Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shocking Killings In Norway

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I know a few Norwegians who have been telling me for years what a fucked up country it is beneath the surface. Death metal bands (mostly far right Hell's Angels types) have burned down over a hundred churches there, and when one of the more famous death metal bands split up, the singer hunted down and killed the rest of the band. Truly shocking. To add insult to injury, the maximum sentence the guy who killed all those people can get is 21 years :(
    LOL - I was wondering how long it would be before this old chestnut got trotted out. Blame it on metal/rap/ragga/garage/whatever.

Besides, its not death metal bands anyway, never was. Before you start blanket-blaming an entire subculture of music, at least get the genre right.
  • Options
    Scandinavia has had a problem like this brewing for years. Highly taxed societies with superb benefits and social services designed for Swedes, Danes, Norwegians and Finns have attracted hundreds of thousands of refugeees and immigrants from the middle east and africa. Many Scandinavians feel that their generosity and hospitality has been and continues to be abused by many immigrants. There is  a strong, fascistic warrior culture amongst many young north europeans. For example, motorbike gangs and clubs with strong links to criminality and right wing political groups are gaining in popularity. I am not totally surprised at this outrage. What is unusual is that the perpetrator survived. Hopefully, his 'motives' and verbal outpourings will not be construed as simply the thoughts and ramblings of a lone, deranged madman but looked on as a possible symptom of something evil and menacing which is bubbling under european society.
    Not quite sure how one loonie tune slaughtering a bunch of ethnic Norwegians fits into your immigration-outrage theory

I have family and friends in Norway,  friends and contacts in Sweden and Denmark. I visit Scandinavia regularly and communicate with my associates weekly. Year on year anti-immigration and racist incidents increase. Most are 'swept under the carpet' to maintain an illusion of social cohesion. Read Spirit of 1947s post.

AND, if you are following the story, you will be aware that the perpetrator has stated that he is anti immigrant and anti muslim. AND, how do you know that most of the victims are ethnic white Norwegians? AND the murdering fanatic that you describe as a  'loonie tune' lone wolf reflects a quite widespread and spreading hatred of non white immigrants .. in my experience. tell me your experiences of the situation

• Options
    I know a few Norwegians who have been telling me for years what a fucked up country it is beneath the surface. Death metal bands (mostly far right Hell's Angels types) have burned down over a hundred churches there, and when one of the more famous death metal bands split up, the singer hunted down and killed the rest of the band. Truly shocking. To add insult to injury, the maximum sentence the guy who killed all those people can get is 21 years :(
    LOL - I was wondering how long it would be before this old chestnut got trotted out. Blame it on metal/rap/ragga/garage/whatever.

Besides, its not death metal bands anyway, never was. Before you start blanket-blaming an entire subculture of music, at least get the genre right.
    Listening to those musical genres certainly does little to help develop a relaxed and peaceful frame of mind .. i would suggest
  • Options

I don't understand this one at all.

Is it a larger scale Dunblane or Hungerford?

More of an Oklahoma - a lot of rumours but the perpetrator seems to have had an issue with the Norwegian government.
  • Options

Listening to those musical genres certainly does little to help develop a relaxed and peaceful frame of mind .. i would suggest
    Well that would be an incorrect suggestion.

RIP to all the victims. An horrific tragedy.
  • Options

Bit of a generalisation...

• Options
    What's going on? Threads about tragedies and deaths are getting hijacked by nutters.
  • Options
    I know. Very frustrating particularly for the mods.
  • Options
    I thought it was just me, getting old and grumpy, but I am glad others have noticed it also
  • Options
    One of the reasons I didn't post before as feared it would go this way.

A guy slaughters 90+ people in cold blood and people take his views on immigration seriously and even worse spout some of the same nonsense.  Mind boggling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011
    This.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Where are the posts 'spouting the same nonsense' on immigration?.  So far as I have read the posts here are all sympathetic to the victims and/or are attempting to rationalise and propose reasons why any human being comes to act in such a murderous fashion.
  • Options
    Words have been had with appropriate parties behind the scenes; please let's respect the intention of this thread, which is to acknowledge the tragedy and the victims.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

Sorry, post deleted. Mods have thankfully intervened

• Options
    The only reason people kill like this is because they are insane and unfortunately history is full of insane murderous bstds like this one, you can't find reason in it they are such a tiny % of people that walk this earth

I just hope they find all those missing hopefully alive if not to atleast allow closure
  • Options
    @hopenothateNick LowlesToday we are all Norwegian: please sign the book of condolenceshttp://t.co/ZOzbygG @hopenothate
  • Options
    Thank you for that MOG. Hope not hatred seems a pretty good creed for all of us.
  • Options
    Utterly senseless - for it to happen in a country like Norway is even more shocking.

MOG, I went to that site and it is political, and I don't think that is appropriate at a time like this.  Others may disagree, but I don't think now is the time to be making political points (as has been stated on this thread) which is what I think that site is doing.  I'm sure people are signing it with the best of intentions however and everyone feels the same about the tragedy and feels for the Norwegian people at this time.

RIP
  • Options
    The more you hear about this the more it makes your blood run cold.  The fact that it all happened in a country with one of the lowest crime/murder rates in the world makes it all the more shocking.  On a positive note, the generally dignified and rational manner in which the people in general and particularly survivors appear to have reacted is quite humbling.
  • Options
    The more you hear about this the more it makes your blood run cold.  The fact that it all happened in a country with one of the lowest crime/murder rates in the world makes it all the more shocking.  On a positive note, the generally dignified and rational manner in which the people in general and particularly survivors appear to have reacted is quite humbling.

This is the sort of incident that could happen anywhere - the perpetrator was a nutter and people like that aren't confined to nations with high murder rates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Utterly senseless - for it to happen in a country like Norway is even more shocking.

MOG, I went to that site and it is political, and I don't think that is appropriate at a time like this.  Others may disagree, but I don't think now is the time to be making political points (as has been stated on this thread) which is what I think that site is doing.  I'm sure people are signing it with the best of intentions however and everyone feels the same about the tragedy and feels for the Norwegian people at this time.

RIP

Agreed: But I tend to read these sites: If a bnp member put up a site saying the same I'm sure people would "sign".
    Each to their own, But, I like to think We All send our sympathy to the Norwegians at this time.
  • Options
    Fair enough, MOG.

Agree with BFR...no country on earth has a monopoly on nutters; it could happen anywhere, anytime and 'there but for the grace of God...' and all that...

I just hope that our gun control laws make it harder for any psychopathic nutjob to do damage than may be the case in other countries....but you only have to look at the difference in murder rates in the US and Canada (which both have few restrictions on gun ownership) to see that may not necessarily be so.

Senseless and unpredictable...that's what makes this kind of thing all the much harder to understand.
  • Options
    It still is too shocking.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited July 2011
    "Only" 76 deaths now, they got the numbers wrong.
  • Options
    As you do!
  • Options
    Well I'm glad that their estimates were higher than the actual number of deaths...
  • Options
    I have to say that I am really impressed of my fellow Oslo-citizens. Most people are not afraid, and many say they feel more secure than ever. We stand together no matter background. As our PM said, 'our answer is more openess, more democracy'. Won't bow, don't know how! Many thanks for all warm thoughts from our best friends, the people of the UK!
  • Options
    As per your previous posting re pubs for the Bournemouth game... come to the Liberal Club before the game and a few addicks will buy you a drink.

Good luck and thoughts are with your country.  Horrible stuff.

• Options
    I have to say that I am really impressed of my fellow Oslo-citizens. Most people are not afraid, and many say they feel more secure than ever. We stand together no matter background. As our PM said, 'our answer is more openess, more democracy'. Won't bow, don't know how! Many thanks for all warm thoughts from our best friends, the people of the UK!
    That is very reassuring and uplifting.

As Curb-it says make your way to the Lib and say hi.
  • Options
    OsloAddick

Have to write this publicly, since we cannot 'whisper' any more on this site. I just wanted to add my best wishes and express my admiration for the way you Norwegians have responded to this tragedy. A family I consider as among my best friends in the world live in Oslo. They were not caught up in it, but they know people who were. Normally I visit them around this time of year, but we couldnt make the dates work this year. But its good to know there's at least one Addick in Oslo. I'm far away from the Valley too and wont make it to Bournemouth, but make sure you take Henry up on his offer and get to the Lib. He's got some funny ideas, especially about a 90's striker called Carl Leaburn, but he's Charlton to the core and has many stories....