Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis: Serious Questions:

1). Where did the scoring system "15, 30, 40...." start and why ?
2). Can Women wear shorts & Men wear skirts ?
3). Is Wimbledon the only GrassCourt "Grandslam" ?

Comments

• 1. The french
    2. There's a fairly strict dress code at wimbledon, not sure what the dress code is at other events
    3. Yes, of the 4 there are 2 clay court, 1 hard court and 1 grass
  • 1. who cares

2. who really cares

3. who really really cares.

How boring is Tennis --- and how boring is murray

• Australian was once grass
  • Tennis is a bird's sport.
  • edited June 2011

Australia was once grass
    All of it?
  • clearly a lot of people care given the following. Don't mind wimbledon, don't watch any others

agree on murray

• 1). Where did the scoring system "15, 30, 40...." start and why ?
    something to do with quarters on a clock, 15, 30, 45, game.  Why 45 became 40 I don't know
  • 1. Game scoring origins - from wikipedia:

The origins of the 15, 30, and 40 scores are believed to be medieval French.  It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of 15, 30, and 45. When the hand moved to 60, the game was over. However, in order to ensure that the game could not be won by a one-point difference in players' scores, the idea of "deuce" was introduced. To make the score stay within the "60" ticks on the clock face, the 45 was changed to 40. Therefore, if both players have 40, the first player to score receives ten and that moves the clock to 50. If the player scores a second time before the opponent is able to score, they are awarded another ten and the clock moves to 60. The 60 signifies the end of the game. However, if a player fails to score twice in a row, then the clock would move back to 40 to establish another "deuce".

Another theory is that the scoring nomenclature came from the French game jeu de paume (a precursor to tennis which used the hand instead of a racquet). Jeu de paume was very popular before the French revolution, with more than 1,000 courts in Paris alone. The traditional court was 90 ft in total with 45 ft on each side. When the server scored, he moved forward 15 ft. If he scored again, he would move another 15 ft. If he scored a third time, he could only move 10 ft closer.[citation needed]

The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed. It is possible that it derives from the French expression for "the egg" (l'œuf) because an egg looks like the number zero.[4][5] "Love" is also said to derive from l'heure "the hour" in French[citation needed]. A third possibility comes from the Dutch expression iets voor lof doen, which means to do something for praise, implying no monetary stakes.[

2. No idea

3. Yes, the Australian Open was played on grass until relatively recently.

• 1. who cares

2. who really cares

Thanks for your answers jdsd42, really helpful.
  • 1. who cares

2. who really cares

Thank goodness you wrote in to a tennis thread that MOG wanted some serious answers from and gave us your full insight.
    Who cares that you dont care?
  • Sponsored links:

• I like the strawberries

• Tracey Austin: the most irritating commentry voice ever?
  •  

1. The french
    2. There's a fairly strict dress code at wimbledon, not sure what the dress code is at other events
    3. Yes, of the 4 there are 2 clay court, 1 hard court and 1 grass

There is only one on clay and that is French.

The other Ozzie and US are hard courts.

• I like the strawberries

and I am sure they like you too
  • nah dont last that long

I like the strawberries

and I am sure they like you too

• Think I remember the US Open being on grass at Forest Hills years ago.
    Could be wrong though
  • Yeah, its a different game when you're stoned, Six.
    You would remember it more clearly if you stayed off the grass
  • LOL.
    I thought I was at Woodstock, Floyd
  • aaah now you're talking.
    That was most definately on grass.
    I love the Cotswolds
  • US Open was originally a grass court tournament until 1974. It was the clay until 1978 when it changed to hard court.

The Australian Open was last played on grass in 1987.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tennis is a bird's sport.
    Would be interesting to compare the fitness of a pro-footballer (90 minutes trotting around on grass, helped by 10 team-mates) with a singles tennis player after a 4 or 5 set match, on court 3 hours-plus  :-)
  • adamtheaddick's post sums up why I watch tennis.