Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flights to OZ (Melbourne)

Planning on going in Feb next year, for the brother in law's wedding. Have been looking on line for flights, for the 3 of us, daughter will be 12 and so counts as an adult. Prices seem to be around the £1000 - £1200. Will this price drop? Who is the best to fly with?

Comments

• Options
    Break the journey for a couple of days.
    In order of (my) preference
    Bangkok
    Kuala Lumpur
    Singapore

Prices fluctuate wildly, but with fuel increases a grand may be right.
    £850 should be achievable.

Dial a flight seem to have good rates at the mo. Never used em myself though
  • Options
    Have always flown with Emirates and can't fault them. Have never broken the journey, each to their own.
  • Options
    Cost me 940 quid last year with Singapore Airlines. Air hostesses were stunning, very friendly and I got an upgrade on the first leg on the way back :)

Splash & Dash at Hong Kong on the way there and back. Flight Centre were pretty good.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Have always flown with Emirates and can't fault them. Have never broken the journey, each to their own.
    Fair enough, done that too and can see the attraction.
    somehow I just feel its a waste flying over these fantastic cities and not popping in. To me it feels like two holidays in one.
    Singapore Airlines, Thai, Malaysian all superb.
    Not tried Emirates though an ex of mine works for them and she says they are really good on key routes like Oz. Think I did Brunei once which was out of this world, but that may have been just to HK
    I will NEVER fly BA/Virgin on that route again.
  • Options
    Cost me 940 quid last year with Singapore Airlines. Air hostesses were stunning, very friendly and I got an upgrade on the first leg on the way back :)

Splash & Dash at Hong Kong on the way there and back. Flight Centre were pretty good.
    "Splash and Dash"? Blimey Leroy, now that's what I call an upgrade!!!
  • Options
    Royal Brunei prices seem very good, don't want to touch China airway and the like.
  • Options

Royal Brunei is a 'dry' flight - no alcohol on board.

• Options
    i flew to oz with JAL (japaneese airlines) the service was amazing good extras in economy nice fold out TV's air hosteses were lovely and bowed everytime i asked for another jd and coke, dozed off whilst flying over russia woke up had a blanket placed over me and pillow under my head, top draw, food you had the choice of western or japaneses went for the japensese lovely food as good as any takeaway. had an over night in tokyo didnt venture out of the airport, deffo check them out.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Definitely give dial a flight a shot, always good value

Think they've stopped booze on Royal Brunei....and see someone beat me to it

• Options

Royal Brunei is a 'dry' flight - no alcohol on board.

Indeed, I did Dusseldorf to Bangkok once, never in my life have I have needed a cold beer as much as I did when we finally got there. I was sat next to an Aussie and one point we were discussing setting an illegal still in one of the toilets.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Definitely give dial a flight a shot, always good value

Think they've stopped booze on Royal Brunei....and see someone beat me to it

Blimey - iIm getting old - I remember a cut glass Gin and tonic in my hand BEFORE take off when I went with them.

I did JAL last year and whilst the food was ace - went with the Korean option - superb - the booze was slow to emerge.
    Lovely ladies, who enjoy roller blading on their day off, it transpires.
  • Options
    We flew to Melbourne from Heathrow amidst the snow carnage last December. Went with Cathay Pacific and they were great at keeping us up to date and getting us out on time. Can't fault them. Think we paid about £1100 each and that was pre-Christmas/Ashes time.

The hostesses didn't seem too keen on my drinking pace, however. Think it got to the point where they were hiding from me.

In-flight entertainment was faultless too.
  • Options
    Royal Brunei is much improved since they upgraded their fleet to 777's. You can drink on board but you have to take on board your own supply. The problem is you can't get it past security in the airport and it is impossible trying to buy cans in the duty free before boarding at Heathrow, I tried it in Jan. When I was living in Brunei I always used to consume my own on board. They are one of the cheapest mainly due to tax.
    Another option would be Air Asia out of Stansted via KL. I've heard the service is very good for the money.
  • Options
    Id wait if you can hold out, went with quantas 2 years ago and paid £600 return. They do deals most of the year
  • Options
    I went with Emirates who were very good.
  • Options
    I went with Emirates who were very good.
    If you want a sore bum. Seats are not padded enough, but otherwise very good.
    Can't beat Singapore A380 !
  • Options
    Singapore Airlines are probably the best, but I tend to use Emirates. Air Asia are very good value and fly via Kuala Lumpur. There are some very good offers, particularly if you book early, with Air Asia. Air New Zealand are not the best but do some very good offers from time to time undercutting all the main arilines. You can sometimes save money on these long hauls by flying midweek to midweek rather than Saturday to Saturday.
  • Options
    I've flown with them all over the years. Try Air Asia or Brunei (no booze on Brunei). It was the big named airlines e.g. BA, Singapore, Qantas that were the worst, with Singapore being the worst by far for service.
  • Options
    BA sale just startyed fror flights booked jan-march 2012, if you're going then i'd advise looking around now as all the sale seats will go in a week or so
  • Options
    Booked with Cathy (£943 each), going on 7th Feb, just found out I'll be missing the Chesterfield away game (new ground). Don't think I'll getaway with changing the dates.