Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Anyone been to the Bernabau?

Just wondered if anyones been there for a tour or a game?

As I'm in Madrid sat & sun I might see if I can get a look around

Comments

• yeah went to see the madrid derby last year, was a fantastic atmosphere, bit of trouble after the game though, but probably to be expected
  • When I was inter-railing I spent a couple of hours trying to find it, but ended up at some crappy tennis club, so no.
  • Was there last year and did the tour. Would recommend it. Easy to find, as the station is called Santiago Bernabau i think. You come out and it's there, across the road. It's on all the maps anyway. Our tour guide was multi-lingual and very knowledgeable, not just because it was her job but because she was an ardent fan. One odd thing is the relation between Real and Getafe, both in la liga but the Chairman of Real is also Chair of Getafe, such that Getafe are now seen as a feeder club. (Something like that and i'm sure it shouldn't be allowed)
  • was there in about 96 - saw Suker & Mijatovic destroy (I think) Valladolid 6-2 - was a great experience, Also saw Atletico-Dortmund in the Champions League & a Liga 2 game at Rayo Vallecano on the same trip - love Madrid!
  • Went last year Champions League Final Inter Bayern Munich.Done the tour as well.Highly recommend.Me and me mates enjoyed travelling  in Madrid on the tourist multilingual buses.Very frequent and take you right there.
  • I went for the SPain England game with all the racism....

Great stadium, city is nice... prefer Barcelona to be honest...

• I'm waiting til the addicks are playing there. ;-)
  • Cheers lads for the info, our hotel is 5 mins away apparently so a must do whilst the Mrs is shopping me thinks!
  • Definitely do it. I was working in Madrid midweek and it just so happened that Real were playing that night against one of the Turkish teams (Yaya Toure played for them) in the Champions League.

Went to the game, saw Beckham play and maybe Woodgate (can't remember too much), 5 goals and a sending off.

Good night had by me.

The place is ridiculously big as well. Very, very impressed.
  • Tour is good and reasonably priced (8 Euros I think). I did it last August (very hot!), saw the museum, boardroom, changing rooms, pitchside, sat in dug outs, got in a lift to get to the very top seats in the stand (not good if you don't like heights). Lastly had a Real Madrid labelled beer in a bar in the stand (much better than the East Stand Fosters!).
  • Sponsored links:

• best ground i've been to in europe - better than san siro, nou camp and the allianz in my experience.

i queued up for about 3-4 hours to get a ticket the day before the match. buy in advance if you can.
  • Went to see Real Vs. Mallorca in '08, sat really high up with a hangover. Reminded me of how scared I was as a kid sitting in the big stand at Stamford Bridge. Sooo high. Hell of a game - 4-3 in the end. Robinho played a blinder, and Mallorca scored a couple of absolute crackers. The crowd noise sucked though. They hand out stuff before the games to make a racket - rattles and so on.

All in all, a really memorable trip that I would recommend.
  • Yes, went a couple of years ago for a match. Great experience. You can get tickets from ServiCaixa machines inside some banks.

Just a peek inside on a tour would be well worth it, I reckon.
  • I have been to Selhurst  - the worst ground in europe
  • Another thumbs up from me, definitely the best ground I have ever been to. Coincidentally I went to the Getafe match there seeing as though they were mentioned earlier. Did the tour the next day which was excellent as well. Not sure why people are talking about getting a match ticket as Crepy says he is there this Sat and Sun. I think the tour shuts late afternoon, about 4ish? But you can probably check on their website
  • Tour is good and reasonably priced (8 Euros I think).

More like 18 euros from memory. I think there's a cheaper unguided tour.
    Would
    also recommend the tour buses. You're saying in the business/ bourgeois
    area.  Central Madrid is small, impressive and relatively down to
    earth! Liked it a lot.

Incidentally, best restaurant we found in value/ quality terms, in Calle Chinchilla, off Gran Via, here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187514-d1858709-Reviews-Restaurante_Puerto_Rico-Madrid.html
  • Tour is good and reasonably priced (8 Euros I think).

More like 18 euros from memory. I think there's a cheaper unguided tour.
    Would
    also recommend the tour buses. You're saying in the business/ bourgeois
    area.  Central Madrid is small, impressive and relatively down to
    earth! Liked it a lot.

Incidentally, best restaurant we found in value/ quality terms, in Calle Chinchilla, off Gran Via, here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187514-d1858709-Reviews-Restaurante_Puerto_Rico-Madrid.html

there are also lots of cheap indian places in lavapies and chueca that are worth a visit
  • Yes - was at the England game when they booed all our black players.

Nice city but a bit of a moody feel around the outside of the ground. In fact it's like that at all England away games !
  • Yeah, saw Real play Valladolid in October 09, result was 4-2. I was with my mates on a Spanish cultural trip (erm...) and we were able to get in, quite expensively, to the upper deck of one of the end stands. View was good, atmosphere pretty exciting despite the nothingness of the fixture. The one thing that surprised me was that about half the fans had left about 10 minutes before the final whistle; then again I suppose there are usually massive crowds and they knew to avoid a rush or something. Cracking stuff though.
  • Just back from Madrid and my mate made a mistake, we were staying in the piramides area of town about a 5 minute walk from athleticos ground so we took a stroll down there and was not very impressed with that, but the tour round the bernebau was excellent for 16euros
    What an impressive place, would really like to see a game there!

And if anyones going there, we found this little restaraunt about five mins away from the Bernabau

Great tapas and reasonably priced too!

By the way, athleticos ground has a busy roadway going right underneath the main stand, was I right that someone on here said theres a ground in this country with a road under it or was it a train station?