Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Crew Member dies falling off Woolwich Ferry

Comments

• Options
    What an absolute tragedy. You just never know whats round the corner. RIP.
  • Options

Was my girlfriends Cousin.

R.I.P Ben

• Options

Was my girlfriends Cousin.

R.I.P Ben

Awful, really sorry for her loss, R.I.P
  • Options
    tragic RIP & condolences to family/friends
  • Options
    Heard HR people talking about thid when I got in this am. Didnt realise it was a death.

Shocking.
  • Options

More seafarers die each year than any other line of work.

• Options

I only used it last weekend - first time in ages..............took kids over to a park in North Woolwich.

makes you think............

RIP

• Options
    very sad
  • Options

I used to look after the Payroll for the ferries when I worked at Greenwich s know quite a few of them.

Poor kid! RIP

• Options
    RIP sad .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    very sad RIP
  • Options

Sad news.

Back in the dark ages the grandfather of a schoolmate was one of the skippers and a few of us spent some happy hours riding the ferries.

One doesn't always consider the dangers though.

RIP

• Options

As helpful and useful as the Woolwich ferry is, I  question the safety of the boats as they seem so old now.

It's an amazing part of our local area, really.

I hope they continue to run but maybe newer boats/parts could be introduced?

RIP.

• Options
    Rip
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm amazed Thames Clipper cats are allowed to dock going downstream. There's another accident waiting to happen.
  • Options
    R.I.P
  • Options

As helpful and useful as the Woolwich ferry is, I  question the safety of the boats as they seem so old now.

It's an amazing part of our local area, really.

I hope they continue to run but maybe newer boats/parts could be introduced?

RIP.

Probably best to wait until the MAIB has assessed it to find out what happened. Old boats aren't necessarily bad ones and conversely new ones aren't perfect. P&O have just withdrawn their ferries which came into service in January because there's a fault in the design.
  • Options

I used the boat yesterday and am convinced it was young Ben that opened the gates to let me off the boat, returned this morning to find it closed. I now know why.

RIP Ben

• Options
    Horrific,...... a young lad serving the public, and the community, my heart goes out to his family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Terrible news.  Best wishes to his friends and family.
  • Options
    Had a cousin who worked on the Ferry's many many years ago.

BTW I see a lifer is quoted in the Standard story
  • Options
    RIP and condolences to the family.  So few jobs on the Thames nowadays, you forget how dangerous it can be.
  • Options
    RIP, so sad.
  • Options
    so sad and so young - R.I.P.
  • Options
    Friend of a lot of friends. RIP
  • Options
    Passed my condolences on this morning to a crew member who spoke quite suprisingly openly about the mornings events.
    (not for a public forum)
    As I queued and watched people arriving with flowers, the usual banter with loaders and the crew on the boat seemed missing, the only boat working. (I'm guessing! the HSE are inspecting the boat involved)
    He told me, how he was lovely lad, they watched him every morning walk along the jetty listening to his music. A typical 19 year lad who loved life and a laugh went to work and never came home to those who loved him, you could see the hurt in his eyes two days ago he was working along side him, two days ago he let me off the boat with thumbs up sign. And now he's gone at such a young age. RIP
  • Options
    The missus is heartbroken.

Sad indeed. She has been informed not to answer unknown calls as the media are trying to obtain information. She keeps getting upset. I hate seeing women cry!
  • Options
    The missus is heartbroken.

Sad indeed. She has been informed not to answer unknown calls as the media are trying to obtain information. She keeps getting upset. I hate seeing women cry!
    Best wishes to your Good Lady Dizzle.

Ray

• Options
    I will pass it on. Appreciated
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!