Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The one disappointment about the last couple of games...

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
imo, are that virtually all of the positives are unlikely (again imo) to be here next season.

Eccleston, Parrett, Racon all seem unlikely to remain here. Racon's impressive end of season run will almost certainly land him a championship club, whilst its been a pretty tubulent and frustrating spell for Eccleston. I can't see him wanting to return here if Liverpool are looking to send him out again. Parrett has done well, and if we could secure on a season-long loan i would be very pleased, but unlikely Spurs would want to commit their player to League One for a season.

BWP getting the captain's armband was a strange one, but strongly suggested to me that Doherty will be shipped on if he can find another club in the summer.

Stewart i'm not fully sold on yet, but i think he has done enough to warrent a contract offer, particularly if his wages are reasonable.

Interesting summer ahead.

Comments

• Options
    Given that most footballers and their agents are little more than mercenaries eg Jenkinson the question for me is whether a largish London third division club pays more than perhaps half the clubs in the league above.

If the answer is yes then we might attract players who would otherwise aspire to the league above.

Cynical but probably true, sadly.
  • Options
    Should prefer promotion from l1 to just palying for nothing in championship. Offer big bonuses on promotion, incentive.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes it should be and I don't think we can write any off as not signing for us although I do think Ecclestone will be unlikely - mind you if he gets a run in the team- you never know. The problem is that we will be competing against Championship clubs but Parrett is young and seems to be settling in so if I was Spurs, I'd consider letting him stay with us for half a season to begin with and see where it goes- he is probably some way away from their first team. Racon could go but it depends what sort of money he will be offered - obviously, we are going to offer him less but which Championship clubs will want to pay him more?

BWP as captain -could be one of those aimed at finding another dimension - motivation for him rather than the effect it has on the rest of the side. I'm a great believer in us having 11 captains anyway.

Stewart looks above the division but if we commit with a decent contract and others want trials, we could snare him.
  • Options
    Parrett was saying the other week he'd come back, plus Spurs have been known to loan their youngsters to Orient and then Bostock to Brentford last season, so that one could happen.

Always thought Racon could do it on the left and he's been putting in some good performances, but then he has been one of our better performers this season anyway.

No-one has any idea what our budget is going to be although I can probably guess we'll have one of the largest if not the largest wage budget next season. If you offer people enough money they'll play L1 football for (hopefully) a season.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure Racon could cut it in The Championship. Squad player maybe and there's no doubt he's done ok recently but I don't think he's quite good enough. We shall see.....
  • Options
    Would be great to secure Parrett for next season but can't see it, think he will get a Championship move like Townsend and Livermore have this season from Spurs. Pity as he has got better with each game and I think there are more goals like yesterdays in his locker as he can find space outside the box and looks like he has a decent shot on him aswell.

Not too fussed about Racon, shame that it will be only in his last few games for us that he has shown what a good LM he can be but for me he has been to inconsistent over the last couple of years and has not done enough to suggest next season he will be any better. He will no doubt go somewhere else and excel but I think we need to move on. Certainly don't think it would be a positive move to keep Racon as a possible first team CM. Also hopefully Jackson will be fit and available as first choice LM next season.

As for Eccleston, it is evident he can't play upfront with BWP who will hopeuflly be the main man again next season and if he is loaned back, then he'll want more football than he has had since Jan. He can do a job on the right but again more likely to go to a Championship club- Hull were interested apparantly at one stage and they have had Ayala from Liverpool this season so that could be a possibility.

Stewarts programme interview was certainly different from the usual- the fact he is so keenly interested in politics and has a desire to play abroad shows he is not like a stereotypical british footballer. It was clear I think he is very opinionated and honest, perhaps explains why he has had some fall outs in his career but also why he has been a captain and leader at his clubs. Not sure if he will want to stay but I have been impressed and he has shown some good qualities, hope we at least offer him a deal.
  • Options
    I think the signs have been there that Stewart could be a great addition, without him actually being fantastic. That is in our favour as we might be more willing to commit than other clubs. Parrett is indicating he would like to stay, he is getting regular games, and that would be a big factor. If Spurs believe he is making progress here, and it would surprise me if they didn't, I think it is more than likely he will still be with us next season. I would expect a deal for the rest of the year if it happens which would be reviewed in January.

Racon is on big money - he has shown that he is a good player at this level and has been more involved of late. Nobody is going to offer him guaranteed first team football and the money he is on now IMO. The issue is going to be around the comparison to what we do offer him to others. I think it is quite possible that he would be with us next season. Another possible scenario is that we could lose Jackson, as he is a player who could command a reasonable fee - maybe a fee which is too good to turn down if Racon signs.
  • Options
    i would prefer racon next season over jackson
  • Options
    What about Sullivan? Do we want him back - or is there better out there? Worner will be on his way out I guess as his contract expires this summer.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]What about Sullivan? Do we want him back - or is there better out there? Worner will be on his way out I guess as his contract expires this summer.

I hope we keep Worner - he's a young keeper and I feel he's done well for us this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sullivan's done all right, but he's not the answer. I really feel we need another decent (for this level) keeper next season. I honestly feel that the rot set in in the keeper department way back when Dowie signed Carson on loan and put him straight in the team (to even Carson's surprise), thereby immediately alienating two excellent keepers in Myhre (who was very good at the tail end of the season before) and Stephan Andersen, both of whom, understandably, decided to go. Carson goes back to Liverpool, which was always the arrangement, and before you know it we've got Nicky Weaver between the sticks. Then Weaver goes and we were left with Elliott and Randolph - Parkinson alienates Randolph, and here we are...
  • Options
    The game is rotten. All about money. No point trying to do things the old Charlton way of bringing through youngsters anymore because at this level bigger fish will just snap them up the moment they show a modicum of potential.

Unless you have a rare as rocking horse business manager like Jackett who can work wonders on an average Div 3 budget then muchos £s are required.

Just need to spend spend and spend in the summer and hope that our more expensive mercenaries are better than those turning out for the other 23 clubs in the league.

Really disillusioned with it seeing home grown talent leaving especially when they offer a glimmer of hope at getting back to the big time organically and the irony is to keep hold of the Shelveys and the Jenkinsons you need to be playing at the top. Only way that is going to happen (bar SCP emerging as the next Curbishley) is by outspending everyone and hoping they gel.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]The game is rotten. All about money. No point trying to do things the old Charlton way of bringing through youngsters anymore because at this level bigger fish will just snap them up the moment they show a modicum of potential.

Unless you have a rare as rocking horse business manager like Jackett who can work wonders on an average Div 3 budget then muchos £s are required.

Just need to spend spend and spend in the summer and hope that our more expensive mercenaries are better than those turning out for the other 23 clubs in the league.

Really disillusioned with it seeing home grown talent leaving especially when they offer a glimmer of hope at getting back to the big time organically and the irony is to keep hold of the Shelveys and the Jenkinsons you need to be playing at the top. Only way that is going to happen (bar SCP emerging as the next Curbishley) is by outspending everyone and hoping they gel.

Didn't we outspend everyone in our first Championship season and didn't we spend the most last season (at least on wages, we did)? I don't disagree that money will have to be spent but there's more to it than that. What Lambert has done is amazing. Norwich were in freefall too, but they got the right bloke in who made an immediate impact, probably have a decent wage budget but haven't spent fortunes on big-name players have they? Just a team and manager that does it's job very well. I hope we bring in the right type of players, and I hope CP can get them going, if not I expect we'll see more changes very quickly.
  • Options
    As soon as you give Racon a contract he will ease off the pedal again and we will be left with the expensive flop that, in reality, he is.

To say he is better than Jackson is astonishing.

We must move on from the players that got us relegated and build with players who are hungry for success.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Parrett was saying the other week he'd come back, plus Spurs have been known to loan their youngsters to Orient and then Bostock to Brentford last season, so that one could happen.

Always thought Racon could do it on the left and he's been putting in some good performances, but then he has been one of our better performers this season anyway.

No-one has any idea what our budget is going to be although I can probably guess we'll have one of the largest if not the largest wage budget next season. If you offer people enough money they'll play L1 football for (hopefully) a season.

It has been said that our players salary budget will be the same next season, which should effectively mean more, if we are not paying Youga's £8kpw and Semedo & Racons £6kpw.It thought most of the others are on £2kpw.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]Given that most footballers and their agents are little more than mercenaries eg Jenkinson.
    Cynical but probably true, sadly.

Not cynical. Just wrong.

Did you not have a career path Len? We no longer live in the 1950's.
  • Options
    Aren't most people "mercenaries" in that context Len?

I mean, very few work simply because they love it. Most work because they need to in order to earn money. That often means you have to sacrifice certain personal aims and goals and do whatever you can just to ensure that you and your family are provided for. Also, it can often mean pushing yourself in order to realise your full potential and not settling for second best - which in turn can mean that you "get on" and earn more money.

It's a fact of life and from what I can make out is not really a hell of a lot different to the way it's always been.