Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Green

124»

Comments

• Options
    Follows a very bitter interview with Henry Winter (paywall): https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/alan-green-the-bbc-has-shown-me-very-little-respect-it-s-all-about-banter-now-80jh3ccxz

The direction Five Live is taking is worrying, but Green should have been out of the door years ago.
  • Options
    The whole laddy Monday Night Club/Friday show thing is fucking hard work to listen to. Chris Sutton doing his act is awful, not saying Alan Green should be on the station, as his act was wearing thin
  • Options
    Didn't agree with letting Pougatch go. No objections at all to seeing the back of Alan Green though - sounds like a pain in the arse with an over-inflated opinion of his own talent and importance.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    And here I was thinking there would be no good news today. Don't let door hit you on the way out.
  • Options
    Feel very sorry for Pogatch, but Green has been a pain for years.
  • Options
    Pogatch is on a fair old whack from BT Sport and ITV Sport
  • Options
    I don't agree with many of the 5L changes...except this one. I've always found him really annoying
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Enough to get himself some bitches and a range rover?
  • Options
    Being released by the BBC. Said to be "angry and disappointed". Follows Mark Pougatch out the door as he doesn't fit the mould of the modern day BBC commentator/journo/pundit.
    Who’s he going to moan to about his cup of tea/pie now?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So Alex Ferguson ignoring him is no longer the biggest story in sport? I am greatly relieved.
  • Options
    I always thought him a poor commentator, not describing things, constantly saying 'penalty air' instead of 'area', patronising distain for those he regards as small clubs, a clumsy attempt to deny he supports Liverpool which fools no one, and even complaining about the volume of a grounds PA system, as if everything at the live event he is supposed to be describing has to be tailored for him.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Enough to get himself some bitches and a range rover?
    All I've got now is Loving Dog from the CassetteBoy in my head now
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    seth plum said:
    I always thought him a poor commentator, not describing things, constantly saying 'penalty air' instead of 'area', patronising distain for those he regards as small clubs, a clumsy attempt to deny he supports Liverpool which fools no one, and even complaining about the volume of a grounds PA system, as if everything at the live event he is supposed to be describing has to be tailored for him.

I know what you mean - yet I like Green for his refusal to get all histrionic and hyper-excited over a dull game.  If it's a nil-nil bore, he says so.  I can't stand the ridiculous froth of hyperbole spouted by the other commentators.  And I agree with a previous poster: those laddish football chats on 5 Live with people like Robbie Savage are horrendous. 
  • Options
    Can’t say I listen to 5Live’s football coverage much these days, it’s mostly ill informed pundits playing up to pantomime rolls and is only really interested in the Premier League, but it always struck me that Alan Green didn’t actually like football, so he should be quite happy he no longer has to work in it. 
  • Options
    Good riddance.
  • Options
    He's nver been my favourite commentator, usually comes across as a pompous ninny, but he's not fallen prey to the current mania for hyperbole and buzzwords and shouting.  There's no shortage of sports coverage over which he'll have opportunities to air his brand of commentary, long ago that one was "BBC or ITV".
    It's all very well being bitter about losing a cushy number but why would one want to carry on working with, let alone for, people one doesn't respect.
    It's just a bump in the road you hadn't spotted AG, keep right on and take the next opportunity that comes along.
  • Options
    And anyone in the entertainment business who works for 45 years - in this case, getting paid well to watch and talk about some of the best football in the world - should consider themselves on the lucky side.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Alan Green is a miserable old fucker and should have been taken off air 10 years ago . 
  • Options
    Finally some good news
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    he's worked for the BBC for 45 years .. had a good run now time to go .. so feck off as 'they' say in Belfast
  • Options
    Rip