Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Can Daniel beat the Russian Roman ?

I am becoming increasingly annoyed by the Billionaires who are treating the game that I grew up loving like a toy set !  The " I've got more money then you Brigade"  are for me ruining the game. Winning the Premier League has now become the province of 5 or 6 Clubs, for the rest it's all about survival. Football Clubs are Businesses, and as such should be made to operate profitably within their means. Of course because of the power of money to influence weak people, it won't change. For me it is indicative of the " I'm in this for myself " culture which begins with Politicians of all colours, and permeates down. Go on Dan, stick it up him for me. 

Comments

• Refreshing argument
  • I have no idea who Daniel is.
  • Sort of agree with ya but how would you feel if an Arab billionaire came in and bought us and started throwing money at trying to buy success
  • I am one of those old guys who loves CAFC for what it has always been, a family Club that everybody almost can afford to support. Your Arab would probably stick all the prices up, and maybe bring in the prawn sandwich brigade. I enjoyed life in the Premiership, and noticed a lot of Scandinavian supporters at the games, but all I need is to see 11 players playing for the shirt and playing good football.
    SPIRIT OF 1947, Daniel Levy Chairman of Tottenham, sorry I thought everyone was aware of the Modric story. By the way if you have no idea who Modric is, we can never be friends ( joke ).
  • I don't know who Modric is as it happens, don't follow Premier League at all at the moment, just the shitty division we're currently in.
  • The likes of City and Chelski deciding to sign your players is a wonderful bonanza.  I like the way Levy operates, squeezing as much as he can out of the deal.  I wish that we took a harder line, sometimes.
  • Huge chunks of UK industry, infrastructure and property are owned by foreigners, for example, most power/utility companies, railways and airports. Why should football clubs be an exception ?. The present state of the British economy dictates that we need all the foreign investment and influx of cash that we can get, unfortunately.
  • Huge chunks of UK industry, infrastructure and property are owned by foreigners, for example, most power/utility companies, railways and airports. Why should football clubs be an exception ?. The present state of the British economy dictates that we need all the foreign investment and influx of cash that we can get, unfortunately.
    But those other busineeses aim to run at a profit.
  • Football Clubs are Businesses, and as such should be made to operate profitably within their means.
    Isn't this what the UEFA Financial Fair Play directive is aimed at:

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/protectingthegame/financialfairplay/index.html

I can't see what you're worrying about anymore because Man City & co only have a little time left to get their players in before this comes into effect. Perhaps this is why Arsenal are 'taking it easy' for the time being.
  • they pay these players monster wages im sure they have to pay tax in the uk , thats a good thing surely 
  • Sponsored links:

• Levy is a dick of the highest order i hope modric leaves on the last min of the last hour so they cant replace him,

Parker is an addition to his squad but a direct replacement for modric no chance 2 totally different footballers,

Levy is a hard nosed twat, and after saying no way will he leave he is going to mug himself off proper and good, i dispise the man,

kiddie football thief

• Football Clubs are Businesses, and as such should be made to operate profitably within their means.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfirst/protectingthegame/financialfairplay/index.html

I can't see what you're worrying about anymore because Man City & co only have a little time left to get their players in before this comes into effect. Perhaps this is why Arsenal are 'taking it easy' for the time being.
    Unless some 'random' arab company pays 20mill for some advertising space.....
  • Within 2 years all clubs have to work within the profits so that rule is being put in place. Im afraid its kind of a compromise for having the best league in the world ( thats how I see it anyway).

In theory this won't be allowed to be included in calculations. You can work out what any club should earn through advertising, seat prices, etc. Any monies over and above the projected figure will not count. Whether this works in practice, well we'll have to wait and see.
  • Spurs are hardly paupers - 12
    million for Winston Palacios anyone?
  • Spurs are hardly paupers - 12 million for Winston Palacios anyone?
    I can't belive that Stoke are ready to pay £6 million for him
    Huge chunks of UK industry, infrastructure and property are owned by foreigners, for example, most power/utility companies, railways and airports. Why should football clubs be an exception ?. The present state of the British economy dictates that we need all the foreign investment and influx of cash that we can get, unfortunately.
    true, I'm thinking more of the money brought into the economy, especially for retauranteurs,  for supercar dealers and estate agents for example, plus the taxes the players pay, if they are silly enough not to avoid UK taxation
  • Spurs are hardly paupers - 12 million for Winston Palacios anyone?
    I can't belive that Stoke are ready to pay £6 million for him
    Huge chunks of UK industry, infrastructure and property are owned by foreigners, for example, most power/utility companies, railways and airports. Why should football clubs be an exception ?. The present state of the British economy dictates that we need all the foreign investment and influx of cash that we can get, unfortunately.
    true, I'm thinking more of the money brought into the economy, especially for retauranteurs,  for supercar dealers and estate agents for example, plus the taxes the players pay, if they are silly enough not to avoid UK taxation

They pay taxes on their wages - but the royalties on the use of theirname and image rights etc can be legally off-shored. Dennis Bergkamp won a test case a few years ago that established the use of his name and image rights were universal and not confined to his footballing ability for which he was being paid and taxed on.
  • true, I'm thinking more of the money brought into the economy, especially for retauranteurs,  for supercar dealers and estate agents for example, plus the taxes the players pay, if they are silly enough not to avoid UK taxation
    They pay taxes on their wages - but the royalties on the use of theirname and image rights etc can be legally off-shored. Dennis Bergkamp won a test case a few years ago that established the use of his name and image rights were universal and not confined to his footballing ability for which he was being paid and taxed on.
    I didn't know that .......  is there is no way that a player can 'off-shore himself' as a company to avoid income tax ?. What is the Tevez position where he is basically owned by a company/consortium (thus necessitating a move every 2 years to maximize his profitability) ?
  • Well I have to be honest, I was staggered to hear HR say on SSN last night that Levy turned down £40m for Modric.
    I admire him for sticking to his guns but only time will tell whether he made the correct decision.

I honestly thought that £30m plus a player would have tipped it but no.

Will be interesting to hear what reaction his name gets when its read out before the Liverpool game weekend after next...

In theory this won't be allowed to be included in calculations. You can work out what any club should earn through advertising, seat prices, etc. Any monies over and above the projected figure will not count. Whether this works in practice, well we'll have to wait and see.
    City has already secured some lucrative advertising contracts.  I don't see an issue with this type of revenue.  I think the big worry has to be the type of owner that invests heavily and then just wanders off leaving the club to foot the salary bills (Pompey/Brum/West Ham)
  • Sponsored links:

• Well I have to be honest, I was staggered to hear HR say on SSN last night that Levy turned down £40m for Modric.
    I admire him for sticking to his guns but only time will tell whether he made the correct decision.

I honestly thought that £30m plus a player would have tipped it but no.

Will be interesting to hear what reaction his name gets when its read out before the Liverpool game weekend after next...
    Levy is the front man for Joe Lewis an offshore (somewhere in the W/indies) billionaire and major shareholder in Bear Stearns a 'merchant bank' that narrowly escaped the same fate as Lehmann Bros but is now rolling in dough again. So, Joe Lewis is seriously seriously wealthy and Spurs is one of his toys. He owns another club in Europe somewhere, I am too lazy to 'wiki' the details. This means that although he likes to run Spurs at a profit, when it comes to the nitty gritty, Joe Lewis can tell Levy to tell anyone to f*** off, hence, he got annoyed with Chelsea and Modric, pulled rank and Moddy stays, unlike Crouch and Bentley, Palacios and Hutton who got away.