Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jackson

edited July 2011 in General Charlton
Am i the only one who doesn't rate him? I dont think he's as good as people claim and if he couldn't take pens then we wouldn't go so "mad" about him (even if we don't already) Just wondering am i the only one here who thinks this?

Comments

• He isn't a catch your eye winger but he is a sensible solid player who gives us balance, offering something both defensively and going forward on the left. It's no coincidence that our best run of last season started when he came into the side on the left of midfield, and our season then collapsed when he got injured.

I believe his natural position is actually central midfield anyway so he's a playing out of position.
  • yes you are mate ;-)
  • probably, puts in a shift, cam move the ball well, can tackle, has great dead ball delivery, is versatile and is left footed
  • I just think its a silly and strange thing to post pre season
  • I just think its a silly and strange thing to post pre season
    This.
  • Jackson would have been POTY if he did not get injured last season, did a decent job filling in at LB and then excelled at LM. Admittedly he does not have the pace or tricks of other wingers we've had/have but offers a good range of passing, good delivery and has a knack of getting in at the backpost to score goals. He also adds balance to the midfield and protects his fullback well whilst also linking well going forward. Would like to see him play CM although get the feeling with all the CMs we now have, he will be used more on the left.

Think the people at CAFC who do not rate Jackson are in the minority.

• edited July 2011
    He's a good all round League 1 player. Makes us more solid than when we had an out and out left winger there like Kyel Reid. Nothing to get "mad" about but does the things that go unnoticed until you put a player there that can't or won't do them.

It looks like we're going to play 4-4-2 so I'd say we need wide players that can help out the CMs and offer something defensively. Jackson is someone that offers that.

It worked well in the Prem when we played 4-4-2 under Curbs. Who were the better players at right midfield? Holland and Stuart or Rommedahl and Ambrose...
  • Am i the only one who doesn't rate him??

Yes.

Proper footballer. Likes Indie music too apparently.

At LB I thought he looked a bit limited, he did a job but that was about it. In left midfield he's a much better player.

• edited July 2011
    Look what happened to our form when he was removed from the equation.

Argument ends.
  • He isn't a catch your eye winger but he is a sensible solid player who gives us balance, offering something both defensively and going forward on the left. It's no coincidence that our best run of last season started when he came into the side on the left of midfield, and our season then collapsed when he got injured.

I believe his natural position is actually central midfield anyway so he's a playing out of position.
    Agree with this , we went to pieces on the left when he got injured , 16 goals , he would have got over 20 if he'd stayed fit.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not sure that any side in League 1 is able to operate with two out and out wingers - the opposition just pack the centre of the park and any control is lost, consequently there is a need for midfielders like Jackson who can operate with some flexibility.
  • I rate him as people have said before our season went to pieces when he got injured. he could have got 20+ goals
  • just scored
  • We were pants when he got injured and was clearly missed by all the other players. Best player for me last term in all the games he played.
  • edited July 2011
    You can't argue with the number of goals he gets from midfield.
  • some people dont rate jackson ,but rated semedo  , for fucks sake some people need to open their eyes when they are watching the game jackson is always a threat he is dangerous when it comes to free kicks and he chips in with a few goals , i honestly believe we play better football when jacksons on the pitch ,last season when he got injured we really struggled , jackson would be 1 of the 1st names on the sheet for me without a doubt.
  • Jackson would have been POTY if he did not get injured last season, did a decent job filling in at LB and then excelled at LM. Admittedly he does not have the pace or tricks of other wingers we've had/have but offers a good range of passing, good delivery and has a knack of getting in at the backpost to score goals. He also adds balance to the midfield and protects his fullback well whilst also linking well going forward. Would like to see him play CM although get the feeling with all the CMs we now have, he will be used more on the left.

Think the people at CAFC who do not rate Jackson are in the minority.

Ain't that the truth.  He was easily our best player in the first half of last season.
  •  

Am i the only one who doesn't rate him? I dont think he's as good as people claim and if he couldn't take pens then we wouldn't go so "mad" about him (even if we don't already) Just wondering am i the only one here who thinks this?

That'll be Jackson who won the game for us tonight ?

Yes I think you're probably the only one !

• Well, i might join him, just purely for the sake of being controversial. ;-)
  • Has scored some great goals... notably the 4th for Tottenham against us in 04.
  • Sponsored links:

• @Scoham Spot on. No coincidence that our best placed finish in the prem happened when we had central midfielders playing on the wings. (Stuart, Kishishev, Holland and sometimes Jensen). Then came players like Romm, Thomas and Ambrose....
  • Top drawer player who I've always thought could easily play champ football, along with Mark Yeates
  • "we wouldn't go so "mad" about him (even if we don't already)".

Tricky to understand the basis of the post! If you look at the match ratings he recieved last season, they were very consistent.

• edited July 2011

I rate him very highly I've followed his career since his Spurs days and have been surprised how he fell down the leagues.He offers us both balance and good protection to his full back which could become increasingly important given the sort of players that Evina and Wiggins seem to be .

Good left footers are rare in football and having a good balance of them has been a Charlton weakness for around ten years until last summer when Jacko signed with Reidy

This season he is my choice to be captain , my only concern is his injury record and I would still like us to go for a more direct left footed winger like Dave Martin at Derby or maybe our ex Academy prospect Myles Weston at Brentford  ( I think it may be too soon to expect Callum Harriott to be relied on and Cedric Evina seems to be a left back  ) to supplement him on the left and allow us to go more direct in games if necessary .

• Let's hope that by the start of the season, JJ has signed a new contract. Will only be better with the extra quality that's been added to the squad.
  • 10 years ago he joined us on loan. What a stupid OP, ban him. 
    Love you Jacko.
    Blimey. If I’d have been picked up for all the stupid things I’ve said over the last 10 years, I would be in real trouble.
  • 10 years ago he joined us on loan. What a stupid OP, ban him. 
    Love you Jacko.
    Blimey. If I’d have been picked up for all the stupid things I’ve said over the last 10 years, I would be in real trouble.
     Can I get a whoosh?
  • Am i the only one who doesn't rate him? I dont think he's as good as people claim and if he couldn't take pens then we wouldn't go so "mad" about him (even if we don't already) Just wondering am i the only one here who thinks this?
    This. Lazy, slow and tries too hard. We’ll never get promoted with him in the side.
  • 10 years gone by .. as Tommy Copper would have said .. 'Jus like that hahahahaha' .. plenty more of them please Jacko, REAL Charlton by adoption ((:>)