Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gavin Rae wanted by cafc

Wanted by CAFC and Aberdeen , thoughts people ? Any good ?

Comments

• Options

thoughts?.........who is he !?!?

• Options
    edited June 2011
    I can see plenty of problems to be honest... 33 years old, plenty of competition, wages likely to be an issue

Would rather have Vincelot if there's anything about that rumour.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Full nameGavin Paul RaeDate of birth28 November 1977 (age 33)Place of birthAberdeenScotlandHeight1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)Playing positionMidfielderNumber4
    YearsTeamApps(Gls)1996–2004Dundee223(26)2004–2007Rangers28(3)2007–2011Cardiff City130(7)
  • Options
    Yep can't see him being cheap, apart from not knowing anything about him I would rather we sign a younger midfielder who can hopefully get better and better with us and help us up through the leagues.

• Options
    looks a bit Paul Dickov-esque there!
  • Options

two bob

• Options

Lets try avoid of ex Joma top wearer's aye!

• Options
    Needs a smaller shirt or bigger arms
  • Options
    I agree with Ledge :0(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've seen him play a couple of times for Cardiff. Don't rate him to be honest. Struggles to get in the Cardiff team and is very much at the end of his career. Could be a stop-gap for Semedo, or do a similar job to Kish at Brighton (I guess) but I'd rather we went for a younger option.
  • Options
    Decent player whenever I've seen him play, could do a job in League 1 imo.
  • Options
    too old. Need players of the right age ie 26, hungry for success but with a bit of experience behind them and then a mix of youth. Hollands is a good example, Rae isn't.
  • Options

Oh well, if he can't get in the Cardiff team, why on Earth would we want him?!?!?

We'd be silly to overlook every player available but over 30 just because of their age. These days so many players play until they are past 35 years old that 33 is not necessarily past it it like it used to be - look at Dailly, he apparently came second in the fitness tests last pre-season at the age of 37. We have to judge each player on their individual merits - if Rae can still get around the pitch and is still fit and not injury prone then why should we refuse to consider him just because he's 33? You need a few older heads amoungst the youngsters, it's all about getting the right one's and getting the right blend. Rae would also be dropping down to the lowest level he's played at so no reason to think he's not good enough for us.

• Options

Rae would also be dropping down to the lowest level he's played at

you forget that he spent a lot of his career in Scotland
  • Options

Rae would also be dropping down to the lowest level he's played at

you forget that he spent a lot of his career in Scotland

Yeah but at a time when there was a bit of money and some good foreign talent in Scotland. It was never the strongest league in Europe, but it was, until recently, better than the English third division, although the standrad seems to have taken a real nose dive in the last 4 or 5 years and I'm not sure it's still the case.

He's been in and around the Cardiff team at a time when they've consistently been in and around the Championship promotion race. Hard to believe he's not good enough for a League 1 side.

• Options
    Just saying that many Cardiff fans think he's a very poor player. And he's old.
  • Options

I've never seen the guy play Gary, so they might be right. All I'm saying is that just cos he looks poor in a promotion chasing Championship side that doesn't mean we'd think the same if he was playing for us in League 1 and if CP does feel he's good enough then why should his age worry us? It's not like CP is assembling a squad of decrepid cripples is it? Hollands is the oldest player signed so far at 26.

It would be nice to only sign players good enough to get us promoted and then compete next seaon without the need to replace any of them for the Championship but that's not realistic. If we do get promoted this season then some regulars will effectively be condeming themselves to a place on the bench, or worse, next season and that may include players we sign this summer - it's all part of football.

It's all well a good thinking long term but you can't do that without any thought for the short term and that will mean a few short term signings will need to be made, which is fine if we don't blow silly money on them - if we can sign a player from the Championship on a free transfer then it has to be worth a look, even if they are the wrong side of 30 and a squad player.

• Options
    Completely agree Exiled. Age isn't important if the player is good enough, fit enough and affordable, as long as we have a decent number of longer term signings.
  • Options
    My point is I don't think he is good enough, from what I've seen and been told by Cardiff fans. Just my thoughts on Rae.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    hes good enough for cardiff city or was !!!
  • Options
    For what its worth he has more Scotland caps than Michael Stewart.
  • Options
    Would anyone have thought Kishishev could still cut the mustard at 36? Most of us would have been shocked, & asking that question, had he come back to us last summer, & not gone to Brighton.

Rae may not be up to the pace of the 2nd tier, but at this level, his experience for a season could well prove very useful, if of course we are actually in for him & get him.

Take the likes of Semedo & Racon out of the midfield equation(& hopefully Alan McNugget - as he is about as useful as one), & we don't have too much experience in the centre mid' area(Jackson aside, but Hollands, only a year at this level) so if true, again, he could be very useful.

Kish did a great job for Brighton, why not someone like Rae doing something similar for us?
  • Options
    Not saying he wouldn't, just expressing my opinion of the player and the opinions of Cardiff fans who have seen him week in, week out.
  • Options

Charlton join race for Aberdeen FC target Rae

Craig Brown faces competition for Gavin deal

By Charlie Allan

Published:07/06/2011

TARGET: Gavin Rae.

GAVIN Rae today confirmed Charlton Athletic are slugging it out with Aberdeen FC for his signature.

Aberdeen FC boss Craig Brown wants to make Scotland international Rae his second major signing of the close season.

But Brown knows he faces serious competition to seal a deal for the midfielder

Read more: http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2298799?UserKey=#ixzz1OchbS7sB
  • Options
    Would anyone have thought Kishishev could still cut the mustard at 36? Most of us would have been shocked, & asking that question, had he come back to us last summer, & not gone to Brighton.

Rae may not be up to the pace of the 2nd tier, but at this level, his experience for a season could well prove very useful, if of course we are actually in for him & get him.

Take the likes of Semedo & Racon out of the midfield equation(& hopefully Alan McNugget - as he is about as useful as one), & we don't have too much experience in the centre mid' area(Jackson aside, but Hollands, only a year at this level) so if true, again, he could be very useful.

Kish did a great job for Brighton, why not someone like Rae doing something similar for us?
    Where is the idea that Jackson is going to play centre mid coming from? He scored a lot of goals from left mid last season and helps solidify things if we have a more traditional winger on the other side. I know he's played there before but he doesn't look a centre mid player to me.  A seasoned experienced boss type midfielder will compliment Hollands and possibly Parret if we can get him back but i'd like to see Jackson stay out at left mid.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    With you on this dan. Seen Henry et al, say how safe we are with Hollands and jj in midfield. Correct me if I'm wrong, but has jj ever played centre mid in his career?
  • Options

I agree with that Bexley Dan, I think left mid looks his most natural position although he'd benefit from having a more attacking, overlapping full back playing behind him - him and a fully fit Kelly Youga would be mustard as a pairing.

Not fussed about Parret though, thought he had some reasonable games for us but also a few poor ones, think we need a bit more consistancy in the middle.

• Options
    Jackson has played CM for a lot of his career. I'm sure someone did say Powell has talked about playing Jackson in CM.

I think where Jackson plays could depend on who we manage to bring in and keep, as it probably did for Parky.
  • Options
    Has Jackson really been played CM alot? I know when we first loaned him we did it for a left back so Notts County must have been playing him there.