Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlie Macdonald

edited September 2011 in General Charlton
Finally seems ready for this league 2 in 2.

Still proud when a product of ours comes good no matter which of the 'pro' leagues or when they left.

Comments

• Options
    I was in the crowd when he came on and scored for us, seems a long time ago now
  • Options
    On the radio said it was 3 in 3,I think he scored in JPT
  • Options
    To be honest, I don't think of him as an ex player as he didn't really play for us. Just like Shittu and that old Leicester defender Matt Elliot................and Danny Green. ;-)
  • Options
    Still a youth product.
  • Options
    He has been ready for a while now, scored around 16/17 goals for Brentford if I recall correctly 2 seasons ago.
  • Options
    Remember him scoring on his debut.  Always thought it was weird that he ended up washing about with a couple of non league clubs, as he seemed well above that level.
  • Options
    Remember seeing him a few times plying his trade down the fleet. He was way too good for that level and finished the season with (I believe) 40 goals.
  • Options
    2005–2007 Gravesend & Northfleet 61 (39)
  • Options
    He's got a second chance and good luck to him, as long as he leaves his shooting boots at home when we play the Dons...
  • Options
    He helped us beat qpr in the cup I think late winner I like it when a youth comes through even if it takes time always seemed like a nice kid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't he score winner against Newcastle in Prem????
  • Options

As others have said, I remember him scoring v QPR (I was mascot for the game)

Was it on SKY?

Glad he's done well, always good to see youth products go on to do well....just a shame its for MK Dons now as they are looking good.

• Options
    edited September 2011

Think it was equaliser, surprised we let him go.  Even bobby robson was saying what a talent he was.  Obviously lost his way and took a while to get back into the league, but that goal against the toon was a cracker
  • Options
    I always got the feeling that he came into senior football at a time when the traditional goal poacher was being replaced by the all-round athlete and that counted against him. He's not fast, or big or even particularly skillfull, but he knows where the goal is. In the Charlton youth team he played up front with none other than Leigh Hales, son of.
  • Options
    The best thing about that goal was i think Newcastle hadn't won in London for something like 4 seasons. So of course it was even sweeter knowing we were not going to help break that record.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I believe that MacDonald's goal was an equaliser - the game ending  1-1 (2001 I think). I remember him scoring at the North Stand end, hooking it in on the turn if I remember correct. His goal celebration nearly went pear-shaped.

What's Leigh Hales up to these days? He went to Dover Athletic around the same time as above game.
  • Options
    Yh I remember it being the 1-1 game now.
  • Options
    MacDonald left us simply because he wasn't good enough.We were a prem club and he was (at the time) a non-league player. He's now a good L1 player and we're a good L1 club.
  • Options
    I had lunch with Peter Varney many years ago and the one young unknown player he was excited about was Charlie MacDonald. 

He would almost certainly have stayed longer if CAFC hadn't progressed so much in the late nineties. 
  • Options
    I had lunch with Peter Varney many years ago and the one young unknown player he was excited about was Charlie MacDonald.

Bet his son was pleased with that!!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I believe that MacDonald's goal was an equaliser - the game ending  1-1 (2001 I think). I remember him scoring at the North Stand end, hooking it in on the turn if I remember correct. His goal celebration nearly went pear-shaped.

What's Leigh Hales up to these days? He went to Dover Athletic around the same time as above game.

Last time I saw Leigh Hales he was with killer in the oak around the time we got relegated from the prem . I remember because I hadn't seen him and asked killer what his boy Leigh was up to now and he said "smoking a fag" , so I turned round and he was at the bar puffing away with a pint in his other hand.
  • Options
    Pretty sure we offered Charlie Mac a new deal which he turned down to try his luck elsewhere. Unfortunately he was looking for a new club when ITV digital went tits up meaning that many potential suitors were looking at trimming squads rather than looking for Prem league fringe players stepping down a level.

Hes worked bloody hard to get a career out of the game doing a long stint of non league.
  • Options

His son would have been a bit too young then.
  • Options

His son would have been a bit too young then.
    I thought Leigh Hales and Regs son were around the same time.  By Regs son I don't mean Luke.
  • Options
    Okay, then - next question. Whatever happened to Alex Varney ........?
  • Options
    Think he ended up at Gravesend & Northfleet (as I still call them), Oggy, but that was a while ago: haven't heard of him for some time.
  • Options
    As T said he was easily league quality.  Cheltenham would prob have snapped him up at the time, if it weren't for the collapse of ITV digital....  Nice one Scally you negotiated yourself fuck all there.

OK so at Southend he wasn't a hit, any player can get the wrong club and disappear, but it's not easy to fight your way through average conference clubs and come back into the league especially in the era he did it in.  Proved himself both in League one and League two, but I don't think he can consistently stay higher than that.  Maybe at say a Doncaster, or Scunthorpe he could have had a few seasons in the champ, but his lack of pace and presence prob means this is his level.  Much like McGleish we did not make a mistake letting him go at the time.
  • Options
    Think he ended up at Gravesend & Northfleet (as I still call them), Oggy, but that was a while ago: haven't heard of him for some time.

Fairly certain he's a journo now. Have seen his name on a few articles, and quite a few about us. You'd think he'd have a connection or two :p
  • Options
    last time I saw Varney's son he was playing Sunday league in the Bromley & Orpington league!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Was he any good in that match, Athletico?