Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

*~{Munich BEER Festival}~*

Lifers,

Planning a trip to Munich in September to enjoy the beer festival.

Wanted to hear stories,top tips(where to stay,where else to visit etc) I've heard lots of good things about it, wanted to make sure i get the most out of the trip,

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I've been once.  I would tell you anything if i could remember it...

What a weekend. 
  • Best city on Earth and where I will live when I win the lottery.

Main advice I can give people re Munich: Don't go during Oktoberfest.

Probably the most useless advice for you to hear! Sorry.
  • Had a brilliant weekend at Oktoberfest a few years ago. I actually stayed in Linz in Austria which was perfect. Cheap as you like and only a short train journey away each day! Enjoy!
  • Went there about seven years, never been the same since, messy as u like,
  • Some interesting comments lifers thanks!!

Any bars/clubs u guys can recommend?
  • You wont need any, or be able to make it to them, although there are a few down the side streets of Munich, just a small piece of advice watch your wallets with regards to the Italians, split your money into different pockets, and take a card with the Hotels name and address on to help you get home of a night
  • stick to the beer halls and eat sausages, you won't go wrong.
  • And watch your fannies with regard to the Italians (if any women in your group).  We got right molested on the way to the loo.  We had to go in groups and kick and punch our way through.  Sorry to any Italians I've offended but this group of young lads were unreal.  Managed to get them thrown out.

I was refused entry to the one club we tried to get into late on the sunday night.  Not sure why.

• And watch your fannies with regard to the Italians.

Up with one of the best lines I've read on here.:-)
  • Went in 09. Amazing, go on the rides after a few beers , great fun.
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow...

A real mix bag of experiences.. The beer is so good. I'm booking flights tomorrow!!
  • was there two weeks ago for a stag weekend.  Be sure to check out the English Gardens; amazing chinese bagoda, with a band playing trad German music, set in the middle of a huge beer garden.
  • was there two weeks ago for a stag weekend.  Be sure to check out the English Gardens; amazing chinese bagoda, with a band playing trad German music, set in the middle of a huge beer garden.

I've played cricket there!

The best time to go to the beer fest is to get there early, in theory you need to be seated to get served, but in practice that doesn't matter. You'll also see that there are many tables reserved, so the best advice if you are in a small group to find a party that has reserved a table and see if they have any spare spaces. Generally you can only reserve tables if you are in a reasonably large group - the exact size depends on the particular tent and availability.

And remember it kicks off in mid-September and ends in early October.

• Went to Munich last year, was absolutely brilliant (this wasn't for the festival though). Apparently it's best to go during the week if you can as it gets really really busy and manic at the weekend (only heard this secondhand though).

Hoffbrauhaus is a must visit, had a great time in there and the Augustine haus as well.

• Went to Munich last year, was absolutely brilliant (this wasn't for the festival though). Apparently it's best to go during the week if you can as it gets really really busy and manic at the weekend (only heard this secondhand though).

Hoffbrauhaus is a must visit, had a great time in there and the Augustine haus as well.

Saw live oom pah pah music in the Augustine Haus. Frauleins serving steins and sausages. Magic.
  • Was there for Brazil v Australia in the World Cup. What a party!
  • Be warned, the Hofbrauhaus is really touristy.

• Was there for Brazil v Australia in the World Cup. What a party!
    same here. fantastic experience. the fan park near the olympic stadium was great too. loved the allianz.

Saw live oom pah pah music in the Augustine Haus. Frauleins serving steins and sausages. Magic.
    Rick Stein and Suzi Sausage?
  • I was there, but didn't see Rick. :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely brilliant!
    Went there two years ago and going back next year
    Oom pah pah bands playing rock tunes and people dancing on the tables, funniest weekend ever!
    Then watching the pissheads going on all the rides in the giant funfair afterwards was hysterical!
    Loads of beer
    Loads of food
    Loads of fun
    I loved Munich
  • Sounds amazing... Any ideas where to stay? Best to be near the centre of town or out the way a bit???

Thanks everyone for getting involved.. I'm waiting for Henry to chip in ;)
  • Best to stay in the centre. Hotel Platzl in particular. Use the famous Glockenspiel (11am) as your alarm clock.
  • Hotel prices double during Oktoberfest so if you can find anything in the centre it'll be ridiculously expensive.

Try some of the lesser known beer halls (though the Hofbrauhaus has to be done as well) if you spend some time away from the Oktoberfest grounds.

Went to Oktoberfest in 1980 on an Australian bus tour. Stayed in a tent. Memorable trip. Been to Munch a few times since but would like to return for Oktoberfest one day.
  • I would advise against going on he rollercoasters after 8 steins, 5 pretzels, a salty chicken and 4 sausages.
  • We stayed about 15mins out of town but with the public transport system there you can get around all day on the buses, tubes and trains for acouple of euros
  • We stayed about 15mins out of town but with the public transport system there you can get around all day on the buses, tubes and trains for acouple of euros

Agreed, I stayed just outside the main town and no problem with public transport.

It's a great place!

• Where's the best place to stay fairly near the centre of town... But not to far... I want to visit the big club complex aswell!!
  • Where's the best place to stay fairly near the centre of town... But not to far... I want to visit the big club complex aswell!!

Anyone?
  • Best to stay in/near the centre of town, although hotel prices do shoot up around Oktoberfest.

There's a good underground/metro system, meaning it's ok to stay but suburban Munich is a tad dull.