Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Detling - Kent County Show 15th, 16th & 17th July

Is anyone going, or at least been before? Its just that its probably gonna be my first visit and wondered if its worth the money for 2 adults 2 children (£49 on the day).

Any feedback would be gratefully recieved.

COYR

Comments

• £17.50 per adult and kids free if tickets are bought prior to event. Good day out.

• Yeah, I'll be going. Not been for about 10yrs though so probably changed a hell of a lot since then.

• Good day out - especially for kids (fire engines, petting zoo,). 
  • Have never really "got" these county shows and looking at the website it doesn't seem to be that exciting for the kids. I guess I'm just a city boy at heart.
  • Have been several times and it is a very good day out if a bit expensive. 

A word of warning about the traffic though, especially when leaving the show at the end of the day.  The main show ground entrance/exit is off the main A249 which is a very busy road.  If you exit onto the A249 you are usually directed northwards in the direction of the M2, even if you want to go onto the M20 or towards Maidstone. The A249 has crossovers and U turns which are usually all closed for the duration of the show, so all traffic has to negotiate the Stockbury roundabout which is the junction with the M2.  It is traffic light controlled and is a nightmare whilst the County Show is on.

My employer has a stand at the Show and I live only a mile away from the show ground if I were to walk across the A249 and across fields.  I was working on our stand 2 years ago and it took me one and a half hours to get out of the show ground and to my house.  I have a dodgy knee which prevents me from walking there so I had to go by car. 
  • Complete rip off unless it has changed dramatically in recent years.

Last went about 5 years ago. Paid the £50 for family entry only find myself in a glorified car boot sale with lots of stalls selling everything from burgers, to cars, hot tubs and double glazing.

Some quirky Kentish rural stuff around the periphery (ferret racing etc) but on the whole, expensive and nothing to do with Kent, the country or a show.

Save your money and if you are heading to deepest Kent try the Whitstable Oyster Festival or Faversham Hop Festival. Free community events and much more fun.

• Complete rip off unless it has changed dramatically in recent years.

Last went about 5 years ago. Paid the £50 for family entry only find myself in a glorified car boot sale with lots of stalls selling everything from burgers, to cars, hot tubs and double glazing.

Some quirky Kentish rural stuff around the periphery (ferret racing etc) but on the whole, expensive and nothing to do with Kent, the country or a show.

Save your money and if you are heading to deepest Kent try the Whitstable Oyster Festival or Faversham Hop Festival. Free community events and much more fun.

jeez, you certainly know how to live up to your name..........;-)
  • Thanks. I will take that as flattery.

• never been to this show, but have exhibited at the wedding exhibitions before. If you're heading down there, I suggest going down the a20/m20 as you turn left onto the road the show is on and then come back on the a2/m2 (the road joins the 2) because like someone further up said, you can't do u turns on the road, and its a nightmare and long route round if you go down the a2/m2 and want to get back on the a20/m20. 

• edited June 2011
    We used to enjoy it a lot but stopped going for all the reasons that Grumpy gave. If it was cheaper to get in, we might still go as we enjoy the rural crafts and the old country ways side of things can be good. Exhibits such as bee keeping are always interesting. Best in good weather though so you can arrive early with chairs and picnic paraphernalia, wine etc, take a long time over a picnic lunch,and leave late once the traffic has gone.