Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 6th feb 1982 Charlton 2 Palace 1

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic 2 (1) (Walsh 15, McAllister 90) Crystal Palarse 1 (0) (Brooks 70) Att: 9,072

Charlton: Johns, Naylor, elliott, Gritt (Smith 71), McAllister, L Phillips, Ambrose, Walsh, Hales, Berry, Robinson.

Palarse: Barron, Hinshelwood, Boulter, Murphy, Wicks, Cannon, Giles, Smillie, Walsh, Mabbutt (Brooks 58), Hilaire.

Referee: B Daniels (Essex)

Murphy was sent off in the 89th minute for foul and abusive language. Charlton scored the winner soon after. Palarse romped the league this season, winning by 9 points from Forest in 2nd and Millwall in 3rd. Charlton finished half way.

Next up: Crash Bang Wallop what a Pitcher from 1994.

Comments

• Team of the eighties (not)
  • South London derby and barely 9,000 there.....
  • But did we have them on their toes?
  • [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite] Palarse romped the league this season, winning by 9 points from Forest in 2nd and Millwall in 3rd. Charlton finished half way.

They finished 15th - 3 points behind Charlton and 4 points off relegation!
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]But did we have them on their toes?

Massive rows all over the gaff after. I remember seeing Palace getting chased all over Blackheath.
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: HOME & AWAY[/cite]Palarse romped the league this season, winning by 9 points from Forest in 2nd and Millwall in 3rd. Charlton finished half way.

They finished 15th - 3 points behind Charlton and 4 points off relegation!

and there was I, looking at the 1994 table in preparation for my next contribution. Well spotted Addicked, you win this weeks coverted golden annorak!
  • Trying to lift the gloom......
  • Top 3 that year (1982).....Luton, Watford & Norwich....we finished 13th, just below Chelsea.
  • No THAT is a forward line - Killer & Walsh up top with Martin Robinson & Leroy Ambrose on the wings.

No wonder we all harp on about the olden days...............not may 0-0 draws in those days
  • edited February 2015
    Remember this one well along with another 2-1 the following season . There is nothing like a last minute winner .It seemed that the Palace players were still complaining about Murphy's exit when Don McAlister scored.

We had been promoted from the Third and they had been relegated from the First the previous season . As Len observes this was the end of the so called team of the 80's . Pre Selhurst Park a game against Palace didn't engener the same rivalry as it did post 1985 .

AFKA comments about the attendance . I think it was even worse the following season. In those days I saw them a bit like I did Fulham , Orient ( who were regulars in the 2nd tier in that era ) and QPR in that yes it was a London game but it wasn't like Millwall for geographical reasons or one of the big London clubs like Chelsea , Spurs and West Ham all of whom were in the 2nd tier at some stage in the late 70's /early 80's.

I am trying to work out the formation. Terry Naylor and Don McAlister would appear to be the full backs . I think Paul Elliott and Leighton Phillips were the CB partnership.

Although Don McAlister did often play the enforcer role in midfield , it appears that Les Berry must have been playing in midfield . I don't remember Berry playing there. He was from memory a good stopper but I would have thought he would have been limited playing further up the pitch . Steve Gritt also wasn't a creative midfielder. Leroy and Robbo would have been out wide with Killer and Walshie the front two. Neither of whom were 'target men' .

So what would today's fan base have made of that team?

I have commented this season that TBH could have the same influence on Gomez as the Welsh warhorse Leighton Phillips had on the youthful Paul Elliott . They complemented each other well and I am sure Paul benefitted from this . I think that midfield had very little (if any ) creativity in its centre although they would have worked the wings well .The Charlton of that era would never have passed the CL height test as we rarely had a target man striker yet Golfie is right in that we had no problems scoring goals and the football was more exciting to watch .

Football has clearly moved on and today's players are fitter and more skilful in my view . However , is it as entertaining to watch ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting reading about attendences V Palace and that there wasn't a 'real' rivalry pre 1985. Certainly wasn't the case in the 74-75 promotion season, the crowds in both games were around 25,000....we finished 3rd that year behind Blackburn and Plymouth (Palace ended up 5th).
  • Berry was probably at right back with Gritt and McAllister in midfield.
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/13145646624

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • Think the winner was a diving header at the covered end. Don Mac usually played in midfield as I remember.
  • Think the winner was a diving header at the covered end. Don Mac usually played in midfield as I remember.

Correct and my cousin in law Paul Barron was not a happy bunny after the game, refusing to acknowledge his cousin and my sister in the players lounge. Good:)
  • edited February 2015
    Simonsen said:

Berry was probably at right back with Gritt and McAllister in midfield.

Terry Naylor was definately right back . He did play in the midfield at times in the 80/81 promotion team but from memory he was an ever present in that position that year . I think he may have been player of the year . I don't think Berry would have been deployed at left back although you are right he did play on the right on a number of occasions.

Following Phil Warman's departure the previous summer the left back position was not so stable. Steve Harrison started that season but another new signing Phil Ferns emerged . I think this also might have been around the time Lawrie Madden joined the Spanners as he had been known to fill in from time to time . As none of those played in this game I assumed McAlister must have moved there .

Don McAlister could and did play both full back positions at some stage for us. He had also partnered Naylor at Spurs as a left back for a number of seasons . Another possibility is that Leighton Phillips either played as a sweeper or he moved into midfield. From memory the numbers didn't matter Mullery kept McAlister at 5 all season . Berry wore 10 and Elliott 3 .
  • I remember Don McAllister tackling Jerry Murphy down the line with such force that Murphy ended up in the West Stand. That went down well.
  • I liked Terry Naylor, he had a good rapport with the fans and appreciated the support at away games!
  • Ah yes, The Don. One of my favourite Charlton goals, a diving header in front of the covered end whilst the Croydon W*****s were still shaking their handbags at Murphy's sending off.
  • Was this the Palace game where it was raining and the OB gave Palace a part of the Covered End? You could smell the fear.
  • Sponsored links:

• No. that was a night game that finished 1-1. Unfortunately they went up that season
  • No. that was a night game that finished 1-1. Unfortunately they went up that season

I mentioned that on an old thread about the covered end and people were in denial about it. Thank you for reassuring my memory was indeed correct.

I mentioned that on an old thread about the covered end and people were in denial about it. Thank you for reassuring my memory was indeed correct.
    They had the right side as you look from the pitch.

The left-side covered end. Lol

• WayneK said:

No. that was a night game that finished 1-1. Unfortunately they went up that season

The left-side covered end. Lol

That's correct.