Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Long Good Friday.

edited June 2011 in Not Sports Related
The director of The Long Good Friday, John Mackenzie has died aged 83. I know some people think the RIPs are 'overdone' but I'd just like to say thanks to him for making one of the best British thrillers ever. It was financed by one of Lew Grade's companies who got cold feet over the amount of violence and were also nervous about the reaction of thr IRA to it. They cut it about and tried to make it a sanitised TV film. It was eventually sold, at a loss, to George Harrison's Hand Made Films who re-stored and released it. A Bitish classic.

Comments

• The look on Bob Hoskins face at the end - award winning
  • edited June 2011
    It seems there were thoughts of a seqel, the idea was that the motor carting him away would run out of prtrol and he'd escape. I think that probably would have upset the Irish!
  • I think that probably would upset the Irish!

Oh boo hoo!
    I mean they are getting on so well now together arent they?
  • Yanks ? ...................i've s**t 'em !
  • I'm going into business with the Germans .... yeah, the Germans. Don't lose their bottle.
  • edited June 2011
    The look on Bob Hoskins face at the end .....Link     - award winning

• the film is so old that even Pierce Brosnan has a non speaking role and Helen Mirren looks young and sweet
  • Yanks ? ...................i've s**t 'em !
    isnt it 'mafia? .. i shit 'em' ??
  • the film is so old that even Pierce Brosnan has a non speaking role and Helen Mirren looks young and sweet
    Still a great film though.
    Still a great film though.
    oh yes
  • Sponsored links:

• Diabolical liberty!

Brilliant performance for a great British film
  • Is that a gun Harold?
    Don't be silly Billy, I wouldn't come looking for you with my fingers now would I?
  • There's a lot of dignity in that, going out like a raspberry ripple.
  • Agreed. Classic movie.
  • 'I'd like to lick you all over'. 
  • What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean? 

Pool Attendant: They kept it all incognito. They're gonna collect the body in an ice cream van. 
    Harold: There's a lot of dignity in that, isn't there? Going out like a raspberry ripple.

Harold: What the hell was Colin doing with a Lime'ouse minicab driver in Belfast? 
    Jeff: Colin can't drive. 
    Harold: Oh, that makes sense. Second question: Belfast? What was he doing there? I know Colin fancies soldiers, but that's taking his buggery a bit far, isn't it?  

Harold: Alan found him dying. He'd been nailed to the floor. 
    Jeff: When was this, then? 
    Harold: Well, it must've been just after you saw him and just before Alan saw him. Otherwise, you'd have noticed, wouldn't you? I mean, a geezer nailed to the floor. A man of your education would definitely have spotted that, wouldn't he? 

Harold: I want the name of your top grass. 
    Parky: He trusts me Harold, I've known him a long time. 
    Harold: Then you should remember his name. 

and many many more.......
    Love the film, one of the few that gives Get Carter a run for it's money in that genre....
  • Bit of local trivia relating to this film - the murder at the swimming pool scene featuring Pierce Brosnan was filmed at Ladywell Leisure Centre on Lewisham High Street.

As Ken says, definitely up there with Get Carter.

• The pub you see Harold going into to see Billy was the Governor General, Whitefoot Lane. Now a petrol station.

It's worth buying the special edition DVD with all the extras on.

• Bit of local trivia relating to this film - the murder at the swimming pool scene featuring Pierce Brosnan was filmed at Ladywell Leisure Centre on Lewisham High Street.

Never knew that about Ladywell. The church where the car blows up looks like St George In The East just over the road from News International.
  • Rubbish story - as if anyone would want to redevelop the wastelands of the London Docklands and turn it into a business community with homes overlooking the water.....

• Sponsored links:

• You never know. I reckon that if Harold had survived he'd have thoughht  of having the Olympics there or something. Daft but .........

• Barrie Keefe who wrote the screenplay used to live in Greenwich.
  • did anyone on here have the book, charltons long good friday abou the 87 season. I think I still have it somewhere
  • did anyone on here have the book, charltons long good friday abou the 87 season. I think I still have it somewhere
    Written by Nolly's dad.   I think I might be have a copy to sell soon.
  • a grat accompanyment

Never knew that about Ladywell. The church where the car blows up looks like St George In The East just over the road from News International.
    If you had ever worked for News International....... you would understand why it should have been blown up!....... 

Really? I had never spotted that before, I will have to track that down now and re-watch it.

• Barrie Keefe who wrote the screenplay used to live in Greenwich.

Was just gonna write that, he's a brilliant writer.

My fave film, Harold is alledgely based on
    Freddie Foreman.
  • Patrick Moriaty - who played "Razors" is a South London resident - but a Millwall fan.

Before he took up acting he was a docker and a porter at Smithfields, he's also blind in one eye, apparently he got in a fight there one day and his opponent slung a meat hook through one of his eyes.

• You sure that's ladywell swimming baths looks more like new cross baths