Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Worse grammar than on here

edited July 2011 in Not Sports Related
from todays Sun website , check out the yellow text box at the bottom 

Comments

• It's the future. Should/would/could/might have will be obsolete soon, replaced by could of, would of, might of, etc. The ever changing language.
  • As an English language teacher, I can confirm that the grammar and vocabulary is changing and Americanisms make teaching a pain in the a#%e.
  • Yeah I now, we should'll go back to olde english.
  • I even get text's from my mum and 40 year old sister these days saying things like CU L8R. I have to get out the enigma machine to figure what they say.

For a national newspaper to do something that bad is truly shocking even if it is the sun
  • I even get text's from my mum and 40 year old sister these days saying things like CU L8R. I have to get out the enigma machine to figure what they say.

For a national newspaper to do something that bad is truly shocking even if it is the sun
    The Sun....... just about sums it up
  • I'm happy when language evolves for good reasons but this is pure ignorance and not confined to the so-called 'uneducated'.

• The sun has the worstest grammer and spellink wot Iv'e ever seed in my hole live.  It woz disggust disgusst crap
  • I blame it on Millwall.

• I was going to take the p*** but it would have a) been too easy and b) way over the heads of almost every Spanner
  • I was going to take the p*** but it would have a) been too easy and b) way over the heads of almost every Spanner

As was the sign, legaladdick.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's the future. Should/would/could/might have will be obsolete soon, replaced by could of, would of, might of, etc. The ever changing language.
     'Off of' always makes me smile. 
  • The sun has the worstest grammer and spellink wot Iv'e ever seed in my hole live.  It woz disggust disgusst crap

brilliant! 
  • Language changes and always has. We would hardly be able to understand the english used by past generations. It changes faster and more noticeably now because of greater cultural pressures and technology. It irks me too but foresooth there are worse things to be concerned about.
  • Language changes and always has. We would hardly be able to understand the english used by past generations. It changes faster and more noticeably now because of greater cultural pressures and technology. It irks me too but foresooth there are worse things to be concerned about.
    But the biggest causes of change (certainly over the last decade) are ignorance and laziness.
    But the biggest causes of change (certainly over the last decade) are ignorance and laziness.

Was ever thus ?
  • Wot 'e said !
  • Maybe we should start an olde english only thread. ;-)
  • Maybe we should start an olde english only thread. ;-)
    How about next week someone does a match report in olde english and someone else does it in text speak?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2013
    Stig said:
    Surely the first question is neither of those and the answer is "Its'"?

• 97% (English isn't my fisrt language.) Did have a bit of a struggle with the 'which/that' in the sentence 'Phones that have cameras are generally more expensive.' I thought both were correct...

By the way,a genuine question:I've noticed two thread titles on here with a comparative adjective together with the word 'ever'...How's that possible?I thought 'ever' could only be used after a superlative?
  • Kap10 said:

Maybe we should start an olde english only thread. ;-)
    How about next week someone does a match report in olde english and someone else does it in text speak?

I used to do this on ITV...went down pretty well.

• 100%

Somewhat unsurprisingly, being a grammar pedant of note.
  • I can understand why people get annoyed with journalists struggling to get their grammar right as its their job, but when people pick holes in fellow supporters posts it gets my goat. Would you go up to a fat man drinking a beer in the North Stand and say "better put that down fatty, does no good for you cholesterol". Didn't think so.
  • PopIcon said:

I can understand why people get annoyed with journalists struggling to get their grammar right as its their job, but when people pick holes in fellow supporters posts it gets my goat. Would you go up to a fat man drinking a beer in the North Stand and say "better put that down fatty, does no good for you cholesterol". Didn't think so.

or 'Put that fag out' :-)
  • 97%...got them all right until the very last one. Bugger.
  • 66%

you can see why I failed English language