Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Women's Team

edited April 2011 in General Charlton
As you may be aware, I am Chairman of the Charlton Athletic Community Trust's women's football committee and so I thought I would come on here to give a mention to the women's first team who are just a point away from being promoted and three points away from being Champions. We have two matches left to achieve the three points needed to be Champions; the first game takes place at Thamesmead Town FC on Easter Sunday against Cardiff City, kick-off 2.00pm, the second takes place on Tuesday night, again at Thamesmead Town, this time against QPR. It really would be great to see as many Charlton supporters as possible attend one or more of these games as it would mean so much to all of us on the Committee but especially to Paul Mortimer and his very talented squad of players.

You will all be aware that, when the club was relegated from the Premier League one of the most high profile casualties of this was the women's team which had been hugely successful, winning the Women's FA Cup in the Club's Centenary Season. To the Charlton Athletic Community Trust's great credit, it took on the running of women's and girl's football and effectively started again. Now, some 4 years later, women's football at Charlton is once again thriving and this is down to a lot of hard work by Paul Mortimer and his staff and by the talent, dedication and sheer hard work of the girls who now represent the club so passionately.

As I said, women's and girls' football has fought back from those recent dark days and we now operate a vibrant and extremely successful programme and we also have a dedicated and extremely generous Patron in Stephen King of PHSC plc. The girls are hugely talented and very proud to wear the Charlton badge; Sunday afternoon promises to be a fantastic occassion and the girls deserve a big crowd to cheer them on. I hope to see many of you there.

Happy Easter.

Regards

Steve Sutherland

Comments

• Good luck to the women, you forget to mention that the reserves won the kent cup, beating non other than Millwalls reserves. Can't make the games mentioned,unfortunately, however I wish them and Charlton legend Paul Mortimer,. who has done an outstanding job since taking over the women, all the best
  • Lose 2-1 to cardiff

still can win the championship with one game to go. But need a result to ensure promotion,can still be caught other wise
  • Good Luck Women! Saw you play Truro City FC Women(and win) a couple of years ago. You were awesome AND I got 'Ball In The Face' OUCH! Up the Addicks!
  • Good luck the birds' team.
  • Good luck Croydon
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]Good luck Croydon

Lol, I think this team cannot be called croydon, croydon demised when we pulled the rug from under the womens team, when they were challenging for the top spot in womens football. This team are the phoenix that rose from those ashes.
  • Apologises for that, but certain people at the time kept saying we "nicked" Croydon to become a better Woman's team, hence why they always be known as Croydon in a jovial way in my eyes.
  • Beat QPR last night and have been promoted. Will win league outright unless there are stupid results elsewhere.

Well done to the ladies who have hoovered up all that was put in front of them and showed an iron resolve.
  • [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Beat QPR last night and have been promoted. Will win league outright unless there are stupid results elsewhere.

Well done to the ladies who have hoovered up all that was put in front of them and showed an iron resolve.

They've been "cooking" as a team this season
  • I wondered why we were not accepted into the new womens super league,or if in fact we applied.
    Congratulations to the girls, showing the boys how to do it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Needed a man to drive the team, otherwise they wouldn't have got out of first gear.
    As for a resolute defense, they could have hardly parked the team bus in front of the goal on their own.
  • [cite]Posted By: ozaddick[/cite]I wondered why we were not accepted into the new womens super league,or if in fact we applied.
    Congratulations to the girls, showing the boys how to do it.

We weren't in the topleague so would not have been considered, I would have thought
  • CharltonAthletic WFC ‏@CAFCWomen 1h
    Womens football double @SCThamesmead today @CAFCWomen v @SFCLadies @FA Cup ko 130pm then Corinthians v @CAFCWomen Res @KentFA Cup ko 515pm
  • Anyone know how they did?
  • Womens football is truely awful, although the showers afterwards would be a good watch!
  • Anyone know how they did?

Lost the FA Cup game 6-0. Won the Kent Cup game 4-2 (aet).

• KentishFootball ‏@KentishFootie
    TODAY: Charlton Athletic v Lewes - FA Women's Premier League South - 14:00 at Thamesmead Town FC

KentishFootball ‏@KentishFootie
    TODAY: Kent Women's Cup Semi-Final: Ebbsfleet United v Gillingham (13:00 at Rochester United FC)
  • wonder if some of the CAFC exiles will come and support the women's team...
  • edited January 2023
    Can’t find the other thread for the women’s team, but we’re 1-0 up against MK Dons at halftime today.