Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wednesday fans!

after reading the other threads on cardiff and arsenal it got me thinking. i went to hillsborough for the last game of the season, as my father-in-law was visiting the country and wanted to see an english football match. tis is the only game i've ever been to that didnt involve my beloved charlton and it felt a bit starnge. no sick feeling in the stomach as the players come onto the pitch etc. when they lost to exeter in the last minute after leading early on, it was almost sad to witness the disappointment of yet another season coming to nothing and ending as poorly as it began. their season was worse than ours but only just. they had a managerial change and an old boy came back to take charge but it hasn't worked out. it was a big turnout 23,000 yet the team couldn't get a result despite a good first half. a lot of wednesday fans boo'ed at full time which was quite a sad way to send the team off for the summer. but after the boo boys left the ground a hardcore of diehards stayed behind and as i walked up leppings lane with a mix of jubilant exeter fans and frustrated wednesday fans i could hear a large group of the faithful still in the ground cheering on the players and club staff ' wednesday till i die'. all i was caring about was the 0-0 result at the valley and i thought the same thing. another poor season for us but so what! 'Charlton till i die'

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Know what you mean, I go to a a few games throughout a season as a neutral- some with fans of that club, some just to see some live football maybe with my Dad who doesn't come to Charlton as much as he should/used to and tend to really enjoy it. Of course it depends on the game but generally it is nice to see some live football, see what other fans are like and not be too fussed about the result. Also interesting to fan watch, sometimes I look at fans of other clubs berating their players, referees etc and think "you're mad", then it dawns on me that at Charlton, I am that guy. Of course, if I'm at Charlton boring can sometimes be ok (give me a scrappy 1-0 win anyway for us) but boring as a neutral- crikey. Went to Bolton v Wigan when Charlton's 2nd Rochdale game was called off, snoozefest- although was only a fiver as FA Cup. Anyway, no other game or result could ever really compare to Saturday watching Charlton (not necessarily for the entertainment) and get where you're coming from.
  • Options
    Proper club, brilliant away support aswell. Took 1500 to bristol rovers a few weeks back for a meaningless fixture.
  • Options
    The best thing about going to a neutral game is that you are able to watch both teams equally, and therefore be able to recognise the outstanding players in the game. Thinking about it, it's a bit like going as a Scout.
  • Options
    Exeter have a thing about playing in front of crowds of 23000