Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The merry-go-round gets going

Now Gerard Houllier has stepped down at Villa, Allardyce gets West  Ham job, Ancelotti gets axed it seems like the carousel is gathering speed!

Who's next?

My bet is Curbs to Villa if Hughes turns them down, but Benitez is still hanging around too

Comments

• If Hughes goes to Villa, i can see O'Neill going to Fulham.
  • curbs will get either fulham or villa i reckon
  • Chris Powell to Villa.

• Is Jol still out of a club?
  • Parky to Rochdale.
  • edited June 2011
    Its happening on football forums aswell.
    The defensive crisis at charlton means Bexley Dan is being drafted in, leaving a hole in the charlton life community. However, with 606 closing down, Nick Gray needs a new home to voice his madness. Could a shock return to charlton life be on the cards in a desperate attempt to fill the void after bexley dans departure? Only time will tell.
  • Surely one of Villa or Fulham would give Curbs a shot? Beggars belief he's still without a job, worked wonders with us and then kept West ham up against the odds (with a little help from Carlos Tevez and the FA) and had them comfortably to half when he left - where are they now?

Guess he's maybe paying the price for being a man of principal.

Bet he'd love the Villa job and the chance to work with Benty again. There's the makings of a very tidy squad to be inherited there but also room for a new man to improve them too. Can't imagine they'll be short of applicants.

• Curbs best best is Fulham and even then he may not be considered a "big enough" name for them.

Villa will be looking at the next level of manager, someone in the Martin Jol category or maybe even a Paul Lambert.

• edited June 2011

That's my point though - it's crazy that they would be considered 'the next level' to Curbs. What have they achieved in English Football that he hasn't?
  • edited June 2011
    Talk is Lerner won't employ anyone currently under contract

That brings to the fore - McLaren, Benitez, Jol and Hughes (who works 12 month rolling contracts and his current one is up this month)
  • Sponsored links:

• That's my point though - it's crazy that they would be considered 'the next level' to Curbs. What have they achieved in English Football that he hasn't?

I know, its crazy and unfair but its the way that Curbs is perceived in the game by the bigger clubs.

Its probably because his time at Wet Spam was something of Curate's Egg in nature, you would not say he failed there but at the same time he was hardly a raging success either.

He really is in managerial limbo land at the moment and I think he might have to go back to the CCC if he wants to get back into the PL.

• Does Curbs need it? Does he want it?

The bit of punditry he does is well paid with no stress. He's 53 or 54 now, not an up and coming young manager any more.

The West Ham experience must have left him feeling pretty unhappy.
  • edited June 2011

ormy said

Its probably because his time at Wet Spam was something of Curate's Egg in nature, you would not say he failed there but at the same time he was hardly a raging success either.

he was there for less than two years and he guided them to safety , then to 10th and left after handful of games with them 5th , i suppose failure to get champions league qualification was his let down
  • ormy said

he was there for less than two years and he guided them to safety , then to 10th and left after handful of games with them 5th , i suppose failure to get champions league qualification was his let down

You won't get any argument from me that he is a top-class manager but its not me who needs to be convinced, is it?

For whatever reason top clubs are unwilling to give him a job, he seems to be falling into the "Meh" category of not really being seen as an ambitious appointment, the only clubs that have shown an interest seem to have been CCC or struggling (Hull) Premiership clubs.

I think that in some respects the bigger clubs are a bit concerned about his transfer record at Wet Spam where be paid a lot of money on the likes of Dyer, Ljungberg, Boa Morte and others and they were all dog shit.

That's the only serious mark against his managerial record in my view and even then you could argue that Wet Spam had to pay over the odds because they were bottom and desperate.

• He's good enough for either of these jobs. What might Danny Murphy think if Curbs turns up at Fulham?
  • I think a lot of Premiership chairman probably think he has had his time and been out of the game too long. I he will end up taking a Championship team up to the Prem, rather than joining a Prem team.

And West Ham were not in bottom 3 when he took over, so it was more 'he didnt take them down' rather than kept them up.

• What might Darren Bent think if Curbs turned up at Villa.  Bent didnt sign for WHU re Curbs.
  • Curbs was interviewed for both jobs and thought he had got the fulham job , that's from the horses mouth
    So he'll be a runner for them again I reckon
  • Curbs was interviewed for both jobs and thought he had got the fulham job , that's from the horses mouth
    So he'll be a runner for them again I reckon
    Didn't player power at Fulham act against him as he had upset a number of their key players either with us or West Ham - Murphy, Konchesky, Zamora.  Its not just big clubs that are looking beyond his, Ipswich went for Jewell instead of Curbs, when they have always looked to be a natural home for him.

Notwithstanding Jewell and Dalglish it is difficult to come back after a long period outside of the game, especially when you don't exude charisma.
  • Its happening on football forums aswell.
    The defensive crisis at charlton means Bexley Dan is being drafted in, leaving a hole in the charlton life community. However, with 606 closing down, Nick Gray needs a new home to voice his madness. Could a shock return to charlton life be on the cards in a desperate attempt to fill the void after bexley dans departure? Only time will tell.
    Oh my gosh , i didn't see that one on the News Shopper website!