Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Some concerns

2»

Comments

• Options
    I apologise for daring to have an opinion based on watching the match...

I would like Hamer to turn into a v good goalie, and let's hope he can. I am not saying he is no good - just that there is clearly a learning curve to go through. If he turns out to be as good as Bob Bolder, then I will be delighted!  I have just felt all along that we should have signed a more experienced keeper - for me it is as vital a position as CF, and I just hope we do not come to rue that decision.
  • Options
    I apologise for daring to have an opinion based on watching the match...

I would like Hamer to turn into a v good goalie, and let's hope he can. I am not saying he is no good - just that there is clearly a learning curve to go through. If he turns out to be as good as Bob Bolder, then I will be delighted!  I have just felt all along that we should have signed a more experienced keeper - for me it is as vital a position as CF, and I just hope we do not come to rue that decision.

You don't need to apologise for having an opinion & I agree that ideally a more experienced keeper may have been better. But Hamer has about the same experience as Elliot & more than Sullivan. He's played 94 games for Football league clubs, he's 6' 4" and age 23. He looks the part, Elliot I'm afraid didn't for the most part, due to his condition.

I say give him a chance, before we start criticising. Tbf Elliot had a couple of seasons to prove himself & did not sufficiently.

However, you may be right, we will have to see, but we won't know if we don't play him.

• Options
    Can I add something different ? How we deal with free kicks ,corners etc should be the province of the Coaches. It's a vital area, and needs to be carefully covered on the training ground, not left to the players to improvise during a game.
  • Options
    Lets bring a note of sanity to this discussion. 

I haven't yet seen Hamer play for us but judging him on the strength of one or two "flaps" is not sensible. 'Keepers are a rare breed and decent ones are rarer than rocking horse shit. 

Goal keeping is a "confidence" position. Look at Manures new 'keeper. Reckoned by the pundits to be an outstanding keeper - hence Manure went for him. In his first league game he was very nervous and his handling was unsure. He will grow in confidence.

Hamer I am sure will grow in confidence as well.

Is Robbie the answer? Not that I have seen over the last few years I am afraid to say. Maybe it was a fitness/weight thing but he wasn't as consistent a performer as he should be.

Give Hamer a chance before passing judgement.
  • Options
    we should get that keeper who scored for Preston ; ) 
  • Options
    We should let Newcaslte have Elliot for 100k + Steve Harper. Then we can let Harper play until Gough or Pope are ready :)
  • Options
    Very, very odd thread. Not sure why anyone would want to discuss perceived negatives after the start we've had. The concept of dropping hamer after one game, is frankly mental.
  • Options
    Would also like to mention that Waggy is not a centre forward and is not expected to be a centre forward. He was asked to play as an attacking midfielder / deep lying forward. Big difference and Waggy could easily play that position and make it his own. Many people say he is not a very good winger so either way somebody will moan.