Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

THEATRE THREAD

Comments

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    se9addick said:
    Going to see Stranger Things for a second time
    on Friday, can’t wait!
    Considering going a second time soon, loved the first viewing 
    We sat up in the nosebleeds first time, got tickets in the stalls this time. 
  • Options
    A Mirror at the Trafalgar Theatre. 

Not bad but maybe not as good as the reviews. 

2 hours long so
    no interval which I guess is an awkward length for many shows. 

I do like this theatre. I feel
    most seats appear to offer good views so better value than some locations. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    se9addick said:
    Going to see Stranger Things for a second time
    on Friday, can’t wait!
    Considering going a second time soon, loved the first viewing 
    Something we need to book soon ....
  • Options
    Saw the Stranger Things show on Friday. Special effects and sound production was very good. 
  • Options
    We're going to see Standing at the Sky's Edge tomorrow (20th) and have a spare ticket, PM me if interested
  • Options
    Saw David Baddiel at The Royal Court this evening. He is rebooting a few of his early shows and they are being filmed for Sky Arts.

He did Fame - not the musical, today. I know he is not everyone's cup of tea, but this is the 3rd time I have seen him live and his shows are always excellent. Very funny but also thought provoking.
  • Options
    Haven't been since Dear England last year at the National, but have got a ticket for May 24th at the Donmar Warehouse for the Cherry Orchard which is my favourite play not counting Shakespeare or Beckett.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Got a run it shows coming up:
    - A Mirror - Johnny Lee Miller
    - MJ The Musical - rated highly by my mate who saw it on Broadway
    - The Constituent - Anna Maxwell-Martin & James Corden
    - Strangers Carry a Cake Across New York - Sam Tutty from Evan Hansen
    - Stranger Things

Should be fun
  • Options
    Gosh. What a combination Anna Maxwell Martin (imho good) and James Corden (imho decidedly meh).
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Haven't been since Dear England last year at the National, but have got a ticket for May 24th at the Donmar Warehouse for the Cherry Orchard which is my favourite play not counting Shakespeare or Beckett.

We’ve also got tickets for ‘The Cherry Orchard’ but on 30 May. I really like the Donmar - an intimate venue and you’re never far from the action.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw Plaza Suite with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick last week.  Acting a bit ropey at times but also had me in tears of laughter too!  Theatre was crammed with Sex in the City fans (wife included…). Must have been 85-90% women in the audience consuming gallons of Prosecco!!
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:
    Got a run it shows coming up:
    - A Mirror - Johnny Lee Miller
    - MJ The Musical - rated highly by my mate who saw it on Broadway
    - The Constituent - Anna Maxwell-Martin & James Corden
    - Strangers Carry a Cake Across New York - Sam Tutty from Evan Hansen
    - Stranger Things

Should be fun
    Sounds good. I too have a bit of a run booked:

Long Days Journey into Night - Brian Cox

The Constituent

Jonathan Pie - Herors and Villains (think In the Thick of It type comedy)

Dr Strangelove - Steve Coogan albeit not until October

• Options
    CatAddick said:
    Saw Plaza Suite with Sarah Jessica Parker and Matthew Broderick last week.  Acting a bit ropey at times but also had me in tears of laughter too!  Theatre was crammed with Sex in the City fans (wife included…). Must have been 85-90% women in the audience consuming gallons of Prosecco!!
    Saw that last night , shit gradient in the seats as usual in a London theatre and I always get a tall fella in front so I couldn’t see the middle half of the stage , was 40 mins in till I realised it was two rooms on stage not one big one !
    yep very funny in parts , although we had a 30 second delay cos an alarm was going off on someone's phone and SJP said we’ll wait till it stops 🤦‍♂️
    2hrs 45 mins including interval and short wait between scenes far too long for an old Cnut like me so I did drift off, as I do with everything now 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Gosh. What a combination Anna Maxwell Martin (imho good) and James Corden (imho decidedly meh).
    I’m with you on both of them. I think she’s great (check out the comedy series ‘Motherland’ if you haven’t seen it yet) and Corden’s been exposed as a bit of an arse but I do think he is good at some things so it will be interesting to see how the play performs with them together.
  • Options
    CatAddick said:
    Saw that last night , shit gradient in the seats as usual in a London theatre and I always get a tall fella in front so I couldn’t see the middle half of the stage , was 40 mins in till I realised it was two rooms on stage not one big one !
    yep very funny in parts , although we had a 30 second delay cos an alarm was going off on someone's phone and SJP said we’ll wait till it stops 🤦‍♂️
    2hrs 45 mins including interval and short wait between scenes far too long for an old Cnut like me so I did drift off, as I do with everything now 
    Blimey St James Place get bashed on this forum for everything don’t they 😉😆
  • Options
    Went straight from the Valley to the Theatre Royal Haymarket to see Dorian Gray this evening. Think it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen (the show, not the Charlton match!). 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Went straight from the Valley to the Theatre Royal Haymarket to see Dorian Gray this evening. Think it’s the best thing I’ve ever seen (the show, not the Charlton match!). 
    Is it the one with Sarah Snook?
  • Options
    Jessie said:
    se9addick said:
    Yep, she’s incredible. 
  • Options
    Got a few coming up myself now, starting with Harry Clarke at the weekend
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Jessie said:
    se9addick said:
    Yep, she’s incredible. 
    I totally loved her in Succession! I think she's an extremely talented actress.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My wife got some £25 tickets in the ballot for 'Operation Mincemeat' last week. A fun musical and the Fortune Theatre by Covent Garden is a small, cute venue, although the legroom reminded a bit of Loftus Road.
  • Options
    Saw Hamilton tonight. 

Good and enjoyable but not as good as my expectations given how successful it’s been / relative rave reviews etc. 

It really is a full on musical with hardly any (none?) dialogue that isn’t sung. 
  • Options
    Saw Hamilton tonight. 

Good and enjoyable but not as good as my expectations given how successful it’s been / relative rave reviews etc. 

It really is a full on musical with hardly any (none?) dialogue that isn’t sung. 
    Family booked to see it for the 2nd time. 

Definitely not my cuppa tea.

But REALLY looking forward to Stranger Things in July.
  • Options
    Saw Hamilton tonight. 

Family booked to see it for the 2nd time. 

Definitely not my cuppa tea.

But REALLY looking forward to Stranger Things in July.
    Going to see it a 2nd time end of June - I’m sure you’ll enjoy it
  • Options
    Long Days Journey into Night with Brian Cox (of Succession fame). 

Christ it’s a depressing play / story. 

Really downbeat subject and few moments to lift the mood. 

Brian Cix very decent but I would not recommend. 
  • Options
    We saw Nachtland last week. Opening night the week before and seeing Standing on the Edge and two carry cake across Ny in the next week 
  • Options
    Harry Clarke yesterday (instead of being at The Valley), first time in the Ambassadors Theatre which is very of its day but Crudup is great
  • Options
    Been recommended Police Cops and off to see it on Thursday at Southwark Playhouse.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    Been recommended Police Cops and off to see it on Thursday at Southwark Playhouse.
    Saw this on the last run at Southwark. If you like slapstick and utter nonsense comedy you will be in for a treat. Pretty scathing in it's piss taking of all things American as well.
  • Options
    Saw Player Kings last night instead of Wigan.

Absolutely loved Ian McKellen's Falstaff. I'm a massive fan boy and he can do no wrong. It was hilarious and he lit up the stage every time he's on which in Henry 1v is pretty much 80% of the play. A few others put a great shift in especially the kid playing Hal and Mistress Quickly. The production was good in general but at times a bit confusing with the period it was set in, costume behaviour and scenery wise (The Boars Head being a club with drugs and techno music then the war being the 2nd world war in feel as it were) - My only gripe really was having to try and sit in a very uncomfortable seat for nearly 4 hours. My wife was so uncomfortable that she got us moved to a box for part 2 which was a touch.