Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

These idiots should know better

Probe launched after dogs die in car outside Met Police centre in Keston

A probe has been launched into how two police dogs died after being left in a car during Sunday's soaring temperatures.

The dogs, a Belgian malanois and a German shepherd puppy, had to be
pulled out of the private vehicle by staff after they collapsed. They
were both rushed to a vet, but later died.

The vehicle was parked outside the Met Police's training centre in Keston, near Orpington.

All doors and windows were shut of the car as temperatures nudged 30C.

Meanwhile, a Met Police officer - believed to be the dogs' handler -
was found by colleagues following the incident in Newham, London,
suffering from hand injuries. It is unclear how the injuries were
received, or if they were self-inflicted. He is currently receiving
medical treatment.

Met Police have refused to name the officer.

A spokesman at Scotland Yard said: "On Sunday June 26 at approx 11am
staff at a Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) building were alerted to
two police dogs having been left in an unventilated private vehicle.

"Entry was forced to the vehicle and two MPS dogs, a working Belgian
Malinois and a German Shepherd pup, were found in a state of collapse.
Both were taken to an emergency vets where they subsequently died.

"An investigation by the Directorate of Professional Standards into the circumstances of this incident has begun."

The RSPCA has once again warned of the dangers of leaving dogs in cars during hot weather.

A spokesman said: "Leaving a window open makes little difference. It
can take just 20 minutes for a dog to die and temperatures in some
vehicles as temperatures can reach over 40C."

Comments

• edited June 2011
    It seems according to The mail that it was Sgt Ian Craven - an experienced dog trainer!  The paper says he's done it before with a spaniel.  But then he got promoted.
    If you or I had done that we'd have been arrested immediately.  But the filth just start an internal inquiry.  He's got 30 years service in so I suspect he'll just be allowed to retire.
  • apparently threw himself out a car at 30mph and slit his wrists.

how can you be a dog handler and forget you have dogs in the car?!!
  • Nothing surprises me anymore about the stupidity of people.
  • Surely a more apt way to go would be to stick some crack down his trousers and let the police dogs maul him to death?
  • edited June 2011

Whatever the reasons or excuses and indeed utter stupidity by the copper, he has got to live with this for the remainder of his life.

Yes he should be punished, but I am sure the guilt will surpass any punishment metered out by the authorities.

• Well it is all a bit sad - you have to fel sorry for the officer too - it was neglectful but not malicious. He is clearly sufferin already.
  • Don't always believe what you read in the paper.

Tragic news.
  • Whatever the reasons or excuses and indeed utter stupidity by the copper, he has got to live with this for the remainder of his life.

Yes he should be punished, but I am sure the guilt will surpass any punishment metered out by the authorities.

He doesn't appear to have had any problems living with it since the last time he did this. What a total cock!

Bit over the top isn't it, blimey I am a dog lover but I dont think I could comtemplate suicide if this happened to me.
  • Well it is all a bit sad - you have to fel sorry for the officer too - it was neglectful but not malicious. He is clearly sufferin already.
  • Sponsored links:

Bit over the top isn't it, blimey I am a dog lover but I dont think I could comtemplate suicide if this happened to me.
    i agree but then we wouldnt lose our jobs and get publicly shamed if a dog died under our care.

So, he can't do his job properly and he can't even manage to top himself.  Hopefully as well as the criminal prosecution for animal cruelty he'll get done for dangerous driving as well.
  • he wasnt driving
  •  

he wasnt driving
    He's not Brian Harvey!
  • he wasnt driving
    Thats why he didnt die when he threw himself from the car. jumping out of a stationary vehicle aint gonna get it done, is it......;-)
  • This kind of stuff disgusts me like you would not believe!!!!  As a trainee veterinary nurse and a person who would do anything to help animals and is seen as a nice guy, i would have no problem whatsoever in torturing people who do shit like that.  Bit harsh maybe but some people deserve it
  • A dogs tempreture only has to rise 4 degrees for it to be in distress, those dogs would have boiled alive.  

As for the OB, if you or I did it we'd be rightly in alI sorts of trouble.

Also the RSPCA are noticable by their absence, once again if you or I did this they'd be standing in front of some cameras somewhere giving an

interview, but heaven forbid them criticising the law.

• Imbecile.

After his last promotion for letting a dog die, let's hope he is relieved of his current duties very quckly because he clearly isn't fit to handle dogs.

• Well firstly - how awful for the two animals.

Secondly who says he won't face prosecution? I can't think there can be any extenuating circumstances which would preclude prosecution. It always makes me smile that when a Copper screws up, those with axes to grind trot out the "one rule for them and another rule for us" stuff.

If he has done it before then he deserves whatever the law can throw at him. Most police dog handlers I have met, love their animals and it doesn't surprise me that he has tried to top himself.
  • he wasnt driving
    Thats why he didnt die when he threw himself from the car. jumping out of a stationary vehicle aint gonna get it done, is it......;-)
    It is if you park on the edge of a cliff.
  • Sponsored links:

• he wasnt driving
    It doesn't necessarily matter - see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lincolnshire/8494422.stm for an example.
  • "Axes to grind" Bing?

No axe to grind with the OB, except they should know better.

I am due to take my dog to Keston in September, a lot of Shepherd owners doing obedience work aspire to have a dog as well trained as

Police dogs. Handlers spend all their working hours with their dogs learning about the welfare as well all the training they do.

What this guy did was put these dogs to a horrendous death and at least he should never work with animals again.

• "Axes to grind" Bing?

No axe to grind with the OB, except they should know better.

I am due to take my dog to Keston in September, a lot of Shepherd owners doing obedience work aspire to have a dog as well trained as

Police dogs. Handlers spend all their working hours with their dogs learning about the welfare as well all the training they do.

What this guy did was put these dogs to a horrendous death and at least he should never work with animals again.

Fair enough. I agree with the last point.
  • ''The RSPCA, which had prosecuted the case, welcomed the verdict and said
    that those responsible for animals must be held to account for their
    actions, no matter what their profession.''

Makes a mockery of those (even on CL ) who criticise the RSPCA
  • edited June 2011
    ''The RSPCA, which had prosecuted the case, welcomed the verdict and said that those responsible for animals must be held to account for their actions, no matter what their profession.''

Makes a mockery of those (even on CL ) who criticise the RSPCA
    You got me there, they are doing a great job!
    http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/gsd-shot-by-rspca.html
  • saw bailey training you today TCE.
  • edited June 2011
    Well TCE your link doesnt work, but you have to admit that when you say they dont confront the Police, this evidence does suggest you are wrong. Very wrong.
    you said
    but heaven forbid them criticising the law.
    So wrong. They took them to court. Which in my book is just a tad of criticism, wouldnt you say?
  • saw bailey training you today TCE.

Fame at last : )

How I am I doing?
    Hopefully I'm not letting him down, there are one or two things he would like me to work on............................................ ; )