Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carl Jenkinson

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
Carl Jenkinson was named on the substitutes' bench, with a handful of fans venting their disappointment towards the defender following his decision to decline to sign a new contract offer from the club.

"I didn't realise [that], I had a game to win, but it's a shame if they've done that," said Powell. "He's made his decision with his advisors and family, but he's still one of ours.

"If he's available and I can choose him, then I will. Until someone says he has competely gone, then he's one of ours. He's a player who has been at the club a long time and I'm proud of his progress.

"There's a lot of quality in Carl and he'll have a good career in the game. We've lost a few players recently, so he had to come in. It's disappointing if that happens, but the fans pay their money."

Fair play SCP

Comments

• Options
    don't agree if he's naffed off as far as I am concerned he isn't one of ours and should be as far away as possible from the team.
  • Options
    Hmmm....nice words, but Jenkinson wasn’t brought on when Bessone went off. If he had not been going to Arsenal then I’m sure we would have seen him in the team more, it’s only the suspensions that have seen him back in the squad at all and to not even get off the bench yesterday says that Powell, whilst saying “he’s one of ours” really means “he’s one of ours...for now”.

I don’t think there’s much wrong with booing Jenkinson, going any further than that is a bit much. I think people have to realise that the reaction to the situation of a fan as opposed to a professional player is always going to be different, Carl Jenkinson has to put Carl Jenkinson first, I put Charlton first, unfortunately in this situation the reactions to what’s happened are mutually exclusive.
  • Options
    I agree with Powell - good luck to the kid. He has improved over the last 2 years and a bigger team has come in for him - this always happens. No need to hate him or abuse him for it. If someone offered to quadruple (or more) your wages - tell me you wouldn't go if your contract had not been signed? Players evolve and we have to accept it. We are still making some money out of it, like the Jonjo deal.
  • Options
    He's no more "one of ours" chris than scott parker or Jermain Defoe.

Anyone who wants to play for anyone other than Charlton can f off as far as Im concerned.
  • Options
    Powell is a bit of a mug for this really.
    He is NOT one of ours.
    And he will be gone as soon as he possibly can.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]don't agree if he's naffed off as far as I am concerned he isn't one of ours and should be as far away as possible from the team.

really divided on this one.......
    I get the impression he is only on the bench for cover, because there is a deal, or an offer on the table from Arsenal.
    As I have already stated I do not want the lad to go, but I am afraid that seems a hopeless request!

His 'advisors' have guided him to this situation where he is not prepared to sign a new deal! yes..... well that in the final context is up to him!

I am sure we have no idea of what the position is, and he would not be the first player to decline a deal.

We shall see how many true Charlton player's are left at the club for the first game of the season!

I shall be very sad to see the lad go, but if he want's away, then it is a question of how much!

If as rumour has it he goes to Arsenal, I hope he likes bench warming!....... in the reserves!
  • Options
    should be anywhere near the squad at the moment as it appears he's made his decision, surely we had someone else yesterday ?!?!
  • Options
    This is going to happen time and time again and I have no doubt that if Cousins, Popo, Harriott, Gough, Warren and Osbourne all make progress, another club will be sniffing around them too. Interesting to see how long their contracts are in light of this.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]should be anywhere near the squad at the moment as it appears he's made his decision, surely we had someone else yesterday ?!?!

Exactly. What player is going to be 100% comitted when weighing up a move knowing gettin an injury may jeopardise that. Wont be in the right frame of mind or physically up for it to the detriment of our club.

Would rather have one of the Jackpot ticket ladies warming the bench than a mug who doesnt want to play for us.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Elthamaddick[/cite]should be anywhere near the squad at the moment as it appears he's made his decision, surely we had someone else yesterday ?!?!

Exactly. What player is going to be 100% comitted when weighing up a move knowing gettin an injury may jeopardise that. Wont be in the right frame of mind or physically up for it to the detriment of our club.

Would rather have one of the Jackpot ticket ladies warming the bench than a mug who doesnt want to play for us.

Did you feel the same way about Jonjo Shelvey before he left - everyone knew he was going a long time before he actually left?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: SECAFC[/cite]Carl Jenkinson was named on the substitutes' bench, with a handful of fans venting their disappointment towards the defender following his decision to decline to sign a new contract offer from the club.

"I didn't realise [that], I had a game to win, but it's a shame if they've done that," said Powell. "He's made his decision with his advisors and family, but he's still one of ours.

"If he's available and I can choose him, then I will. Until someone says he has competely gone, then he's one of ours. He's a player who has been at the club a long time and I'm proud of his progress.

"There's a lot of quality in Carl and he'll have a good career in the game. We've lost a few players recently, so he had to come in. It's disappointing if that happens, but the fans pay their money."

So if we make an improved offer! and he has second thoughts, what then!

Perhaps he has a poor contract!...... we do not know!.

Perhaps we should see some of this 'significant investment' ...........after all the lad has been one of the few bright spots this season!......and Powell as stated above rates him!
  • Options
    The fault is all ours for not tying him to a longer deal last year.
  • Options
    Why do we get so possessive over players - 'we' as fans or a club do not own them - they play for a club for the duration of a contract (sometimes) and they move on as and when their time is right, not the fans. Even whilst under a contract they still move when it suits the player, agent or the club involved. Contracts are worth nothing in football as we all well know and 'loyalty' from clubs or players does not really exist. Let's face it Jenkinson will be replaced if he goes and we will continue to moan about the next player that chooses to take a better deal elsewhere. At the minute we are well down the 'food chain', but good players are coming through the academy. I will not lose any sleep over this!
  • Options
    Shelvey is a totally different level. The problem isn't with ambition or wanting to join a bigger club or earn more money, the problem is not having the class to sort out those who have supported and developed you since X years old. If Arsenal or anyone else think he's good enough now, they'll think he's good enough for a fee in 6 months time.
  • Options
    Agree - and Jenkinson was on the bench to make the numbers up - nothing else. If booing him sends a message out to other potential judas a likes, then it could be a good thing.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Shelvey is a totally different level. The problem isn't with ambition or wanting to join a bigger club or earn more money, the problem is not having the class to sort out those who have supported and developed you since X years old. If Arsenal or anyone else think he's good enough now, they'll think he's good enough for a fee in 6 months time.

That's the way I see it as well
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MuttleyCAFC[/cite]Agree - and Jenkinson was on the bench to make the numbers up - nothing else. If booing him sends a message out to other potential judas a likes, then it could be a good thing.

My concern is more what message it gives the other younger players ... Jenkinson decides to go yet still gets a place on the bench over others who are staying.
  • Options
    But if he wasn't leaving, he'd be starting rather than being an unused sub getting booed!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]The fault is all ours for not tying him to a longer deal last year.[/quote]

Agree with that, though depends if his agent (love to know who it is) advised him not to take a longer one (if it was even offered).
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: harveys gardener[/cite]The fault is all ours for not tying him to a longer deal last year.

Agree with that, though depends if his agent (love to know who it is) advised him not to take a longer one (if it was even offered).

He was only offered a one year deal last year - all of the first year pro's were. Let's see if the club have learned from that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've heard that he is going to be loaned back to us for next season. If that is the case then it needs to become public knowledge as soon as possible. You can't blame him for wanting to join Arsenal.
  • Options
    Can't see him coming back on loan - everyone will boo him!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]Can't see him coming back on loan - everyone will boo him!!

then we'll be shooting ourselves in the foot
  • Options
    another case of CP being right even when he is wrong.

So he plays the guy because he is still"one of ours"--- and thats good for the cultists-----so if thats right why hasnt he played him for the last few months when we have (A) been totaly shit and (b) been totaly shit ? At the time "CP showing who is boss by not playing someone who dosnt want to play for CAFC" or some such blurb---------------------so what happened to that train of thought ?

Sorry but to me (IMO) its just another sign that CP`s head is spinning and he dont really have a way forward at all. I think he is looking forward to the end ofthe season as much as most of us are.maybe then he can re-group (if he wants to) and actually have time to set out a strategy.
  • Options
    Been at the club most of his life, finally gets a chance to play but decides he don't want to know as soon as a big club comes calling. He could of least signed a contract so we could get a fee for him like Shelvey did.
    I was booing him and I'm suprised there wasn't more boos.
  • Options
    shelvey also helped us get nathan eccleston
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PaulCAFC[/cite]

Did you feel the same way about Jonjo Shelvey before he left - everyone knew he was going a long time before he actually left?

No mate Shelvey was completely different and wasnt getting played anyway.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: RodneyCharltonTrotta[/cite]Would rather have one of the Jackpot ticket ladies warming the bench than a mug who doesnt want to play for us.[/quote][/quote]

Especially the one in the lower North as you go through the turnstiles!
  • Options

The other side of the coin was that we didn't offer him a contract until relatively late in the day. The difference with Parker was that he was under contract, and Defoe left before we had the ability to sign him up (but certainly would have). With Jenks we failed to offer him terms until we had popped him in the shop window. In those circumstances I don't think that we can moan that he was sold.

I think every player in our squad would be on the bus up to the emirates if they had a chance, it doesn't meant that they're mugs that don't want to play for us, it just means that they've got a (much) better opportunity. If he was going to Saints or Palace or Burnley or something we'd (possibly) have some right to be irritated but that's not the case here.

It's silly booing a youngster who's chosen the best youth set up in Britain over league one.
  • Options
    Sorry mate Id prefer a bit of loyalty and seeing him try and get us back in the top flight rather than going to play somewhere else.

Sick of being a mug punter paying for these players to come through and then jump ship as soon as a bigger club shows a bit of interest.