Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is Powell enjoying management?

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
He looked mightly pissed off at the end.

Comments

• Options
    Have you enjoyed the past 17 games?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Have you enjoyed the past 17 games?

Nope.

But I still managed to crack a smile at full time.
  • Options
    Didn't go, so who did the tunnel jump?
  • Options
    Nobody done a jump thank god.
  • Options
    Was a muted tunnel jump by CP he came back out the tunnel and punched the air without the jump. It has to stop though. Would you ever see Jose Mourhino do it ?
  • Options
    Why does it have to stop there is very little fun to be had at football along as people want him to do it leave it be
  • Options
    It was probably a mixture of :-

Relief - Because we won, won well and deserved to win.
    Embarassed - because the fans were asking him to do his traditional run out after a win when he said he wouldn't anymore as a manager but didn't want to disappoint.
    Confused - Because the same fans who were cheering his name today were booing him and wanting him out a couple of weeks. Well they were in the lower North anyway.

Personally i think it was mainly relief though. Its been a tough reign for him so far and will remain tough for a while yet. Today was a good day so lets enjoy it. Admittedly though Eccelston won't be here next season, neither will Nouble but thats no big loss, Parrett says he wants to stay for another year but time will tell if he does, Sullivan could sign for us if someone else doesn't sign him, Bessone has good days and bad days and is injury prone. Also Stewart unlikely to be here either so Powell will have to completely rebuild to produce a team that can play well and win regularly enough to acheive anything. A lot of pressure on a guy who is having highs and lows, mostly lows in a first managerial role at a club he clearly loves and wants to do well for.

I can pretty much guarantee once he gets it right and the team is regularly winning and he wins over the fans approval we will see him smile more regularly again.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Clem_Snide[/cite]He looked mightly pissed off at the end.

Maybe he's just fed up with the constant abuse he gets. Just a guess.
  • Options
    It's such a shame that people don't seem willing to give the bloke a chance, even I gave Parkinson a chance. Once he was given the job full time
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]It's such a shame that people don't seem willing to give the bloke a chance, even I gave Parkinson a chance. Once he was given the job full time

It's amazing and frankly disgusting that some people haven't been prepared to give CP, one of our best ever, on and off the pitch, longer than five minutes in the job without abusing him and wanting him out. And my comment has nothing to do with the so-called "cult of the manager". It's just about common decency and the possibly eccentric notion that a man who's been given a job should be allowed the time and a chance to actually do it. Repairing CAFC is going to take a while yet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Haven't heard much abuse during games for CP myself.

He hasn't made a good start and if it was anyone else they'd probably already been shown their P45 already. Saying that since Southampton at home we've looked alot better and we seem to be passing it around alot more. Hopefully we'll win the last 2 and go into the summer with a little bit of hope that next season may actually have a happy ending for once.
  • Options
    a wins a win lets win the next two and see what the man can do next season,gonna be a big season next season and for some strange reason im thinking maybe we can do something
  • Options
    Any other manager who came in to manage us with the record that CP has would have been hounded, as it is yes he has had some abuse, but overall it has been positive acceptance and hope that he can turn it around There has been questioning of management and so there should be as there should have been whoever managed us, equally abuse who ever the maanger is, is wrong.

Blind faith and blind respect does us and him no favours.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]Haven't heard much abuse during games for CP myself.

He hasn't made a good start and if it was anyone else they'd probably already been shown their P45 already. Saying that since Southampton at home we've looked alot better and we seem to be passing it around alot more. Hopefully we'll win the last 2 and go into the summer with a little bit of hope that next season may actually have a happy ending for once.

This.
  • Options
    A vast improvement (not that hard) in performances since the Dagenham debacle, though many changes need to be made in the close season, from whoever is in charge.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

But it isn't blind faith to ask that the man be given a realistic chance before the abuse starts, especially when we do owe him a great deal of respect. IMHO we were awful before he came (and I was never in the anti-Parky brigade) and we carried on being terrible for quite a while afterwards, though it was evident from the start that CP intends his team to play decent passing football. We need -- always needed -- to see what happens in the close season and next season before we can fairly assess him as a manager. "Powell ain't got a clue" etc., when he'd barely started in the role, was utterly ridiculous.

Maybe he'll succeed, maybe he won't: we just don't have the evidence upon which to judge him yet. I really hope he succeeds, and I think he just might.
  • Options
    The only thing i can say about Chris Powell is this.....when he came in he was given a poisoned chalice, and its been a poisoned chalice ever since Curbs left....if you move into a house thats been built by a bunch of cowboys and it starts to crumble around you then theres not much you can do until you get the time to do the repairs....i genuinely believe that this time next year we will be sitting in the top 2......with a bit of stability and a good pre season with a few players in and out i think he will prove a lot of people wrong...Charlton Abu!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: gilbertfilbert[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]

But it isn't blind faith to ask that the man be given a realistic chance before the abuse starts, especially when wedoowe him a great deal of respect. IMHO we were awful before he came (and I was never in the anti-Parky brigade) and we carried on being terrible for quite a while afterwards, though it was evident from the start that CP intends his team to play decent passing football. We need -- always needed -- to see what happens in the close season and next season before we can fairly assess him as a manager. "Powell ain't got a clue" etc., when he'd barely started in the role, was utterly ridiculous.

Maybe he'll succeed, maybe he won't: we just don't have the evidence upon which to judge him yet. I really hope he succeeds, and Ithinkhe just might.

He has not received much abuse there will always be idiots who go over the top but the overwhelming response has been supportive, with nobody I know wanting his to fail, but "Blind Faith and Respect" is where any criticism of his management is claimed to be some form of unwarranted abuse, he has a get out of jail free card through the respect that he earned as a player now he needs to earn respect as a manager.
  • Options
    He took on a huge job and it was his first job. Even a highly experienced manager would have found it difficult. Our big problem for years has been the midfield and a lack of a goalscorer. By bringing in Parrett, Stewart and BWP he has demonstrated that he knows where the problems were. At the same time he has tried to improve the style of play. Aside from bringing in a pacy centre half, he has done everything I was hoping for. I should imagine he's a little disappointed that some fans have chosen to disregard the enormity of the job and have instead decided to pile the pressure on him.
    Having said that I can understand the frustration and impatience given the past few years that we have endured,
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]He took on a huge job and it was his first job. Even a highly experienced manager would have found it difficult. Our big problem for years has been the midfield and a lack of a goalscorer. By bringing in Parrett, Stewart and BWP he has demonstrated that he knows where the problems were. At the same time he has tried to improve the style of play. Aside from bringing in a pacy centre half, he has done everything I was hoping for. I should imagine he's a little disappointed that some fans have chosen to disregard the enormity of the job and have instead decided to pile the pressure on him.
    Having said that I can understand the frustration and impatience given the past few years that we have endured,
    Top post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: ShootersHillGuru[/cite]Was a muted tunnel jump by CP he came back out the tunnel and punched the air without the jump. It has to stop though. Would you ever see Jose Mourhino do it ?

Why on earth does it have to stop???
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: queensland_addick[/cite]He took on a huge job and it was his first job. Even a highly experienced manager would have found it difficult. Our big problem for years has been the midfield and a lack of a goalscorer. By bringing in Parrett, Stewart and BWP he has demonstrated that he knows where the problems were. At the same time he has tried to improve the style of play. Aside from bringing in a pacy centre half, he has done everything I was hoping for. I should imagine he's a little disappointed that some fans have chosen to disregard the enormity of the job and have instead decided to pile the pressure on him.

Absolutely spot on, i honestly think peoples expectations are far to unrealistic and high, we are a 3rd division football club who until recently had 3rd division players bar 3 or 4 but a wage bill of a low to mid championship club, this was never going to be an easy journey to over come yet some want it it now instead of enjoying what we had years back which was a gradual build and then into the promised land it made you feel better about it like youd earnt it,

i want that back i am fed up with the band aid quick fix i want a recovery plan and a healthier finish
  • Options
    I'm not looking for a quick fix but I wouldn't mind a bit of what Norwich and Brighton have had recently, does that mean I'm unrealistic?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Mendonca In Asdas[/cite]I'm not looking for a quick fix but I wouldn't mind a bit of what Norwich and Brighton have had recently, does that mean I'm unrealistic?

Not at all - surely it's our turn? Please!
  • Options
    How long have brighton waited I bet they wouldn't say quick fix, narwich yep they turned it rouund signed good players and got a good manager straight of the bat , we have not dine that not really powells fault,