Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Colchester 0 - 2 Charlton - Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    was the JJ song to the tune of Heartbeat !?!?
  • Options

(at game)

I can only add to the elation. This was an emphatic win and 2-0 could easily have been more. Against a confident free-scoring side who I still expect to do quite well, we imposed ourselves from the ko and barely gave them a sniff until we were 2-0 up. To their credit they plugged away to the end but it became clearer as the minutes ebbed away that we were more likely to score again, with the back five not prepared even to consider a consolation, and our breaks still carrying a threat after both the original forwards had departed. 

Of course there'll be hiccups but while hard work or attractive skills won't win us anything on their own, we appear to have a near perfect balance of both, at least while the confidence is there to back it all up. We really were simply too good for them, on a ground where they seldom lose (great to see the comments from their fans). Every player did what was asked of them; there really wasn't a weak link, and even when someone as obviously classy as Stephens had a quieter game, others stole the show, from front to back.

Special mentions to Solly, Hollands, and both forwards. That the score stayed respectable was due mainly to some vg saves - not poor finishing. A mentally weaker team would've taken a hiding last night - and some might - but nice to see Colchester largely avoid sulking and dirty tactics. Support was superb; vocal throughout despite no-one to compete against. On & off the pitch, for once the opposition really must've felt a little mis-matched. Now let's make them all feel like that at The Valley.

We've all seena few too many false dawns but there appears to be enough quality and enough hunger to make this last. Great to watch and hard to beat - it can be done.  

• Options
    What was the Dale Stephens song Large?
    To Joy Division's 'Love Will Tear Us Apart' it was :

Dale Stephen's will tear you apart again (but the Dale was sort of shouted followed by a short pause)
    Why not just "Dale will tear you apart", can't imagine how Stephens scans

• Options

A Man Utd rip off song.

Sometimes our originality astounds me

• Options
    It was, 'Dale Stephens tears them apart again'. @Large I must have been sitting near you because the o tried to start it and managed to get a few lads at the back of the block singing it but that was as far as it went.
  • Options
    edited August 2011

A Man Utd rip off song.

Better than having nothing to sing at all IMO. Or perhaps even worse, the Adams Family tune.
  • Options
    I was near the 3 or 4 lads trying to get it the Dale Stepehns song ging. One of them was putting on his best Phil Mitchell voice for it as well.
  • Options
    Great performance and great result last night, fantastic to be there and see hunger and class on the pitch and the fans did our bit as well. It feels like we have finally reached the bottom and we are just starting to put our first few tentative steps on the ladder back up.

Was there a picture of the away end knocking about on here? Can't seem to find it.
  • Options

Powell doesn't give the impression he or his staff is going to allow any player to get carried away. Indeed he has been criticised on here for being a bit too downbeat, but I think this is more a steely determination to complete a job that is yet to be finished and a knowledge that there will undoubtably be some obstacles to negotiate on the way.

Agree abbout the songs- we don't need the insulting ones and pleased they have not been sung in recent games.

• Options

A Man Utd rip off song.

Where did they steal it from?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have to acknowledge it as a bit of a terrace classic, especially with the band's roots. Not quite sure it works for Dale, though I suppose his passing can "tear you apart". Not sure Jacko does much "running down the wing" either but never mind.
  • Options

A Man Utd rip off song.

Where did they steal it from?

Giggs, giggs will tear you apart..... and repeat for effing ages!!!

Its always gonna sound better sung by a northerner cos, well ian curtis was a manc, you need that manc accent to do it justice.

• Options
    We were there last night and lapped up every minute.

Great to see us defending high up the field and forcing the opposition into longer, less controlled passes. How many teams have done that to us in recent times?!

I would like to see us retaining more possession throughout the match. We did this brilliantly in the first half but later in the game, the extra energy and pressure from Colchester prised the ball from us too many times. However, we're no longer shitting bricks every time the other team comes into our half. Defence is solid and has enough pace.

• Options
    how about 'Daaaaaaale, Daaaaaaale' Dale will come and drop the bombs

to the tune of 'daylight come and ....
  • Options
    You could be onto something there, Bexley Dan.....the second bit just needs to scan!
  • Options
    Razil, likewise,sitting in Ceasers as we speak. Back for Saturday.......

Much worth seeing in there? I got spotted by some addicks wearing a charlton polo shirt at Yosemite was that you?
  • Options
    So no one's up for resurrecting the "Powell ain't got a clue" thread then? 
  • Options
    Really enjoyed last night, finally we have a group of players that are giving 100% in every match. Yes i am one of those fans that is saying "lets see where we are at xmas" because we've seen it all before but i'm filled with confidence watching the first few games. What a diffrence this years new signings are compared to last! Would like to see some more of Greeno, i would of brought him on with a bit more time to go but hey who am I to criticise Sir Chris 
  • Options
    was there last night pure class from a very good league 1 team, no complaints from me...also heard rumour that a CB was signed today no names though sorry, anyone else heard this ?
  • Options
    Could this be it ? Remember where it's from though.

Footy Rumours

15 Aug 2011 22:23:02
    Pantelis Kapetanos will sign for Charlton Athletic on loan before Saturday. He is currently playing in the Romanian league for ex Charlton defender Jorge Costa's team.
    I actually spoke to the man today
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hes a striker.
  • Options
    Hes a striker.

Not him then.
  • Options

A Man Utd rip off song.

Well in that case we'd better stop singing Valley Floyd Road then
  • Options

giggs, giggs will tear you apart..... and repeat for effing ages!!!

Its always gonna sound better sung by a northerner cos, well ian curtis was a manc, you need that manc accent to do it justice.

Do it justice ? are you sure ? this is a football crowd the majority of whom are tone deaf, we're supporting the team not auditioning for the X factor.

When we sing "One Danny Hollands" I haven't heard anybody suggesting that without an authentic Mexican accent we're not doing the song justice

• Options

Was there last night.

Nothing left to say at this belated hour ...everyone else has said it so well.

It's just great to be an Addick & to see everyone pulling together both on the pitch and on the "terraces".  Fantastic stuff and let's keep playing our part through the hiccups we're bound to encounter along the away towards May.

I'll be in the Directors' area on Sat as it's my & hubby's turn for the prawn sarnies ( VIP s tkts) Hope I don't show myself up with my usual brand of vocal support !!

Onwards & upwards !!!!

• Options
    edited August 2011
    You could be onto something there, Bexley Dan.....the second bit just needs to scan!
    Daaaaaale,Daaaaaale, Dale will come and turn you over for fun ????????
  • Options
    or simply Daaaaaale,Daaaaaale,Stephens plays and me not want to go home ?!?!
  • Options
    There's nothing football wise to moan about so let's moan about fans trying to create an atmosphere, and moan that they've Nicked a song from man u

I Effing despair at this sometimes
  • Options
    or simply Daaaaaale,Daaaaaale,Stephens plays and me not want to go home ?!?!

like it, or:

Daaaaaale, Daaaaaale, Stephens plays, you might as well go home ?????

• Options
    yep yours wins!