Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vs. Chesterfield | 24th September 2011 | Preview, Teams, Predictions, News

WSSWSS
edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Chesterfield's first visit to The Valley in over 30 years also marks the second Football For A Fiver initiative which will see an attendance of over 20,000 and send a message to the 19 new signings that this is what we want to be seeing on a regular basis. Having seemingly (touch wood) broken the 'North West Away Game Hoodoo' with wins against Bury and Rochdale this season, it would be nice to shake off the curse of 'Hype and Hope' whenever we embark on a big promotional push to increase supporter numbers.

A team with the aim of promotion needs to have an excellent home record, and although ours is by no means shabby (7th best in the league), draws against Sheffield Wednesday and Scunthorpe and a laboured win against 10-man Exeter has frustrated sections of The Valley faithful. Whether this is fair or not can wait for the weekly debate come early next week, but there is no doubt that a win is needed on Saturday to maintain momentum ahead of the most difficult duo of games of the season away to Sheffield United and MK Dons.

Despite coming off the back of an impressive 4-1 home win against Carlisle, Chesterfield languish in 20th place in the away league table (they did however beat Bournemouth 3-0 on their last road trip), having already shipped six goals against MK Dons back in August so a win should be demanded and expected. It may be worth keeping an eye on Leon Clarke, he of Di Canio argument fame, who has bagged five goals in his past three games.

The current starting XI is making decisions for Chris Powell relatively easy as they keep winning, but injury concerns to Bradley Pritchard and more worryingly to Dale Stephens may force a change around in the centre of midfield with Andy Hughes the most likely replacement for Stephens if he doesn't make it. Despite his partner firing out a hat-trick on Monday, many expect Danny Hollands to play on Saturday lining up alongside Jackson on the left and Wagstaff on the right. All other positions are more than likely to remain the same with the bench likely to see the most action with Jason Euell and Danny Green possibly joined by the likes of Alonso and Kermorgant who played 45 minutes midweek against West Ham.

A big crowd will be expectant, and deservedly so. If we manage to win when hype and expectation is high in front of a healthy crowd then maybe we can finally start to believe. 3-1 Charlton.

Come on you reds.

Comments

• I honestly can't wait for Saturday for a full house again. Such a buzz about the place when its full.

Hope it doesn't fizzle out like it did last time out when we played Exeter!

COYR
  • I cant go on Saturday.  Very disappointed. 
  • hopefully we will end the curse of the 'operation' days and put in a good performance, always had a softspot for chesterfield after they were robbed by middlesbough in the cup years ago didnt they have the kevin davies up front?? and when they scored there managers glasses got knocked off classic. Dont know to much about them now and hoping we really put in a good game for the many people comming for the first time or people returning who had given up all hope. Positive result 4 - 0 to the addicks.
  • 2-0 Charlton.
  • 3-1 Charlton. Taylor BWP and Jackson
  • 1 - 0 Charlton
  • 2-1 Bwp Stephens
  • Bigger question is if we score we score will we do the baby celebration?
  • Well, we need a home win.  We have to avoid the idea among other teams that they can come there and nick a point or more.  We need visitors to expect to lose against us at home.  Is our just ok home form down to confidence?

All the above comments are in light of the fact that we're top of the league, and unbeaten.  If we were knocking around 6th or 7th I'd be saying we're doing great at home, but we're the smart kid in the class, not the average one!
  • Charlton 1-2 Chesterfield - mendy and clarke with 1300 chesterfield fans there.
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-0 Charlton - BWP and JJ
  • edited September 2011
    4-3 Charlton with a great game from both sides. 
    I am also hoping that is is the first game my 9yo daughter gets to see us win. We have been so unlucky in the 10 oe so games we have been to over the last year. 
  • I must have taken my nephew to a dozen games and we've never seen a Charlton win together. The last game we went to was Sheffield Wednesday so apologies to all for that. He went to Exeter with his Dad and we won! We're jinxed!
  • without hollands and stephens we won't win imo. 3-1 loss same as year.
  • I seem to remember that Green is able to play centrally as well as on the right side of midfield? Could be an option to replace Stephens. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Green coming in for Hollands, however.

Also, a quick correction to make on the OP. The two frustrating home draws were against Sheff Wed & Scunthorpe. :-)
  • I seem to remember that Green is able to play centrally as well as on the right side of midfield? Could be an option to replace Stephens. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Green coming in for Hollands, however.

Also, a quick correction to make on the OP. The two frustrating home draws were against Sheff Wed & Scunthorpe. :-)
    jinx veinites, turn round touch ground
  • 3-2 charlton - worth trying Green in centre mid if stephens is unfit? be amazed if hollands doesn't play
  • edited September 2011
    3-1 BWP, Morrison and JJ.
    Clarke for them.
  • Is Stephens 100% unavailable?
  • Is Stephens 100% unavailable?
    Nothing has been said by the Club about either Stephens or Hollands not being available.

Press conferences today so News Shopper will get the scoop if there is one.

• Sponsored links:

• A thrilling 5-4 victory for the Addicks......or 2-2.
  • 5-1 victory  - BWP Hatrick 
  • 5-1 victory  - BWP Hatrick 
  • 2-0 routine victory and my 5 year old son is gonna be one of the mascots , i've told him to count the away fans for the 90 minutes to keep him entertained

• Bigger question is if we score we score will we do the baby celebration?
    I hope not. Worst celebration ever. Waggy started doing it after the first goal last week.

Hopefully the 'Paolo di Canio' song will get an airing at Mr Clarke.

1-0 to CAFC.
  • edited September 2011
    Charlton 1st  Highest possible position after games 1st  Lowest 4th
    Chesterfield 14th Highest possible position after games 10th Lowest 20th

Saturday, 24 September 2011

Bury v MK Dons, 15:00

Oldham v Brentford, 15:00

Preston v Tranmere, 15:00

• 2-1 Charlton with BWP and green scoring in front of a packed Valley 
  • 3-0 come on you reds.
  • 4-1 BWP (x2), Jackson, Green