Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best Live Albums

Comments

• Options
    It's interesting that so many people are saying The Who Live at Leeds because one of my old school-friends is a massive massive Who fan and he says that the sound on that album doesn't reflect the sound they typically got at gigs at that time. 

My favorite: Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous

Ken mentioned Free Live - I feel that this was a "contractual obligations" album - All Right Now is very poor - you can hear that Koss is having trouble with a duff lead.

There are a few others I like but I can't think of them at the moment.

• Options
    Jimmy Page and the Black Crows live at the Greek.
  • Options
    Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é

Genuinely amazing album.
  • Options
    If you want blood - AC/DC
  • Options
    It's Alive - The Ramones
    Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy - even though supposedly a significant part of it was added in the studio
    Bob Marley - Live at the Lyceum
  • Options
    Ken mentioned Free Live - I feel that this was a "contractual obligations" album - All Right Now is very poor - you can hear that Koss is having trouble with a duff lead........
    Yes quite a raw album, but it did  capture the spirit of the times, and  subsequent other live albums did suffer from overdubbed and editing. I started to get bootlegs from 1970-1978, and although the sound quality was pretty poor,  it is amazing how the record companies edited and segmented the tracks. Performances also became longer with bands playing bigger venues etc. We do not hear too many LP's from the Beatles and the stones prior to 1970, and Live at Shea was released years after. As a collector of Hendrix  concerts, he played pretty much a set list up until  1969. Tuning up beetween songs and sometimes during them!. Of course the songs themselves were sometimes rather extended jams, with tracks like 'tax free', and  'hear my train a coming'. Improvisation was an important element, it always amazes me that some record executive decided to edit out whole sections of songs of jimi to  release them. In my opinion it is a bit like cutting a painting in half and airbrushing elements out to 'improve  the song' Hendrix's performance at the Isle of Wight is a good example. As Jimi Page once stated he found this 'ghastly' , no wonder he took control of his own productions.
    Live and Dangerous, excellent album, and captures an excellent feeing of a live performance.
  • Options
    The Byrds Live at the Fillmore 1969 - fairly recently released, Clarence White featuring heavily....a really good live album if you are into the late 60's Byrds sound - as I am.
  • Options
    Metallica - S&M (Not as it sounds)
    Nirvana - Unplugged

• Options
    Frampton Comes Alive

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Jimmy Page and the Black Crows live at the Greek.

Yep and I add,

Five Live Yardbirds - The Yardbirds 

Performance: Rockin' The Fillmore - Humble Pie

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great call Bing
    Just dug out my Be Bop Deluxe Live and it really is perfect! Thanks
  • Options
    Deep Purple - Nobody's Perfect
    Magnum - The Spirit. Their studio albums were, IMO, poorly produced but this live album is excellent.
    AC/DC - If You Want Blood
    Tesla - 5 Man Acoustical Jam
    Nirvana - Unplugged
    Ozzy Osbourne - Speak of the Devil

• Options
    Pink floyd live at Pompeii,(technically a DVD) the sound and playing is amazing.

Also Black Sabbath live in Paris '74.
  • Options

Motorhead - No Sleep til Hammersmith

Iron Maiden - Live after Death

Marillion - Real to Reel

and the timeless classic that is.......

Somewhere in England - Dumpy's Rusty Nuts

• Options
    "cowshit under my wheels"
  • Options
    Great call Bing
    Just dug out my Be Bop Deluxe Live and it really is perfect! Thanks
    Some years ago I was given the idea of listening to my vinyl collection in alphabetical order... I survived ABBA and the Average White Band, but I just could not face Be Bop Deluxe! Maybe I could now...
  • Options
    under a blood red sky - u2

Yep, same for me.

• Options
    Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy Dig the New Breed - The Jam Unplugged - Nirvana

Oh Forgot

"If you want blood..." AC/DC with the classic version of Whole lotta Rosie

Under a Blood Red Sky - U2

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy Dig the New Breed - The Jam Unplugged - Nirvana

Oh Forgot

"If you want blood..." AC/DC with the classic version of Whole lotta Rosie

Under a Blood Red Sky - U2

Dig The New Breed was a collection of live tracks, does it count as a live album?
  • Options
    Wingless Wonders - Stones bootleg from 1972 Exile era plus some Exile Studio out takes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some great ones on here ... would also add Glastonbury Fayre, triple album from 1972 (which I still have) ... Bowie, Townsend, Bolan, Hawkwind, Pink Fairies, etc
  • Options

David Live is awful, even Bowie said that. He said it should have been renamed David is actually still alive and not as dead as he sounds on this LP!

Elvis 1968 Comeback Special - Hmmmm not strictly speaking a "Live " album. It wasn't a concert as such it was a TV show. Ok he did sing live but some of the songs, If I Can Dream for example, was sung against a backing track rather than live instruments.

I'd replace those two albums with Stage (1978) Bowie at his absolute peak and Elvis Live at Madison Square Gardens (1974 I think), again an artist (THE artist?) at the height of his powers.

• Options
    Jeff Buckley - Live at Sin-é

Genuinely amazing album.
    Wasn't that technically an EP?
  • Options
    The Roxy London WC2 - various artists ... not the greatest sound but evocative of the time
  • Options

and the timeless classic that is.......

Somewhere in England - Dumpy's Rusty Nuts

This......

Classic Pub / Club band!
  • Options
    The Roxy London WC2 - various artists ... not the greatest sound but evocative of the time
    remember it as being a bit ropey but it was 35 years ago.

Eddie and Hot Rods Live at the Marquee.  Only an EP but that was great.
  • Options
    Get out of Denver - storming number!

Saw E&THRs at the marquee just after the EP came out, cracking gig 

• Options
    Before the Flood - Bob Dylan and The Band
  • Options
    familiar to millions - oasis - wembley stadium
  • Options
    Get out of Denver - storming number!

Saw E&THRs at the marquee just after the EP came out, cracking gig 

Great ep - I was at the gig - disappointed that I wasn't in the picture on the sleeve! I think that was the gig which was incredibly hot - the sweat was pouring off me. Chanting for the encore was brought to an end by the announcement that 2 of the band had collapsed!