Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E-books/ Kindle

Just wondering how many people on here are into reading books on electronic devices? There are now "Kindle millionaires" in the States, from self-publishing 99 cent e-books. Must admit I still prefer an actual printed book myself...

Comments

• Options
    I own a Kindle, and it is awesome. I would not consider myself a bookworm, but it has certainly made me read more and has changed the way I use my smartphone (I play far less games on my commute to work!).

For most novels it is great to be able to get Amazon prices without having to wait for the book to turn up in the post. This coupled with storage space no longer being an issue is the win factor for me.

The only thing that is slightly annoying is that some publishers charge more for the Kindle version than the paperback version.

As a software developer by trade, I would still buy the physical copy of a technical book as it's hard to read code/system diagrams on a book reader.

The days of the physical media are coming to an end, but that's another argument.
  • Options
    I have a kindle, an unexpected birthday present from my wife who was upset at the amount of books I buy and then clog up the house with. I love my kindle but when ill I wished I had a book to read, why I have no idea
  • Options
    Early days for me having just bought one on Sunday but so far I give it the thumbs up. Especially the easy access to the dictionary.
  • Options
    Also I'm receiving e-copies of books free!
  • Options
    I have a kindle and it is great. What I've noticed is that I'm reading more classics and more unknown authors, mostly because of pricing. There are so many great books available for free or very cheaply. Best sellers are ridiculously expensive for a tiny amount of data, but as these things become more popular and there is more competition I'm hopeful the prices will drop. A the end of the day I have more stuff on there than I have time to read in the next year most likely and I've paid less than a tenner in total so far.
  • Options
    I've been reading a few books on my newly purchased iPad2 and I have to say I've enjoyed the experience so far.
  • Options
    If you and a partner/family member both decide to get a Kindle, make sure you register them both to the same Amazon account otherwise you won't be able to read purchased books on both devices. That is the major disadvantage over a physical copy of a book.
  • Options
    How much does it cost to buy/download Ebooks for reading on a Kindle? What is the best/cheapest source? Last time I thought about a Kindle, about a year ago, Ebooks seemed to be more or less as expensive as a real book, which tended to put me off. I don't think a Kindle could ever come close to the aesthetic appeal of the genuine article but as I contemplate the huge numbers of books occupying shelves in every room of the house, and the need to think about downsizing, maybe I don't need any more 'real' books.
  • Options
    Sevensix - just go to Amazon and search for your favourite books. Most books are cheaper in Kindle format, but not all.

I don't get the aesthetic appeal argument, but that's a personal preference rather than right/wrong of course.
  • Options
    I published my own eBook late last year but sadly I'm no eBook millionaire :o(

It's worth pointing out though, that you can buy eBooks from Amazon and read them on your PC without buying a Kindle - it's not immediately obvious from the Amazon site (since they would love it if we all had a Kindle) but it can be done.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had Kindle since December and think it is brilliant.
    Downloaded so many free books and books for 79p etc that would never have read previously.
    So easy to read on the Tube one handed whilst hanging on with the other.

most paperbacks are cheaper on Kindle, although there has been a big thing with US book companies putting a minimum price on the ebooks.
    It says on the price guide - THIS PRICE HAS BEEN SET BY THE PUBLISHER - as Amazon want you to know that they have not set that high price.
    Obviously all the classics that are out of copyright are free.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I've been reading a few books on my newly purchased iPad 1 and a bit and I have to say I've enjoyed the experience so far, but I spent way too much on it to be honest, especially as there are better tablets coming out in the coming months for less.

;-)
  • Options
    I got her-in-doors one for Christmas, primarily for long holidays as she reads a book evey other day and is always scared she'll run out of literature.

So, basically, she hasn't used it in anger yet and currently still prefers the smell and feel of a 'real' book.
  • Options
    I love my Kindle, partly because it was a present but I also miss the feel of a real book but not the weight of some of them. The main reason I'd dropped anvil shaped hints was due to lack of space to store anymore and can't seem to part with most of them.

The reviews on the Kindle store are quite helpful and I've not actually paid anything for the majority of the books on there and it's a great way to find new and older material to get my mitts on that I wouldn't have found in normal bookshops, unless I was wandering down to somewhere like Forbidden Planet and paying well over the odds. Just wish the cases with the light on were not so bloody expensive and mates at work didn't borrow it during their lunchtimes and have accidents with meatballs.
  • Options
    I've got an app on my phone and download e books for free. A lot more fun than playing angry birds.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: sam3110[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JohnBoyUK[/cite]I've been reading a few books on my newly purchased iPad 1 and a bit and I have to say I've enjoyed the experience so far, but I spent way too much on it to be honest, especially as there are better tablets coming out in the coming months for less.

;-)

lol I'm quite happy with my purchase thanks. It does everything I want it to do perfectly. Yes, its expensive but you tell me what isnt when it comes to technology. Havent spent nowhere near as much as some people have on one though, most of it is covered by work :-P
  • Options
    Every e-book you could ever wish for is on usenet...cough cough ahem ;-)
  • Options
    I read a couple hours a day commuting and I have tried and tested a family members kindle. I am going to stick to spending my cash in the bookshops
  • Options
    I love my Kindle, one of the best things i have ever bought. Many of the books i have downloaded are classics and free, and others are much cheaper than the book price. I got a kindle case without lights and got a small £6 light from WH Smiths and it works great. Added benefits, dictionary and also use it to read pdf's from work - nearly made bribery act interesting, nearly but not quite
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: randy andy[/cite]I have a kindle and it is great. What I've noticed is that I'm reading more classics and more unknown authors, mostly because of pricing. There are so many great books available for free or very cheaply. Best sellers are ridiculously expensive for a tiny amount of data, but as these things become more popular and there is more competition I'm hopeful the prices will drop. A the end of the day I have more stuff on there than I have time to read in the next year most likely and I've paid less than a tenner in total so far.

Agree with this ... had my kindle for about a year now and it's used a lot ... but also still enjoy reading 'normal' books
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As an ex-online, rich content, ebookstore owner, I happen to have some pretty strong views on this . . .

Amazon are hoovering up millions of books to their system and at the same time part of the deal is that they own the copyright. The Author and Publisher sign over their rights for quick profits.

Right now it sounds good for the consumer, but this cannot be good for us all long term, its like Sky dominating sports TV and raising the charges as much as they like, when they like.

However, this is a very interesting market in which I hope other players will create competition before too long.

Personally I am going to wait until I can buy an ebook reader that offers colour, video and web connections in a more user friendly format than the current tablets.
  • Options
    I cannot understand why one would go for a single function tablet like Kindle when for twice the price you can get a tablet that can browse the internet, watch videos or live streaming TV on, play games and of course read e-books??? Also there is just the one tablet to carry... Please can someone enlighten me?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: SilentAddick[/cite]I cannot understand why one would go for a single function tablet like Kindle when for twice the price you can get a tablet that can browse the internet, watch videos or live streaming TV on, play games and of course read e-books??? Also there is just the one tablet to carry... Please can someone enlighten me?

1. Reading on a tablet is not as easy on the eyes as a Kindle if you want to read for a considerable amount of time.
    2. Kindles are smaller and easier to carry around.
    3. I'm also of the opinion that tablets are largely pointless if you own a Smartphone and a computer at home.