Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Hayes 1925 - 2011

2»

Comments

• Options

RIP George Hayes. Hearing stories like this, it really puts into perspective for people my age (twenties) how much we owe people like George.

• Options

a good man, Ben.  I 'm pleased to have known him, hope all goes well tomorrow

Derek & Barbara

• Options
    Great story Ben.

RIP to your dad and be proud tomorrow.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear your news, Ben.

Loved reading your father's story.

• Options
    That is a great story Ben, it's sad that you only got to tell us at such a personally difficult time.

RIP
  • Options
    Ben, pleases accept my condolences for your sad loss. I have never met you or your family but I did vote for you as the fans Director and am grateful to you for pioneering the annual rememberence ceremony for all those connected with Charlton who have lost a loved one in the preeceding 12 months. It gave me great comfort and pride to see my old Dad's name on the big screen. He was also a 2nd world war veteran who passed away in 2008 aged 90 and a lifelong fan who must have shared the same highs and lows as George, following his beloved Charlton. He too liked Don Welsh and talked fondly of the Oakes brothers but his favourite was an inside forward by the name of Sailor Brown. My thoughts will be with you as you celebrate his life tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sad news , although a life worth celebrating by the sound of it.

RIP
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I was really sorry to read of your Dad's death Ben. He sounds like a real character and a hero as well. God bless him.

RIP

• Options
    Ben sorry to hear of your loss , sounds like you have a lot to be proud about your dad, i don't think i could have done what he done , putting his neck on the line in that way, what a hero , RIP George.
  • Options
    A life well lived.

RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry to hear that mate hope your all well

Rip Mr hayes
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options

Sorry to hear your news.
  • Options
    Wonderful stuff Ben.
    May your Dad rest in peace.
  • Options
    Condolences to you and your family Ben.
  • Options
    RIP and condolences to you Ben.
  • Options

What a terrific story and what a brave man.

Condolences to you and your family.

RIP.

• Options
    RIP - Great story and really puts everything into perspective and shows just how selfless some people can be.
  • Options

Hope tomorrow goes as well as it can in the circumstances

RIP

• Options
    RIP My thoughts are with you, and the rest of the family Ben god bless.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing his story.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    A generation shaped by war, hardship, community, love and peace. Condolences to you, your mum and family Ben, their imprint and legacy live on. RIP.
  • Options
    Another one for the great East Terrace in the sky.

RIP George. Best Wishes Ben.
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I saw a TV programme a while back about the World War 2 bomb disposal squad. If people think the scenes in Hurt Locker are terrifying, then I have know idea how people mustered up the courage to drill a hole in the side of a Nazi bomb using a hand drill and wearing nothing more than a standard army uniform. True heroes who genuinely risked their lives on a daily basis to save the lives of others. I take my hat off to your Dad Henners - the world will doubtless be a poorer place as more and more of his 'type' pass away.

RIP and my deepest condolences.

• Options
    I hope the day went off as well as could be expected Ben. My condolences to you and your family. You have every right to be very proud of your Dad.
  • Options
    Ten years on

• Options
    Missed this first time around. 

Lovely stories. 

RIP Sir. 
  • Options
    Many of our Dads and Granddads did extraordinary things, things we can't even comprehend, your Dad did his bit, and be proud, Take out his medals, polish them and reflect. 

That is what being English is about, selfless duties,