Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Churchill Manitoba

Just booked a trip to Churchill in Manitoba to see Polar bears in the wild (and the Northern lights with a bit of luck). Crazy journey to get there from here in Whistler... 2 and a half hour flight, 8 hours on bus, then an 18 hour train journey to the great white north.

Any Canada addicks been? Any recommendations on trips to go on?

Comments

• Options
    Not been to Manitoba, but the Northern Lights were visible from my back garden in Edmonton on friday night. They were pretty amazing even with all the light pollution here so I would imagine they'll blow your socks off if you get to see them somewhere as remote and dark as that.

Sounds like it'll be a great trip.

• Options
    One of my greatest aims is to see the Northern Lights... That and Charlton do the treble!
  • Options
    One of my greatest aims is to see the Northern Lights... That and Charlton do the treble!
    I smoked them once on a trip to Amsterdam. :-)
  • Options
    Better start saving the airmiles!
  • Options
    Not been to Churchill...would love to see polar bears.  We can see the northern lights from our back deck at times but the light pollution spoils it a bit.  Back in 2007 we were in the Kispiox Valley in BC, staying in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere...it felt like the northern lights were going to come down and take us away!!  Kid you not we could hear them!  Hope you get a great experience up there!  This country is the best!
  • Options
    Apparently you could see them here in Whistler this weekend as well... I was in the local Irish bar and missed it!
  • Options
    Was up in Churchill this week... highly recommend the trip to any Canadaddicks on here. Pretty special to see polar bears in their natural environment, along with the Northern lights.

Photo's uploaded here for anyone interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69487005@N06/6314849617/in/set-72157628058666850/
  • Options
    Was up in Churchill this week... highly recommend the trip to any Canadaddicks on here. Pretty special to see polar bears in their natural environment, along with the Northern lights.

Photo's uploaded here for anyone interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69487005@N06/6314849617/in/set-72157628058666850/
    nice it's definitely on my list, mind you at -20 outside at the moment I've got half an eye out for Polar Bears around here today......
  • Options
    Ha... was actually surprisingly mild up there (around minus 2 most of the time). It's colder back here in Whistler at the moment!
  • Options
    Some great pictures there mate
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I've always wanted to visit Canada. Those pictures are making me want to go all the more.

• Options
    edited November 2011

Missed this thread first time round, I went to Churchill in 1998 it was terrific seeing the bears in the wild. Great pictures BTW Crazy, this is one of mine from way back when

.image

• Options
    Some great photos would love to experience this one day