Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Food in luggage

My kids are going abroad on school/swimming trips, am I allowed to pack treats in their luggage, I.e sweets, breakfast bars etc????

Tried googling it but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

Cheers all

Comments

• Options
    I would think it's down to however is organising the trip. I do a lot of work in schools and there are some right zelots in them . Some schools ban biscuits, sweets, crisps, chocolate, any foods with sugar or salt in them, processed meats and any drink other than water. No wonder the kids don't look happy
  • Options
    i think so, just think there are some restrictions on meat/dairy goods
  • Options
    Whether you're allowed or not, stick a few snacks in (as long as it's not a trip abroad - they don't like that sort of thing).

Went on a school trip for a week once and the food was absolutely disgusting. To this day I'm sure it was just a ruse so they would sell more in the tuck shop.

I owe my life to the pack of digestive biscuits my old dear smuggled into my bag.
  • Options
    i think you are ok, my sis takes loads of crunchie bars back to the states when she returns home, never had a problem,
    As Ads says just meat/dairy products are a no no
  • Options
    When I went away with friends for the first time a few years back, a friends mum packed loads of super noodles and snacks (biscuits/crisps) to make sure he would not forget to eat. Had no problems so should be fine.
  • Options
    I've spent a long, long time living in various places the other side of the Channel. After a visit to the UK, I always bring back Cadbury's chocolate, snacks etc, etc.

I also own up to liking English sausages, cheese and other similar items, and I always bring those back too, even though I suppose I shouldn't. If you don't take huge quantities as hand baggage, or the equivalent, it's never a problem.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: ashford addick[/cite]i think you are ok, my sis takes loads of crunchie bars back to the states when she returns home, never had a problem,

Careful with the police state of America.

Cornered by sniffer dogs, I was detained for 2 hours at Atlanta airport. My crime? Being in possession of an apple.

Yep, just the one apple I'd packed for the long train journey from Cornwall to Heathrow, and forgotten to eat.
    I was warned that I am now recorded on their prime suspect list, should I ever try to return to the good ol' US of A.
  • Options
    Cheers all, they are going Italy and Germany with school and swimming club have no restrictions, just wondering whether airport/airline would be ok.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ashford addick[/cite]i think you are ok, my sis takes loads of crunchie bars back to the states when she returns home, never had a problem,

Cornered by sniffer dogs, I was detained for 2 hours at Atlanta airport. My crime? Being in possession of an apple.

Yep, just the one apple I'd packed for the long train journey from Cornwall to Heathrow, and forgotten to eat.
    I was warned that I am now recorded on their prime suspect list, should I ever try to return to the good ol' US of A.
    You want to try it in Oz. You'd be executed on the spot.
  • Options
    Just say no.

To food smuggling......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Basic rule is that most - but definitely not all - packaged foods are OK, stuff like chocolate bars, biscuits and crisps are all fine.

Things like dried fruit and anything with seeds is where you can start to get into trouble and obviously perishable items like fruit, vegetables, fish, meat and cheese are a big, big no.

I once saw a Korean woman at Auckland Airport try and bring in a big bag of raw, bloody meat! The NZ Customs dog was going absolutely mental.

Who the feck would eat meat that's been sitting in a suitcase for 12 hours?
  • Options
    I often bring ice cream back from Manila to Singapore, they pack it in dry ice which last for about 5-6hrs, just long enough to get it in the freezer when I get home.

In Singapore they are only worried about you bringing chewing gum and cigarettes.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: All_Thaid_Up[/cite]In Singapore they are only worried about you bringing chewing gum and cigarettes.

And perhaps a little bit of weed ......?
  • Options
    Can you not carve a suitcase out of a giant biscuit?

Use three appropriately cut breakfast bars to form the handle and use Wagon Wheels for the..err wheels.

Those dopey Customs' bods will never twig.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

You want to try it in Oz. You'd be executed on the spot.
    True, if you smile at the customers office they send you back home.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Macronate[/cite]Can you not carve a suitcase out of a giant biscuit?

Use three appropriately cut breakfast bars to form the handle and use Wagon Wheels for the..err wheels.

Those dopey Customs' bods will never twig.

I actually did LOL