Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rob Elliot (Signed for Newcastle for Undisclosed Fee)

Comments

• not so sure that we're in financial dire straits

In comparison to where we were back in 2004/5 (or whenever Parker left) we are!

Slater/Jiminez have secured the debt but we are still a long way from being out of the woods, we can only afford to spend money on core 1st team activities (to secure promotion) and can't even find the dough to fix that bloody Charlton Athletic badge on the back of the stand. Or the potholes in the carpark. Or to clean the seats!

You mean apart from the overhaul of the scouting network and youth training staff?
  • Elliot definitely played his part in this deal regardless of what Robbie might try and say to fans via Twitter. A move to Newcastle was mentioned way back in April in some corridors. I don't blame him for trying to get better wages but I think he wants the best of everything by getting the move and deflecting any criticism from fans of the club he supports. Robbie made requests of the club that he knew we couldn't meet and although that's within his rights, I refuse to believe he hadn't been told he could get what he wanted elsewhere, namely Newcastle. This sort of thing happens all the time. No big shame and only the fan issue is what clouds it a little. Like I said, good luck to him. He could need it under Pardew!

Slater/Jiminez have secured the debt but we are still a long way from being out of the woods, we can only afford to spend money on core 1st team activities (to secure promotion) and can't even find the dough to fix that bloody Charlton Athletic badge on the back of the stand. Or the potholes in the carpark. Or to clean the seats!

You mean apart from the overhaul of the scouting network and youth training staff?

Fair enough, but the vast majority of available funds have been put into strengthening the 1st team squad in order to secure promotion, I don't think there can be much doubt about that.

Bringing in Paul Hart etc. will have cost a fair bit of dough - but will reap dividends in the future - but the main point I am making is that in 2004/5 we could afford to turn down 10 million for Parker because we did not really need the money.

In our current situation we simply cannot afford to lose out on the 500K (or whatever the amount is) that we will get for Elliot whilst he is under contract.

That money is really important to us because it enables us to strengthen in other areas whereas back in 2004/5 that sort of figure - although still a lot of money - was almost inconsequential because of the huge TV revenues we had coming in.

• I'd go without a second thought if I was Robbie a 6ft 3lb fat bastard.

;o)

Realistically though £10k a week from less than £5k a week see ya!

And the new big screen.
  • So apart from sacking PP, appointing SCP, bringing in Jeff Vetere and Paul Hart. A new fitness coach, sixteen decent quality players and a big screen ..... What has Slater and JIminez ever done for us ?
  • can't think he'll be getting £8 or £10k a week as 3rd choice would he? My bet is he wasn't going to be nr.1 this year, didn't get the contract offer he wanted here and therefore has accepted the interest from Newcastle. I'm only guessing and of course i might be wrong, particularly if Newcastle can throw that sort of money about on squad goalkeepers  

• he just branded the 8k rumour as and i quote '  absoloute bollocks'  
  • edited August 2011
    he just branded the 8k rumour as and i quote '  absoloute bollocks'  

Whatever he has asked for doesnt fit our current wage structure.

Personally think this is going to get messy. Would leave him out on Saturday.
  • Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then?

You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign
  • Sponsored links:

• Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then?

You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign

Suspect it isnt on the table anymore.
  • can't think he'll be getting £8 or £10k a week as 3rd choice would he? My bet is he wasn't going to be nr.1 this year, didn't get the contract offer he wanted here and therefore has accepted the interest from Newcastle. I'm only guessing and of course i might be wrong, particularly if Newcastle can throw that sort of money about on squad goalkeepers  

With Pardew involved, nothing would surprise me!
  • Well then Elliot will then sign the deal on the table then? You have to wonder why a devoted Charlton support like 'Robbie' won't sign
    because he'll be getting significantly more being nr 2 or 3 at newcastle than he will being nr 2 or 3 at Charlton? seems reasonable enough to me 
  • Now saying on twitter that he agreed to take a pay cut but couldnt agree......whatever that means?
  • edited August 2011
    So a pay cut but not enough of a pay cut?

I'm confused... why would he be taking a cut? Surely he means he cut his demand on his new contract.

The whole thing stinks to be honest and it's probably best for all concerned if we get a decent fee, Robbie gets an opportunity and a pay rise and we all ride off into the sunset.
  • to be fair , i dont think he will go in the end - with the fans singing his name on saturday and possibly tuesday , i think he will change his mind on going . and stay!

• Maybe he's on 5k now, offered to go down to 4k but we said 2.5k max?
  • A great example of a rumour becoming fact in people's minds.
  • All very weird. He is being very jovial about it on twitter. Does stink a bit of "please dont hate me".

Personally think he should be keeping schtum about it as as much as his comments appear light-hearted, they are a dig at the stories coming out of the club.

Eventually he is going to piss the wrong person off and hang himself.
  • Have to say, I trust the person who told me the 8K thing a lot more than Robbie.

Whenevers they've mentioned stuff in the past, it's happened.
  • Sponsored links:

• Robbie wants to play prem league!
    Good luck and all the best picking the ball out of the Geordie net!
    Championscomemay
  • you reckon the toon will win the prem tel?
  • Goodluck to him I say. What's wrong with wanting to further your career? He won't be a footballer forever and probably wants to make as much as possible and why not?

Can't understand why people get so worked up and give him stick on twitter. Really gets my goat.
  • No way would be currently be on £5k.
  • Not a complete surprise as it was rumoured some time ago that the Toon was beckoning.

Will be sorry to see him go though, mainly because he 's Charlton through & through and very approachable as far as fans are concerned.

However, good luck to him if a move is in his best interests - just wouldn't want to see him permanently warming that cold bench up north.

• Seeing the banter going on between Elliot and Jackson just drives home how little we as fans actually know how the game operates, despite the few snippets that fall our way.

Whatever the real situation is, his skipper doesn't seem to have any problem with it. Not only do these guys know the actual game to a slightly greater degree than any of us will, they know the game surrounding it 100% better than fans will ever understand.
  • Seeing the banter going on between Elliot and Jackson just drives home how little we as fans actually know how the game operates, despite the few snippets that fall our way.

Whatever the real situation is, his skipper doesn't seem to have any problem with it. Not only do these guys know the actual game to a slightly greater degree than any of us will, they know the game surrounding it 100% better than fans will ever understand.

that's way too reasonable!
  • Well said, AFKA.  As far as this particular saga is concerned, I bet that we don't know the half of it!

Whatever happens, I wish Robbie luck in the future, either with us or up at the toon.
  • edited August 2011

He has started with a superb attitude and will be a shame to see him go -- he has been good at the Valley and I wish him well

Don't you think that getting fans in to clean the seats etc, wasn't due to lack of funds but maybe a way of getting fans back on side and pulling together in the same direction. Rallying the troops before battle.

Anyway, Regarding robbie, People are saying how could he go to a premiership club to be 3rd choice?

Well, when we brought in Sullivan, most assumed that he would/should be 1st choice.
    Then Hamer arrived and everyone agreed that he's better than both of our existing keepers...

So by my reckoning, that makes Robbie our 3rd choice? If you're gonna sit on the bench, might as well do it on 4 times your current salary.