Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Officials last night!

edited August 2011 in General Charlton
As everyone seems to be feeling nice and upbeat, let's have some good old fashioned vitriol, shall we? I was sitting in the East Stand last night and the lino was absolutely terrible, missing all sorts of niggly fouls and more than one obvious handball. I know the ref booked two Reading players (correctly IMO) but he was generally very poor as well. I'm still not sure where 4 minutes added time came from either.

Am I being harsh or does anyone else agree?

Comments

• Options
    Thought he had a good game up until Reading scored and then he just seemed to get everything wrong. After the shower that was Saturday's officials he may just have been good in comparison
  • Options
    I thought the ref was terrible last night. I was in the west stand and he missed two huge fouls and the throw/corner insident was ridiculous!!!
  • Options
    Do you think that it was a coincidence that, apart from the goals, the biggest cheer of the night came when he gave a decision our way. Irony by the masses.
  • Options
    In the first minute of the game.. their first free kick was taken when the ball was rolling. Both the ref and the lino missed it and it was right under the lino's nose. Worst officials yet this season. They seemed to of improved from last season though.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    On the subject of officials - some bloke has spent last season's premiership results and has worked out that if officials had not made any errors and scores were adjusted in relation to clear mistakes - Wigan and Wolves would have been relegated instead of Birmingham and Blackpool and Arsenal would have finished 2nd - just behind Man Utd. People say decisions even themselves out over the cours eof the season but you tell that to the teams that lost out. The research was done to highlight why the game should introduce technology btw. Anybody else seen this?
  • Options
    No Mutts, where was this? got a link?
  • Options
    sportingintelligence.com.
  • Options
    Link doesn't work - this is best I can do

A researcher has claimed that refereeing mistakes last season cost Blackpool and Birmingham their place in the Premier League, while Arsenal 'should' have finished as runners-up.

Journalist and broadcaster Tim Long analysed the impact of 713 'significant' officiating decisions in the 2010-11 season, and calculated what the table might have looked like if the correct calls had been made.

Long conducted the research for a radio documentary, 'Beyond The Goal Line: Football’s Technology Debate', which addresses the importance of using technology to help referees. His findings were published on sportingintelligence.com.

Long's conclusions were startling, with no fewer than 15 Premier League clubs changing position - by as much as four places - in the corrected table.

Wrong decisions cost Arsenal four points last season, demoting them from second to fourth. Manchester United would still have been champions, albeit with three fewer points.

The effect on the bottom would have been even greater - if all major decisions had been right, Long believes Wigan and Wolves would have been relegated instead of Birmingham and Blackpool.

West Ham were the biggest victims of refereeing errors, which cost them seven points. However, the Hammers would still have gone down in 18th place.

Long said his aim was not to be critical of match officials, who were doing the best job possible under the circumstances, but to illustrate the material impact of incorrect decisions.

He told Sporting Intelligence: "More than 500 of the decisions out of 713 were right. But that still leaves just over 200 wrong calls in significant incidents over the course of the season.

"And while not all those would have changed a result, quite a few of them would have done so."

Sporting Intelligence: The table that shows how Arsenal and Blackpool were cheated last season

Tim Long's website.

• Options
    They were collectively hopeless last night.

Was expecting more than 4mins. In the event he blew up 30secs early.

Howard was lucky to stay on. Got away with murder. 2/3 two footed tackles. One sent CP mental.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Muttley - that isn't "research" it is pure speculation.  Say one of those decisons was not to give Arsenal a penalty after 20 mins, and the match ended 1-1, I assume he is counting that as "costing two points".  The reality is that the game might have been very different if Arsenal had scored a pen after 20 mins - it would change the nature of the game.  And who is to say that it was definitely a penalty anyway?  Nearly all football decisions still have an element of subjectivity, other than whether the ball crosses the line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good point, Tango!
  • Options
    and assuming the penalty is scored as well.........
  • Options
    when the ref finally got some thing right we cheered like we scored. I was in east stand also : )