Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I have been on two protests in the last week-ish

12346»

Comments

• Options
    How's it actually going Walshy? Making any progress?
  • Options
    well quite alot actually.

We had the ballot for Balfour Beatty overturned before Christmas. 1200 affected - 840 were balloted - 442 voted - 81.6% in favour for strike action
    Protests have since continued every week across the country. Power stations and Oil refineries have also been walking out on a weekly basis. The most protests/walk-outs we have had in one day across the country was 16
    Balfour Beatty were re-balloted at the end of January/begining of February. 1200 affected - 841 balloted - 440 voted - 67% in favour of strike action and 70% in favour of work to rule.
    Balfour Beatty tried to use the anti union laws again and took the result to court for an injunction. It was heard last week and the judge reserved his decision till thursday (today)
    Wednesday saw protests in America and Australia outside Balfour Beatty offices and threat of industrial unrest if they continue with their actions. We also had a part in park lane last night outside of the ECA Annual Dinner which pissed off quite alot of people attending and drivers who got stuck in the west end jam. Mr Livingstone attended the do and offered us his support if he gets in to office then went in to join the money men.
    Today, Mr Justice Eady ruled in favour of Unite, meaning that they can strike.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Some interesting deveolpments today.

Balfour Beatty lost the court injunction yesterday LINK

And today have withdrawn from the new contracts, withdrawn from the threats of dismissal and wish to kiss and make up LINK

Up the workers
  • Options
    Well done - more power to your elbow. Great news.
  • Options
    Just in case anyone is still showing any interest

Following Balfour Beattys withdrawal from the new contracts, today NG Baileys have also withdrawn. Leaving 5 from the original 8.
    The other 5 should be following suit tomorrow and Friday.
    BESNA deal dead and buried - Construction Enquirer

Makes losing 2k in wages over the last 6 months worth it.
  • Options
    You can even see my banner in that one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done mate, beers on you Saturday!!!
    And Yes you will have to budge up coz I is coming!
  • Options
    I am flying out to Rome on Sat so you will have a bit of room
  • Options
    Pleased with the result of all the striking. These company's have to be shown they can't behave so badly
  • Options
    You can even see my banner in that one
    Banter?
  • Options
    I am flying out to Rome on Sat so you will have a bit of room
    I was getting a bit squashed up there to be honest! Have you seen Harry the face up there lately?
  • Options
    To all the lads on my job who did not care or say that the Union would do nothing,

You were wrong!

Well done to all the sparks and there supporters who have saved there future!
  • Options
    Where are you working?
  • Options
    work for a building company who employ's one of the rogue companies.

most of there lads didn't seem to care!!
  • Options
    We have officially won. All of the seven companies have withdrawn the new contracts and the threats of dismissal
  • Options
    Well done mate, you can officially have a nice holiday!

Few beers when you get back?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Most definitely
  • Options
    We have officially won. All of the seven companies have withdrawn the new contracts and the threats of dismissal
    Absolutely Brilliant !! Well done CWLC and all "The Workers" !!

;-)
  • Options
    Mmm very naughty ... not surprised unfortunately
  • Options
    I did.
    its on the front page of the Observer today with a double page spread inside
  • Options
    If you are going through London Bridge tomorrow morning between 6:45am and 8:00am then come and say hello
  • Options
    I thought it was time to resurrect this thread as the biggest construction project in Europe has been attracting attention over the last three years. Which is now coming to a head.

Three freinds of mine have been sacked for raising H&S concerns. The first one led to a year long campaign and he ended up being reinstated. He is still working there now.
    Four weeks ago two electricians were sacked from different stations in the same week. One at Bond St and the other at Whitechapel.

The below Guardian article was written last year, shortly before Rene was tragically killed.
    http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/26/crossrail-workers-culture-spying-fear

https://www.facebook.com/events/622292574536937/
  • Options
    Just seen this thread, one of my son's works on the cross rail project, and is in the next couple of weeks being transferred to the Whitechapel site. He is a plumber though. Works for Balfour, originally Haydn Young. That black list that BB has been involved with looks out of order, well done for your efforts. Have to have a word with my son...........
  • Options
    I've been approached 3 times now by crossrail to which I've declined immediately, I would never walk near that contract, let alone touch it with a bargepole, always hearing bad things from people I know working on it.
  • Options
    There will be some good money to be earn't on it though.