Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been on Safari in South Africa?

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related
Want to go next year for special  birthday!  We fancy going to Cape Town and the Garden Route and could go to Eastern Cape and see big 5 there, but is that comparable to Kruger? Really interested in any advice you may have which will not break the bank

Comments

• Hi Kimbo, Kruger is a fantastic trip, but with the travelling from Ct up to J'burg and if you are staying in the camps it can be a bit on the expensive side, even with a favourable exchange rate. Western and Eastern Cape you have BushmansKloof (5 star) apparently fantastic, bit on the expensive side and Aquila 4 star, and a bit cheaper, not sure if they have the big 5 but both meant to be good value. Cape towns fantastic and lots of options, and the garden route, stop off in Wilderness, small but some great places to stay. Knysna and Plett, both have 5 star options but have lots of alternative cheaper accomodation
  • Hi Kimbo,

Me and the missus did Cape Town, an organised excursion along the Garden Route, then a safari on a private reserve about an hour from Port Elizabeth for our joint 50 birthdays, not a bad word to say about anything, would go back in a heart beat.

We saw the big 5 including Leopard which is rare, the good thing about this part of the world is its Mozzy free so you do not need the jabs before you go, I have a SA mate and he said Kruger can be be running alive with them and you get bitten to death. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions plus it will give me a chance to remember all the names of the places etc.