Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England U21

decent 1-1 with Spain, Welbeck 88th min equaliser.

Very impressed with Smalling and Kyle Walker should be in the senior set-up.

Comments

• Mancienne shouldn't start for me. Decent performance, will need to improve if we want to win the whole thing.
  • Walker looked good, was our main threat going forward.

Enjoyed the game.

Scott Sinclair came on as well-come a long way since being a "Charltonised loan".

• Can't believe no one spotted the handball for the Spanish goal I was screaming at the tv, thought Spain were very goonershite like nice to watch very little end product, we got lucky with the goal looked offside to me, we need to play at a higher tempo but we did well enough not to lose . Fair result imo,

Agree with manciene I thought he was awful throughout, and stirring seemed one lazy so and so I thought he looked ordinary tonight yet every other time I have seen him he seemed top draw
  • Can't believe no one spotted the handball for the Spanish goal I was screaming at the tv, thought Spain were very goonershite like nice to watch very little end product, we got lucky with the goal looked offside to me, we need to play at a higher tempo but we did well enough not to lose . Fair result imo,

Agree with manciene I thought he was awful throughout, and sturridge seemed one lazy so and so I thought he looked ordinary tonight yet every other time I have seen him he seemed top draw

• i think we will get better than that... cant be to upset at a 1-1 with spain in the opening game.
  • We were lucky ............. and did you see when we scored  Pearce just sat there-  not the same Pearce of old -reckon that period with Mclaren and now with Capellllloooo has dampened his enthuasism.

We can not play worse ?????

• We were totally outclassed by a quality Spanish outfit............probably around a decade behind them in terms of ability to play in tight situations.
  • We wasn't outclassed , Spain had plenty possession and it was pleasing on the eye but it was to be expected as they do that at all levels, this meant England had to sit back close space and be patient in our play, we don't as a nation use the ball as well . To me that would be a fair point to make, but smalling was imense at the back and made 2 good tackles in the box in the last 20 but the Spanish were not peppering our goal with shots in fact quite the opposite.

It's all well and good this 10yd passing in triangles but you need a finished product at the end, both goals should've been disallowed and a draw was a fair result.
  • edited June 2011
    Spain were excellent in possession but didn't transform their possession into clear cut chances. I thought the pace we had up front always gave us a chance as their defence was never comfortable. Walker looked very impressive and with Wilshire I think we would have won as the midfield we had didn't have the creativity to utilise our strengths. Having said that - yes their first was a hand ball and not a good example for under 21s to be doing that sort of thing.  Why is it acceptable for players to cheat so visbly and get away with it when FIFA porports to promote fair play? I think the spaniard should be sent home in disgrace but instead he will be patted on the back and congratulated- very sad.
  • I take your point re posession and penetration. Smalling also had a terrific season at United when given the chance. I'd still say that Spain looked a much, much better outfit, especially in terms of looking at this  as a 'development' tournament
  • Sponsored links:

• Henderson - £20 million????????????????
  • Is Shelvey injured or something. Thought he would make the squad.
  • Spain are definitely easier on the eye - I wont argue that.

• Walker was very good going forward but TERRIBLE defensively - reminded me a bit of Sergio Ramos - he'd probably look amazing in the Spanish side ....
  • We wasn't outclassed , Spain had plenty possession and it was pleasing on the eye but it was to be expected as they do that at all levels, this meant England had to sit back close space and be patient in our play, we don't as a nation use the ball as well . To me that would be a fair point to make, but smalling was imense at the back and made 2 good tackles in the box in the last 20 but the Spanish were not peppering our goal with shots in fact quite the opposite. It's all well and good this 10yd passing in triangles but you need a finished product at the end, both goals should've been disallowed and a draw was a fair result.

This.

I'd also add Rodwell should start ahead of Mancienne. walker played very well as did Jones and Smalling. Wellbeck's first touch was poor throughiout but he did enought to get a goal. Promising start. Fed up with this media love in for Spain at the moment regardless of how well their teams play.

• They definitely have weaknesses at under 21 level - we cant play the way they do but we were a creative player short of really using our pace to hurt them. Agree Mancienne wasn't the right player for that match - Shelvey not being inthe team surprised me a bit too I must admit.
  • I thought their defence was very poor.

• well ive watched over 100 mins of henderson now and its making his price tag look embarrasing. keeps trying that killer cross field ball and not once has it been succesful.

we look poor tonight so far.
  • agree VG, there's no way that boy will be starting for Liverpool....£20m madness!!!, JJ looks a far better player/prospect
  • well that first half was a bit underwhelming!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2011

Yawn!

Our midfielders have an uncanny ability to NOT find space.

• second half has started better, keeping the ball, couple of shots. keep it up boys!
  • mancienne is pony
  • Is anybody sure he didn't sign for a hamburger and not 'for Hamburg'.
  • didnt put our chances away, that was frustrating to watch but second half was better! all on the last game now against the cheque book and pens.
  • same problem running through the whole of the english game and has never been much different but is certainly as bad as ever - no quality ball players in midfield -  how we started the tournament with mancienne, who i thought was a defender, in midfield, just about sums it up. 2 centre halfs look decent as does Sturridge. The rest - the usual collection of athletes i guess.
  • mancienne is pony

This
  • mancienne is pony
    This
    agreed - couldn't look less like a captain either.
  • same problem running through the whole of the english game and has never been much different but is certainly as bad as ever - no quality ball players in midfield -  how we started the tournament with mancienne, who i thought was a defender, in midfield, just about sums it up. 2 centre halfs look decent as does Sturridge. The rest - the usual collection of athletes i guess.
    I wonder if better coaching might help?
    Must be worth a try surely?
  • bad at the top and it goes all the way thru ...Brooking -Cappello -Pearce  -Rather have Curbishley and Hoddle and Taylor