Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ian Wright

edited September 2011 in General Charlton

I was very bored here in Mexico around an hour ago, and one of my techniques to kill time is to go on a youtube binge - specifically compilations of great footballers, matches etc...
I thought it would be interesting to see if there were any similarities between BWP and his dad in terms of style of play (facially they are identical!), but came across this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omPdemwaNzQ&feature=related

Serious question, am I the only one who was left teary eyed after watching? I don't know if it's the old fella or Ian Wright's immediate reaction to clocking him. It genuinely looks as if he's seen a ghost.

Incidentally, can anyone see similarites in their style of play?

Comments

• Options

Only a little bit bored here in Spain.   Great piece of TV....hadn't seen it before....agree BWP looks just like his dad, still time for him to play just like his dad, the signs are good. By the way,  they should have stayed at Highbury! 

Some strange results here in Spain,  Real Betis on 100% record, , and Real Madrid beaten by Levante, who are the other smaller club in Valencia.

• Options
    Oh how I wish I could access YTube in China :-(
  • Options
    you can Stu....

am currently on a trip to macau so i have access

.... but...er.... there are means and ways, pal

you based over here now? pm me,ba!

- - - - - 

great reaction from ian wright for sure
  • Options
    A real choker of a video.
  • Options
    I like it how he immediately takes off his hat. There was probably a no hat rule at his school!
  • Options
    I like it how he immediately takes off his hat. There was probably a no hat rule at his school!

Or the teacher, unlike most of today's, inspired the kind of respect that crossed the years

• Options
    He's adopted!
  • Options
    Didn't realise BWP was that old HI!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    He's adopted!
    I though Shaun was adopted but Bradley was Ian's biological son

Very touching video.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Didn't realise BWP was that old HI!
    Got caught in the CL timewarp :- )

Edited now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wonderful reaction, love Wrighty. Wish he played for us instead of the Nigels.
  • Options
    Of course Ian played at a higher level but you can definitely see similarities in the way they play.
  • Options
    I know a very good friend of Ian's. I had never liked him until I head how much he does for others. Was a great player and would like to believe he has had the eagle removed from his chest.
  • Options
    He is 100% heart on sleeve guy. When he was on MoTD  talking about Englands last balls up  you could see how naffed off he was. He said they only wanted him on MoTD because the BBC thought he was a Sarf London thicktwat-----rather have him than the smarm ball Lineker.

He does and relate to the general public and has done that time and again with the things he has done since leaving football.

Once when asked about going to the Goonershit he said" never knew much about the area till i played there, being from South London i only went over there to a party or to give the locals a hiding"
  • Options
    He used to sign his contract at arsenal without looking at it, he didn't care how much they gave him.
  • Options
    He used to sign his contract at arsenal without looking at it, he didn't care how much they gave him.
    only because his agent  gave him the heads up as to the contract clauses
  • Options
    Never mind, when the Lineker story finally comes out he will get more appearances !!
  • Options
    I've always liked Ian Wright. Comes across as a proper honest bloke who was getting paid for something he loved doing.
  • Options
    what lineker story?
  • Options

gotta love Wrighty. A late start in the game probably made him appreciate the luxury lifestyles that most footballers are completely oblivious too. comes across as a nice fella who knows where he came from and how lucky he is to have played at the top and earn a living out of the game.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Just as a matter of interest does he come to the valley to watch his son bang the goals in. Has anyone seen him at the ground?

Also what programme is that video snippet taken from?

• Options
    He is 100% heart on sleeve guy. When he was on MoTD  talking about Englands last balls up  you could see how naffed off he was. He said they only wanted him on MoTD because the BBC thought he was a Sarf London thicktwat-----rather have him than the smarm ball Lineker.
    Agree, got given all the rubbish jobs on the BBC but at least he was genuine in what he felt.

Also went BWP got caught nicking stuff didn't try to divert the blame and said it was his (BWPs) stupid fault.
  • Options

Or the teacher, unlike most of today's, inspired the kind of respect that crossed the years

Unlike some of today's maybe.  Most are hard working and dedicated to their pupils and I know a lot of teachers and I would not do their job.
  • Options

Just as a matter of interest does he come to the valley to watch his son bang the goals in. Has anyone seen him at the ground?

Also what programme is that video snippet taken from?

Saw him on BWP debut against Colchester....Wright jumped around when BWP scored the winner.
  • Options
    Whats the video called ? Wont let me acces it on iphone
  • Options
    Whats the video called ? Wont let me acces it on iphone
    It's called "Ian Wright gets a big shock!"
  • Options
    That's a great video HW - proper heartwarming.

I always liked him being part of the England analysis as you could tell that he was a fan himself.  Like him even more now!
  • Options
    I met him once at a BP Garage on the M62, was such a nice guy...posed for a photo and gave us a beep of his horn when he flew past us. A proper football legend!
  • Options
    The team he played for before he went pro, did they play somewhere near the blackwall tunnel?
  • Options
    Touching. You'd never see Wayne Rooney or someone overpaid man be that emotional.