start but really found his feet. Great at Rochdale and again on Sat. As Queensland said above, reminds me very much of Luke Young.
  • Options
    I love how wide he sits from goal kicks. He stands right on the touchline up the field and it just reeks of attacking confidence. He's a little shaky in defence at times but he's improving and he always puts the effort into getting back. With Solly generally sitting deep he can make the most of launching down the field and he links well with Jackson. Top player
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Was told by knowledgable Bournemouth mate that we had got ourselves the best left back in the division - was being raved about before we got him and I made a point of looking out for him in televised games and when we played them in MArch and was very impressed. He was a player that I didn't need convincing about - yes he started ok and not more but knew he would be an asset and he is satrting to show that now.

• Options
    I like him. Arguably the best left back since Chris Powell.
  • Options
    He arrived with a bit of a fanfare and his signing as a bit of a coup. Initially I thought him the least impressive of our newies but he is certainly turning it around now from my point of view. Already we have a quality back four and I think it still early days in that four becoming a complete unit. I'm looking forward to Rhoys scoring his first screamer in front of The Valley.
  • Options
    Those who marked him as lowest score just know very little about football, have never played it to a decent standard, or as stated above have made up their minds about him from first game & too stubborn to change their opinion. Fortunately these people we will never have to worry about them picking our first team.
  • Options
    Yes, it is one area that takes a little time- in terms of understanding- so what it has achieved so far is all the more impressive. For me, Solley is also twice the player he was last year which helps too.
  • Options
    The amount of crosses he stopped coming in on Saturday was absolutely phenominal, he just seems to have a knack for it. Teams will struggle to get crosses in on our left side, and they're not having too much luck on our right side either!
  • Options
    He's better than Shaun..... oops sorry wrong thread , liking this guy , pacey and getting better all the time.. as the Beatles used to say.
  • Options
    First time I saw him I though he looked quick, good on the ball and could whip crosses in. I haven't changed my opinion of him and was a bit surprised by some of the negative comments toward him at the start of the season.
  • Options
    Think he's a top player, great left foot aswell and really adds impetuous when going forward, also think he's sound at the back.
  • Options
    Underrated. Quality left back.

Maybe a little nervous when he joined but he never had a bad game. Even against Bournemouth on the first game he lashed a shot towards there goal from 20-30 yards.
    Now hes more secure he'l start getting more efficient at what he does.