Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If we want to be top 2 next season

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
There are 2 good indicators, which of our players are good enough.

A) Which players made the PFA team of the season? Answer BWP

B) Which of our players would get into the Brighton or Soton teams? Answer BWP & Jackson

All the chat about the rest is pretty immaterial. None of them are really good enough. It's just levels of degree.

Discuss

Comments

• Also think there's probably a C as it's not just about the best 11 - you need a squad.

C) Whch of our players would be considered decent enough squad players for those two clubs.
  • [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]Also think there's probably a C as it's not just about the best 11 - you need a squad.

C) Whch of our players would be considered decent enough squad players for those two clubs.

Agreed :-

Solly, Dailly, Waggy, Racon, Semedo, Reid, Benson off the top of my head
  • Good questions. However, I still think one of the most important things you need in this league is a team that plays as a team. And that is CP's challenge over the summer - to spend wisely and mould the players he buys into a team.
  • Really Don't think our problem will be scoring goals with the players we have.Conceding them is another matter.

If the coffers are now full the first thing I would do is buy a top notch Goalkeeper. Not just decent.Top top notch.
    Anyone care to remember who one of Curbs first signings were when we got relegated in 99?

Wasn't cheap either,But Deano was a pivotal part in the success that followed.
  • Yes you need good players but the best teams are ones where the team is better than the sum of the parts.
  • [cite]Posted By: carly burn[/cite]Really Don't think our problem will be scoring goals with the players we have.Conceding them is another matter.

If the coffers are now full the first thing I would do is buy a top notch Goalkeeper. Not just decent.Top top notch.
    Anyone care to remember who one of Curbs first signings were when we got relegated in 99?

Wasn't cheap either,But Deano was a pivotal part in the success that followed.

Definitely agree with this. On goals scored we're something like 10th, but on goals conceded we're something like 16th.
  • What about the midfield? Arguably that's where it's been worst! Getting overrun, losing possession... if we were missing shedloads of chances when we were losing games you could blame the attack, but until lately we never create chances.

The whole team is t*ss. Wholesale changes are needed, there's only a handful worthy of staying on for anything beyond a squad role.
  • I think we've probably got 5 or 6 good enough if they are on form - but form comes from winning games, a decent game plan and putting players in their best positions.

Semedo, Jackson, Parrett, Reid, Racon and BWP could all be good enough if given some confidence, a structure and they actually cared enough about their performances consistently enough at this level ....
  • Michael Stewart will only get better with an improvement in fitness.
    He is not a loanee but of course he may well get a better offer.
    I am hoping that we will push the boat out which will be a clear statement of intent.
  • Definitely agree with you on the GK. It would give confidence to the whole team, not least the back four.

A crucial position for us next season...we'd all love a new Deano!
  • Sponsored links:

• Fraser Forster's the man
  • You won't get a top, top goalie coming to a 3rd Div team. Or any other top players. Next season will be worse than this.
  • edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: Green Day[/cite]Fraser Forster's the man

He would be great, but I feel we would have no chance. He is No1 at Celtic at the mo', & if Newcastle don't put him in line for their No1 slot, he will go on loan, or be sold to at least a bigger Championship side, or maybe even Norwich, if they get promoted.
    [cite]Posted By: Chirpy Red[/cite]You won't get a top, top goalie coming to a 3rd Div team. Or any other top players. Next season will be worse than this.

Hope you are wrong, not-so-Chirpy, on all counts, but I do feel you are right with your 'top. top goalie thoughts. However, a better keeper at this level, or a loan from the championship, or hopefully higher(someone with the potential of Forster).

I think Richard Lee of Brentford could be good.

Maybe attempt to get Frazer Richardson back, at least on loan, if he doesn't figure too much at South Coast Club next season.

Danny Green maybe.
  • edited April 2011
    It isn't just about the players though is it? Its about coaching and tactics and players knowing what is expected of them, which leads to confidence and a winning mentality

I didn't go on Monday but I read comments about Rochdale being a poor side and being as they were in with a shout of the play offs that shows how bad the league is. People forget that Rochdale have had a dip in form. Dips in form usually manifest themselves in low confidence and that makes players tentative - its a vicious circle.

This season for me has been all about our confidence as a club and as a team. The club itself lacked confidence and self-belief from the Board, to the manager, to the players and to the fans. Parky was only ever one or two results away from calls for his head. CP has had maybe a few more games but inevitably the knives have been sharpened again.

Next season for me is about how the new board sets its stall out by backing the manager. How CP is able to coach the team in away that builds the confidence, that gains the momentum, that carries us forward. How we as fans respond.

We know it will involve the signing of virtually a completely new team. We can all speculate on this player or that player. None of us knows who he is going to buy, and even he wont be able to get every player that he has on his top 20 list.

Of the current squad who are not either on loan or out of contract, that leaves BWP, Benson and Jackson as automatic choices. I would also keep Solly, Waggy, Racon, Semedo and Dailly although the last three are almost certainly out of contract. I am sure we will end up with new 'keepers, new centre backs, a full back or two plus creative midfielders and a striker or two. I really don't care who to be honest. I just hope CP can get them knocked into shape and playing for the shirt.
  • Dont go out and buy players that are past their time even if they have just had a good season.

Neil Redfearn
    Gary Docherty
  • Neil Redfearn was hardly past his time, he scored 14 goals playing as an attacking midfielder just behind the strikers in a very poor Barnsley side. Curbishley chose to pay a record fee (at the time) & then played him as a holding midfielder ???????
  • edited April 2011
    My honest take on it is: Elliot is an excellent keeper for this level and if we could get Sullivan too we are sorted in that position - Solley and Francis fine for right backs - We need 1 centre half - pacy and strong preferably - then one of Doc, Llera and Fortune to play alongside and the other 2 as cover would be fine. We will need 2 left backs- I'd keep Bessone but try to find somebody better to compete for the place. Midfield - I'd like Semedo, Stewart, Parrett, Racon, Jackson in the mix - that looks decent to me. Wide right - I'd keep Waggy but would like to find an alternative who beats people to compete for that place, Wide left - Reid (we know he can do it even if this season has been disapointying - we also know Racon can play there and Harriot is coming through. Up front - BWP, Benson, Anyinsah ( I think he has been good enough when fit to give another season to- hopefully the right prep will make him less fragile) and A N other who has some presence.

I think we will be there or there abouts with that and it doesn't require major surgery. A keeper, a quality centre half, an attacking left back, a right winger and a decent striker. We'd lose Dailly ( He is getting too old), McCormack, Youga, Jenkinson and some who haven't established themselves in the first team and possibly Worner. It would mean keeping hold of Parrett, Bessone, Semedo, Racon and Stewart but I think this would be doable. It doesn't look an impossible job to me.
  • [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Neil Redfearn was hardly past his time, he scored 14 goals playing as an attacking midfielder just behind the strikers in a very poor Barnsley side. Curbishley chose to pay a record fee (at the time) & then played him as a holding midfielder ???????

Curbs Out.....

;-)
  • edited April 2011
    Do you think Parrett and Stewart are a better prospect in centre midfield for next season than Racon & Semedo could be / have been?
  • I still think our defence needs tightening up as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• What Muttley said. But add to that, if Liverpool sell Eccleston BUY HIM.
  • [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]Do you think Parrett and Stewart are a better prospect in centre midfield for next season than Racon & Semedo could be / have been?

Without a shadow of a doubt - wind back 4 months and people were banging on about how they were the two that could be playing at a higher level when in reality, neither are capable of playing centre mid and i'll be amazed if, when they leave this summer, they end up playing centre mid anywhere else.
  • for me, I like Sullivan in goal, would be happy with that, Elliott as back up.

none of the current back 4 in my opinion would be first choice next season (with the possible exception of Solly if 2 solid centre backs come in)

this is the main is where I think our problems lie, not sure the midfield and forwards require too much tinkering (especially if we could sign Stewart and also Parret on a season long loan), another striker probably, but I also think BWP and Benson could strike up a decent partnership
  • We definitely need to strengthen wide right. That Bennett at Brighton has got over 30 assists this season, I don't know how many Waggy has got but I'd wager his tally isn't even half of that.

I'm not saying get rid of Waggy or that players like Bennett are easy to find in this league, but we need someone there going past men and getting quality balls in the box REGULARLY.
  • Maybe a fit Anyinsah could play there. Investing in the best medical and fitness people to work on him pre season would be money well spent IMO.
  • [cite]Posted By: jamiebcool[/cite]We definitely need to strengthen wide right. That Bennett at Brighton has got over 30 assists this season, I don't know how many Waggy has got but I'd wager his tally isn't even half of that.

I'm not saying get rid of Waggy or that players like Bennett are easy to find in this league, but we need someone there going past men and getting quality balls in the box REGULARLY.
    According to the FL site Bennett has 17 assists and 6 goals, Waggy has 6 assist and 8 goals.

In a better team I think we'd get more out of Waggy, especially goals. Though we do need a different type of player as an alternative to him.
  • I think Waggy comes into his own when defences tire a bit - his fitness then becomes a bigger factor. For me he is an excellent sub.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jamiebcool[/cite]We definitely need to strengthen wide right. That Bennett at Brighton has got over 30 assists this season, I don't know how many Waggy has got but I'd wager his tally isn't even half of that.

According to the FL site Bennett has 17 assists and 6 goals, Waggy has 6 assist and 8 goals.

In a better team I think we'd get more out of Waggy, especially goals. Though we do need a different type of player as an alternative to him.

I'm just going on what the commentators said on the Brighton-Colcester game. Perhaps in all competitions? Still right about waggy not even getting half his total though ;)
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: jamiebcool[/cite]We definitely need to strengthen wide right. That Bennett at Brighton has got over 30 assists this season, I don't know how many Waggy has got but I'd wager his tally isn't even half of that.

I'm just going on what the commentators said on the Brighton-Colcester game. Perhaps in all competitions? Still right about waggy not even getting half his total though ;)
  • Priority for promotion.

New quality goalkeeper. Sullivan as backup.
    New right back, new left back two new centre halfs. Keep Solly, Dailly, Llera and Youga if fit enough.
    Get Parrett and Stewart. One really good playmaker. Keep Racon, Waggy, Jackson and Semedo.
    Two strikers in. Keep BWP, Benson.

Can't decide on Reid

That's nine completely new Charlton players plus some of what we have.

Wil it happen ? Can't see more than five coming in tbh. Could be an exiting summer.