Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Leon Cort

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
SLP reporting that he is set to sign on season long loan.

Jury's out for me.

Comments

• burnley really don't rate him.
  • cant say iv ever seen him play anyone got any info on the guy just seen he has a good disciplinary record thats all i can jist from wikipedia

Bournemouth didnt rate Wiggins
    Exeter didnt rate Taylor.
    Sheff Weds didnt rate Morrison.
    Preston didnt rate Hayes.

I'm noticing a theme.
  • Just saw that, good player imo, especially for
    League 1
  • Don't know much about him tbh but this is league one we are talking about. 1.5 million a year ago !
  • good player for league one strong,  powerful, reasonably quick and good in the air! However hasnt be playing first team football!
  • Former Palace player. Can't believe it, Powell would never stand for that.

Wiki says he's 6 ft 3 so he passes the height test.
  • Ex Palace I believe.

Bournemouth didnt rate Wiggins

they did, just didn't like him because he wanted to leave.
  • Sponsored links:

• Decent player at this level, not sure we need that much cover at centre half though, maybe Doc or Mambo on their way.
  • Decent player at this level, not sure we need that much cover at centre half though, maybe Doc or Mambo on their way.
    id be very worried if doc and mambo were are only cover at cb
  • CB cover essential imho. Cort it would seem will provide real competition not only cover.

Docs pushing 50 and Mambo is very very wet around the ears. Add the fact that Morrison is injury prone. Believe me. We need cover
  • Hopefully Doddery can be put out to grass now
  • Has commanded what would appear some big fee's in recent times, be interesting to see if he comes straight - now for a FW
  • Doc out, Benno out, Francis out. CH and two forwards in. Happy days.
  • Benno & Francis will be hard to replace, not happy days!!!!!!
  • League 1 club, Charlton Athletic are closing in on the loan signing of Clarets defender Leon Cort according to the local South London media.

The former Crystal Palace and Stoke 31 year old looks set for a season at The Valley.

Cort is a Londoner himself, born in Southwark so could be tempted by such a move.

Cort was one of Brian Laws signings and came to Burnley in a £1.5million transfer from Stoke in January 2010. He struggled though to gain a regular place in the team and last season spent a period out on loan to Preston.

Most Clarets fans have been dismissive of the centre back and would not shed too much of a tear should he leave the club permanently. He clearly does not feature in Burnley's plans with Barry Kilby saying recently, it would be better both for the player and club if they parted company.

In some ways a loan might be viewed as a disappointment but either way the club look unlikely to ever recoup the £1.5 million they forked out on him.His contract was for three-and-a-half years too so he could be on the books until the summer of 2013 if no club shows any interest in signing him permanently.

Read more: http://www.burnley.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=253206#ixzz1WPdBXPzW
  • Who would want to take Doc of our hands though? If Cort was to come in as 3rd choice and Doc 4th then i'd be happy. Mambo out on loan for experience if this happens.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's older than Doc but not a bad acquisition for a year long loan but I still think we need cover up front
  • Ex Palace I believe.
    and ex Millwall!
  • Glad to see this - we do need CB cover....it's a long old season!
  • This is probably a good deal for Burnley. Reading that article, it seems like they'd like to cash in on him and try to re-coup some of the money they've spent. No takers, so a spell out on loan where we contribute a chunk of his wages and if he does well, we're putting him in the shop window. I couldn't see this one turning into a permanant deal for us due to his wages. Can't see the fee becoming an issue as I honestly think they'd just be happy to cut their losses and just get him off the wage bill.

Sounds like they're in a similar position as we were in 3 seasons ago. The big difference is that they have a manager capable of re-building the team, we didn't.
  • Ok player for us no transfer fee,get another striker Charlton.
  • Not sure why we need another defender especially if he's just going to sit on the bench ( if he's lucky)
  • feel sorry for Yado
  • Yado deserves to be next in line if something happens to Taylor or Morrison . He's entitled to be royaly pissed off if he's not.
  • Not sure why we need another defender especially if he's just going to sit on the bench ( if he's lucky)

What ?

When Taylor or Morrison get injured or suspended we'll be starting Doherty or Mambo. I won't say anymore because the facts speak for themself. 

I think the point is we have 2 CB's who have both had injurys int he past.  There is no way they will both get through the season without the occasional knock and/or suspension so we need quality cover when that hapens.  Neither Doc or Mambo have shown themselves to be capable of providing this cover in a way most would be comfortable with (one game against Reading reserves aside).