Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bristol R 2 - 2 Charlton - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Given some of the comments about what went on today I do not think that today is a day to judge CP's prospects as a manager. There are serious concerns, justifiable, but it sounds like a good performance up until the sendings off and then a gutsy performance.
  • Options
    all weird
  • Options
    Safe from relegation. Time to celebrate
  • Options
    cant make sense of any of them plans
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]Plan B

Do you mean 2b ? I left that one out:

2b. The referee wasn't part of plan 2 but the plan was good enough anyway
  • Options
    A very frustrating second half given that we had looked as though we could have gone on to win comfortably (for the first time in a long while) before the sendings off. I honestly couldn't see any way back for Rovers other than if something daft happened but I should have known that it would. Reid's first booking was soft (as was Semedo's I think) and the ref let several much worse offences from the home team go unpunished completely. He then allowed the equaliser to stand despite the clearest handball you will ever see. I was amazed that he gave it as I saw him put his whistle in his mouth to blow for the handball offence but then didn't blow it for some unexplainable reason. The ref's performance in the second half was abysmal.

Benson was my MOM. Worked hard. Good hold up play. Great finish for his goal.

Good support from the 400 or so in the marquee behind the goal.
  • Options
    So we had two players sent off. To have them sent off in the first place, would make me feel that they were trying for a position for next season.
    Maybe trying too hard, but trying nonetheless
    And what for the remaining nine?
    I feel Powell may have won the dressing room over.
  • Options
    The post above pretty much sums it up

Anybody whose moaning about throwing the lead away clearly wasn’t there or didn’t happen to see how bad the ref was. (genuinely the worst ref i have ever seen and there have been some bad ones.) Their second goal was a blatant handball he might as well of thrown it in the net I didn’t think samedo deserved either yellow card and reids were both questionablle. Didnt see what powel did so i cant comment

As for the steward who tried to fight a 60/70 year old woman what a disgrace hope he gets the sack along with the other jobs worth stewards down there.
  • Options
    The manager really needs to show the way and calm the players down!......

Powell's showing a real lack of experience here!

So what is powell doing in the technical area when 1 player gets sent off......

Why has he subbed the players, and he cannot get his views across... when he subs the players.

yes the players caused the foul, but he needs to manage the team......otherwise why is he there!

Obviously Powell has been showing the team some Arsenal dvd's....... another team that throw away a 2 goal lead......

This was what I posted, hardly an anti Powell rant was it!
    My first point was that he needed to get the team to play as a united unit, not as a bunch of individuals.
    The second point was is that not what he should do as a manager convey his instructions. The fact that he was sent off hardly shows a leadership from a former defender who I thought had a cool head!

Yes, the Arsenal comment was a bit cheeky, but a comparrisson to Arsenal is not the worst is it!.......

I speak as I find. Chris Powell a great former defender, a club hero. As a manager, I am concerned as I was at the time !

I am not a Powell out , sorry to dissapoint .

I appreciate he cannot be held to task over Reid's tackle, but he can effect the game!.

I have yet to see the tackle, I was talking in the context as to what I would like to see and expect from the manager!
    and his management of the situation!. We lost a two goal lead, lost 2 points, had two players sent off and a manager sent off!
  • Options
    Reading Powell's comments it seems more and more like we got done by a corrupt referee. I applaud his passionate comments to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    And a manager sent off...
    glad we aint got someone like SAF..

Effort, passion, belief.

That will do for my Charlton.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A post match thread that not a single person has been to by the looks of it yet some people are still bitching like little girls pathetic just like this years team.
  • Options
    Just got back from and this is my view of the incidents;

totally cruising to victory then..

Reid gets a very stupid and avoidable yellow..

a couple fo minutes later he is in a 50-50 with their man and the rovers players make a meal of it and get reid sent off..

their defender then elbows benno and gets away with it...

semedo then gets a yellow for a what looked like a nothing challenge in the air..

their equaliser was also the worst hand ball you will see this season...

I will also mention that sullivan got a yellow for complaining about the equaliser yet their keeper can run 50 yards to complain and get no yellow?

very poor ref today who seemed to have lost his bottle.
  • Options
    There seems to be a lot of over reaction and thinking that this was another typical charlton throwing away a two goal lead. It was anything but. . . We could easily of been three up before the sending offs with both benno and ne having chances. Reid was then booked for.pulling a man back on the half way line,he took one for the team as they were counter arracking,hs second to me looked like a block tackle go wrong. I need to see it again but from my view the commentary has made it sound a hundred times worse. As for semedo, the second yellow is just baffling, and to cap it off their syriker plays basket ball in the area to equalise. Powell was sent off as he ran on the pitch to moan about the goal. We played well and were screwed over by some strange decisions throughout the game. Sorry for any grammer/spelling mistakes all this has been done on touch screen phone
  • Options
    Cafc999 makes a great point about the keepers. The ref went to book one of their players for decent had his card out tgen bottled it. Their keeper also had handbags with nouble
  • Options
    "Curbs for example thought it was a good idea to let Jorge Costa return to Portugal and replace him with Gary Rowett"

Prague, Gary Rowett hobbled into & out of the Valley with his wooden leg long before Jorge Costa arrived.................
  • Options
    I also forgot the major act of petulance by their player when he got called for a foul throw...didn't get a yellow for that either!!!

David Moyes summed up the standard of refereeing a couple of weeks ago...

When asked about the FA's Respect campaign, he said that "How can we respect them, when they don't respect us?"
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charlton_carl[/cite]There seems to be a lot of over reaction and thinking that this was another typical charlton throwing away a two goal lead. It was anything but. . . We could easily of been three up before the sending offs with both benno and ne having chances. Reid was then booked for.pulling a man back on the half way line,he took one for the team as they were counter arracking,hs second to me looked like a block tackle go wrong. I need to see it again but from my view the commentary has made it sound a hundred times worse. As for semedo, the second yellow is just baffling, and to cap it off their syriker plays basket ball in the area to equalise. Powell was sent off as he ran on the pitch to moan about the goal. We played well and were screwed over by some strange decisions throughout the game. Sorry for any grammer/spelling mistakes all this has been done on touch screen phone

Thanks Carl. I think Powell is damned by some no matter what he does. If he stood, leaned against the dugout in his suit arms folded the haters would say he's not passionate enough, if he reacts angrily to abysmal decisions from a homer ref, he's hot headed!! Sounds like we were done today by the Ref, the overall theme though is improving performances from the side, some passion about the place & a few goals flying in. Between now & the end of the season, we are going to thump someone!! I fear for Rochdale on Monday :-)
  • Options
    cafc999 and charlton_carl are spot on.

An unbl**dybelieveable display by the ref !! We just couldn't believe what we were witnessing out there . I've scoffed when people have mentioned officials " taking money" in the past but today seriously changed my opinion.

A total disgrace - I asked a policeman who was talking to said lady who had been verbally abused by a steward, to arrest the man in the middle....Referee ? If that wasn't fraud, I'll eat my hat.

For those not making the trip , we looked really good until the Merchant Banker decided to give the Pirates a helping hand. Was SO pleased for Reid when he scored.....his confidence must have soared after that, not that he had much time to enjoy it. Couldn't fault any of the starting eleven .They were DEFINITELY playing as a unit, Ken.

And to criticise SCP ( yes, still SCP!) for getting himself sent off - well, Sir Alex would have been in a straight jacket tonight had he had to witness HIS team being mugged by a so called referee and some very desperate actors wearing blue & white.

This team and their manager deserve our full support in the final 3 matches of this season . Let''s make sure they can hear it starting on Monday !
  • Options
    and by haters in my prior post, i don't mean anyone on here - but some of the other ridiculous comments i have seen on another forum!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks to all of you who went and got back and told us what really went on.

I like the sound of it. I think we're moving forward.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: PragueAddick[/cite]Thanks to all of you who went and got back and told us what really went on.

I like the sound of it. I think we're moving forward.

Yes a big step forward !
  • Options
    Charlton played very well at times. The back four were good throughout and Fortune had a superb first half when he read the play superbly. Parrett passed well and Benson was excellent up front. NE did so well for Benson's goal and Reid's goal was sensational. Didn't think Reid meant to foul the bloke (I might be wrong but it looked like he was trying to nick the ball away from him) but his foot was high and he had to be booked a 2nd time. The defending and commitment couldn't really be faulted today but having set the team up really well, Powell unfortunately made a crucial error....he should have subbed Semedo as soon as Reid went off. You can still go on to win a game at 2-0 with 10 men but no-way with nine and it should have been obvious that to continue with Semedo already on a yellow, was too risky. Plus we had two midfielders on the bench who would have been ok replacements (Racon or McCormack). As for the homer ref opinion....maybe in the 2nd half but it looked as though Fortune could have been sent off early on in the first half for a pull back. And how did the ref only add six minutes at the end? Should have been ten at least with the sendings off, the subs, the injury, the treatment for Bessone (for being hit in the chest with the ball!) and all the Charlton time wasting. The Rovers fans were hopping mad about the Fortune incident and the lack of added time, whereas it looked like the forward hand-balled for the equaliser. Lots of swings and roundabouts today!

The crowd by the tunnel were partisan and gave Charlton some stick when they walked off at the end but I didn't like the sneering from Fortune towards them and his "going down" gestures. Thought he had a bit more class than that. Doherty and Sullivan handled it best by simply raising their eyebrows and walking past. All in all an eventful afternoon and I hope Tunnicliffe is ok although the talk around the club afterwards was that they think he might have a broken leg. I hope that was just speculation rather than fact.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: charltonbob[/cite]Prague, Gary Rowett hobbled into & out of the Valley with his wooden leg long before Jorge Costa arrived.................

You know what, it's fine to just disagree with people's opinions but if you want to dig them out on the basis of facts which can be checked, then check them first, eh?

Now let me tell you something else. Curbs offered his resignation over Rowett. And the point is, that even the best make mistakes.
  • Options
    I'm glad some people who actually went to the game have now commented. I watch a lot of non-league football and that ref was worse than any I have seen this season - he was a compete disgrace - calling him a 'homer' does not do his performance justice! All we would ask for is treating both sides the same and that was not the case today.

On our performance, we were well in control - it was nice to see us playing football instead of hoofing the ball forward.

As for Rovers - I'd like nothing better than for Crawley Town to thrash them next season - they will be no loss to this Division!

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit bitter - but we were well and truly robbed today!
  • Options
    Re: Powells sending off.

I remember Alan Curbishley getting sent off in his first season away to Southend. I can't remember it happening to him again. And incidentally - who was the player at Southend who pulled Curbs away from the officials and further trouble?

None other than Alex Dyer....
  • Options
    Can I just get this straight. Our manager picked a team today that was 2-0 up when all things were equal and that still managed to hang on to a draw despite two players being sent off and an unfair goal being gifted to the opposition by a useless referee. Some of our fans are blaming the manager for this?!?!?!?!? You just couldn't make it up.
  • Options
    Good call Harry. I remember that game, also pretty feisty.

Just read CP's comments. Very interesting (and people were digging his comments out last week as being bland)

How about this:
    When quizzed about referee Lewis, Powell noted: "He never gave us anything all day, but that's his prerogative. He's telling us that he will send one of our players off - and in fact he got two off.

the ref told him he's going to send one of ours off??????

and

"But the second one I just can't believe what he's done. Stuart Campbell has got a tough job, he is trying to keep his team up. If he wants to wink at his staff and clap to his fans when he knows he's got a player sent off; if he feels that's right than fair enough."

and then later we get

"Reacting to Powell's comments about his antics in Semedo's sending off, Campbell reiterated: "The lad clearly elbowed me. I was clapping to the crowd to gee them up as the fact they were down to nine men; it was nothing more than that.

"I'm disappointed he said that but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'll say go and look at it on the video and draw your own conclusion."

Yep Stuart, that's exactly what I'm going to do....
  • Options
    Thanks very much for comments from people who were there, when I looked at the score at the end, the sendings off etc on score centre I was very p****ed off and thought 'same old' blah blah.
    But it seems theres a lot more to it, which makes me feel slightly better.
    We ARE making progress, I think next season is our season.
    Keep the faith, thats all we can do.
    COYR!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]Some of our fans are blaming the manager for this?!?!?!?!? You just couldn't make it up.

you couldn't, could you?

especially when you realise that none of them have seen a single second of the game.

Me neither, and when i was watching the score flashes as I was driving back to Prague I was cursing them too, but i didnt realise we had nine men. I just don't get it.