Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mobile Phones

My contract is coming up. I have never had a decent one but having seen IPhones and similar now think i should maybe come into the modern age and get something a bit better (and more interactive) must have decent camera and decent reception....what do people recommend and where is best to go to get it?

Comments

• In my experience (in a house that has incredibly poor signal) Vodafone is the best service for reception, samsungs tend to be quite good if your looking for touchscreen with decent applications.  When you go to the store you might wanna have a vague idea of what you want, last time i went in and i had no idea what i wanted and the guy was lost, he didn't know what to suggest ... i had to make up what i want to help the guy out!
  • Iphone 5 comes out 21st Oct apparently, IIRC, as well as FM :) . Due to be announced any day I think.
    I think im gonna make the step up from my Samsung Gecko (rubbish touchscreen).

Id say wait till the Iphone is announced and then compare that with whatever else is out now. HTCs are pretty slick.

Depends on how much your willing to spend though really, if moneys not a problem Id go all out and go for a top phone.
  • All depends if you just want to buy the handset outright or tie yourself to a contract and get it for free. I've got a Samsung Galaxy ace. Basically it's samsungs equivelent of an iphone. I find it to be a good phone and nice and easy to use. The camera's pretty good as far as phones go and there's loads of free android apps to download (saved me having to splash out on a new digital guitar tuner too). Prices start at about £150 for pay-as-you-go (depending on which network you want).
  • The wife tried the Samsung Galaxy but couldn't get on with it so she swapped it for an iphone. I also have an iphone and, to be honest, I doubt I'll be moving away from them for a good while as they are so simple to use and have so many apps (if that's your thing).

As mentioned above, the iphone 5 comes out shortly so iphone 4 will probably drop in price if you fancy grabbing one.
  • Stay well clear of 3 as it doesn't work aboard.

HTC do good phones.

HTC do good phones.
    3 barely works at home in my experience!
  • HTC! Simple to use, quick, and cheaper than Iphone (have got mine on a 25pd contract.. 500 mins, 500mb, unlim texts. Personally have the Desire S and would Recommend  
  • As far as network coverage goes

3 is a big no no. Never had it but all the people i've known that have say it's the biggest pile of shit going.

I've heard Orange is pretty decent but can't really comment as I've not been with them since the 90's.

Used to be with Vodafone, not too shoddy but always seemed to find loads of dead areas.

Changed to O2 about 5 years ago and have always been impressed with the
    coverage and can probably count the number of times I've not had a
    signal on one hand in all that time.

Of course, you need to find a good deal and weigh up what's best for you.

If you're looking for a contract, it might even work out alot cheaper to
    buy your handset and get a 'sim only' contract, as there are some good
    deals out there if you're prepared to shop about.

Don't assume that the BIG companies are your only option as there's
    plenty of smaller not so well known companies and of course the
    supermarkets that do some great offers (just find out whose network they
    use for coverage, as they're usually tied into one of the big 4.

There's someone on here who does sim contracts, but can't recall who..............
  • My HTC Desire is the best phone I've ever used. It's nearly two years old but still does everything I need. Some of the more recent HTC phones will leave you drooling.

As for providers, I've always been with Vodafone (well, apart from being on T-mobile back when dinosaurs roamed the Earth). It's pretty good, but I also find deadspots occasionally. As others have mentioned, avoid Three like the plague, their network is beyond awful.
  • my HTC desire drives me f*ckin mental. My contract gives me unlimited texts but my phone just simply cannot handle them. to be fair, the rest of the phone such as android apps and the internet is pretty decent...just the text messaging is so slow. constantly has to 'Force Close'. I thought that maybe it was the amount of messages stored slowing the phone down..so i decided to delete some messages. Took an hour to delete 50 and the phone kept crashing.

However, the worst part of the phone is the battery life. Ive installed the updates or patches, or whatever they are called, and it hasnt really made much difference. I take my phone off charge and leave for work at 7:30...battery is usually dead by 4pm.

Its a decent phone but i cant see me getting another HTC when i upgrade, unless the problems have been fixed.

• Sponsored links:

• I've got a Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc on three network....seems to be ok for me.
  • I love my Blackberry Torch it's easy to use and I like the fact I can use the keyboard or touchscreen.
  • HTC Desire on T-Mobile, can use Orange network as well. Battery was a problem but once you adjust some settings it lasts all day (except if you are using it heavily for internet etc).

Use it all the time for internet, mail, music etc. Only  thing the Iphone 4 has on it for me is the Ipod facility which is better than the android music players and the camera/video. Apart from that its much cheaper and just as good. Make sure you check out Quidco before you sign up to any new contract though.

• I have 3 contacts on 3, mine the wife and my eldest son. I've never had a problem with them. Genuinely get a good signal everywhere, apart from inside the O2 arena.

Signal at the Valley is brilliant.

I've got a work BB on Vodafone and the signal is crap everywhere.

Wife uses a Samsung Android, I've got an iPhone 4. I doubt I will ever stray from Apple.
  • Think i remember somewhere that the iphone4 can run on standby for 300 hours and Apple usually update battery on every product, so thats another good reason to go apple.

• I have had the IPhone for 18 months now and it's by far the best phone i have ever had. Having said that , its not very compatable with the Charlton Life forum.

HTC do good phones.
    Or on Shootershill, 3 are dog ****
  • I have 3 contacts on 3, mine the wife and my eldest son. I've never had a problem with them. Genuinely get a good signal everywhere, apart from inside the O2 arena.

Signal at the Valley is brilliant.

I've got a work BB on Vodafone and the signal is crap everywhere.

Wife uses a Samsung Android, I've got an iPhone 4. I doubt I will ever stray from Apple.
    Get up my place, you can sit and watch the signal go up and down on the phone 99% of the time at home my phone say's emergency calls only.

• my HTC desire drives me f*ckin mental. My contract gives me unlimited texts but my phone just simply cannot handle them. to be fair, the rest of the phone such as android apps and the internet is pretty decent...just the text messaging is so slow. constantly has to 'Force Close'. I thought that maybe it was the amount of messages stored slowing the phone down..so i decided to delete some messages. Took an hour to delete 50 and the phone kept crashing.

However, the worst part of the phone is the battery life. Ive installed the updates or patches, or whatever they are called, and it hasnt really made much difference. I take my phone off charge and leave for work at 7:30...battery is usually dead by 4pm.

Its a decent phone but i cant see me getting another HTC when i upgrade, unless the problems have been fixed.

Sounds like your phone is faulty/broken. Have you tried turning it off and back on again?! I had problems with mine when it I first had it, but let the battery completely empty before recharging which fixed the problem, obviously 3 were of no use what so ever and didn't want to know about my problem.
  • Iphone 5
    HTC Sensation
    HTC Titan
    Galaxy sII
    Nexus Prime

• Sponsored links:

• I'd suggest going to a shop and trying a few out.

Most (if not all) iPhone owners will claim they're easy to use, and I'm sure they are IF they were the first smartphone you used. Having never owned one and been on Android pretty much since release, I find the iPhone difficult to use, simply because it does things differently. So try them both out in a shop and see which you find easier to use.

Battery life for all smart phones is pretty shocking. You'll get 1-1.5 days of moderate use (a few calls, games, internet browsing, etc.). Standby times are great if you don't actually use the phone, it's that big colour, touchscreen that rinses your battery, along with the always on data connection. When I was in America my UK phone pretty much sat in my bag, screen off, and data off (data roaming costs a fortune), and even with a few calls it was lastly 4-5 days on a single charge. Gone are the days of the old nokias that you could charge on a monday, make tons of calls, send loads of text and play snake on for hours on end, and not need to charge until the following weekend.

I have the HTC Desire, excellent phone, not had a single problem and they're dirt cheap at the moment. Wouldn't get an IPhone until the 5 comes out, then you can get either a 5, or look at the 4 as the prices should plummet. However, if you live in an area where the signal is borderline then the iPhone 4 could be worth avoiding, the infamous "you're holding it wrong" signal issue is real and will effect you if your signal is borderline, unless you have some god-awful rubber case. Not sure I see the point in buying a superb piece of visual design, only to rap it in day glow rubber.

Samsung Galaxy S II is currently the best selling smartphone in Europe, so a good bet.
  • I had a Samsung galaxy and it was crap, now got an HTC desire s...really happy with it, brilliant phone, although I use it all the time so the battery life isn't great...

For £21 a month I get unlimited texts, 500mb of internet and 500 minutes...with 02...and the phone was free
  • Wait for iPhone 5 and the Nexus Prime. iOS 5 make the iPhone better and the new phone should be another improvement.

I would never buy a HTC/Samsung Android phone, the skins these companies put on them screws the battery, if you want Android, get a Nexus with stock Android.