Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Roots

I've been thinking for years that I wish they would rerun the TV series Roots, which I watched as a teenager.

Alex Haley's chronicle of his family roots, from life in 18th century tribal Africa to eventual emancipation from brutal slavery in America.

I was just flicking through the guide and see it's on the True Entertainment Channel 189 onVirgin Media at 18.00 tonight.

No idea if it's the first episode or if it's been on for some while.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it was excellent at the time. 

Comments

• Options

It is/was an excellent and thought provoking series. However, Haley later admitted that most of it was fictitious and was not a true chronicle of his ancestors, more a docudrama on the brutality and inhumane slave trade and plantation life.

Enjoy it for the second time around

• Options
    You can get it on dvd. If u want to watch then withou waiting for them to come to tv
  • Options

It is/was an excellent and thought provoking series. However, Haley later admitted that most of it was fictitious and was not a true chronicle of his ancestors, more a docudrama on the brutality and inhumane slave trade and plantation life.

I thought that he'd admitted that parts of it had come from someone else's story (could we be wrong though).
    Thought it was excellent first time out.
  • Options

I thought that he'd admitted that parts of it had come from someone else's story (could we be wrong though).
    Thought it was excellent first time out.
    He was found 'guilty' of plagarism .. see Alex Haley's Wikipedia entry
  • Options
    Read the book last year. Good read once you get going.
  • Options
    Did they not do a movie as well as a tv programme?
  • Options
    For those who own a parrot and a wooden leg..................................................

http://torrentz.eu/93cb6ea4800e8a20bd7a9cf05104c3579957f69c
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's currently being shown in one of its forms on Chanel 188 (True Entertainment) in seven 2-hour segments at 6.00 p.m. The blurb says it's an 'all star' cast including Henry Fonda.

• Options
    I have Roots on a set of DVD's, and I have returned to it every few years. I encouraged my Grandchildren to watch it because as well as being highly entertaining, although obviously fiction it is a piece of history. I have always thought that the content of School lessons would be enhanced by this method of learning rather than just remembering a series of dates, 1066 etc. If you haven't seen it, I recommend you to catch it if you can.
  • Options
    Roots has an early appearance of Levar Burton (Geordie / Jordi in Star Trek Next Generation) He is the fabled Kunta Kinte!
  • Options
    And not forgetting O.J Simpson..........pre murder trial of course. ;-)