Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World's oldest football rulebook auctioned for £881,250

Might explain the standard of refereeing at the Valley last year.

The pamphlet introduces laws of the game that still exist, such as
the indirect free kick, the corner kick and the use of a crossbar.

Another rule states: "Pushing with the hands is allowed but no hacking or tripping is fair under any circumstances whatsoever."

Comments

• What surpised me about this story was the the line 'This pamphlet has been sold by the olderst football club Sheffield FC.'

How can there be one oldest footbal club, surely there must be two of them of were they allowed to just have kick abouts on their own and call that 'official'?

• What surpised me about this story was the the line 'This pamphlet has been sold by the olderst football club Sheffield FC.'

How can there be one oldest footbal club, surely there must be two of them of were they allowed to just have kick abouts on their own and call that 'official'?

It's the oldest footbal "Club".   Schools, universities, regiments etc had teams as did other sporting clubs (mainly Cricket Clubs looking for something to do in the winter).
  • Are Cray Wanderers the 2nd oldest ?
  • Are Cray Wanderers the 2nd oldest ?
    Yes, Football in the South started in Bromley. FACT
  • St Pauls Cray/Sidcup Surely ?
    ;-)
  • St Pauls Cray/Sidcup Surely ?
    ;-)
    It's in Bromley now!
  • For a minute I saw the thread title and thought Henry had hit the jackpot with his auctions!
  • For a minute I saw the thread title and thought Henry had hit the jackpot with his auctions!
    Nothing quite in that range but I do have a 1937 history and a very nice signed shirt to come. : - )