Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Professor Richard Holmes

edited May 2011 in Not Sports Related
The military historian Prof. Richard Holmes has died at the age of 65. Popularly known for his 'War Walks' series on T.V and the writer of many books on military campaigns. A natural presenter who really knew his subject. RIP.

Comments

• RIP.

I knew he had leukaemia, and it seems that the consequences of that disease did for him.

The War Walks programme was great TV, you could read about battles, and occasionally see fictionalised versions or re-staging of events, but to see the terrain that soldiers fought over was illuminating.

• Always enjoyed watching war walks. RIP
  • echo the above comments............because of his "war walks" I once found myself walking along the " Battle of Bosworth" path.  RIP
  • edited May 2011
    and he was an inspiration to many young British Army Officers as a tutor at Sandhurst.
  • I've not heard of him, but I did teach a boy of the same name last year.
  • Such a shame - he was so knowledgeable and I loved his programmes.

A great loss - RIP.

• You have made me wish that I had come across this programme. If you see it being repeated please let me know, my Dad was regular Army all his life and a Dunkirk veteran.
  • Grandpa, the War Walks are available from Amazon at £8.99 for each series (6 programmes to each). Go to' Richard Holmes War Walks'  then scroll down and you can see what each series contains. Highly recommended viewing.
  • RIP sir