Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

10.5 things you never knew about Leyton Orient

1. Very appropriately for long suffering supporters of the seaside club, Leyton Orient is an anagram of Enter It Loony.

Comments

• 2. Leyton Orient are a football club.
  • 3. The name Leyton Orient is believed to have come from the cockney way of saying "Late on the rent",as the clubs original founders were notorious for being months behind on their share of the payments on the original Glynn ground.
  • 4. I dislocated my knee playing at one of their old grounds in Homerton. Only that and a total lack of talent prevented me being a professional footballer.
  • 5. My eldest son is named leyton
  • Despite its name it's actually nowhere near anything genuinely Oriental.
  • Clapton FC were one of the first Clubs in England to be sponsored.

In 1921 the Oriental Laundry Co. of E5 paid the then huge some of £100 to have their name incorporated into the then southern league teams name.

The Football league refused to allow them to play as Clapton Oriental Laundry FC so the name was shortened to Glynn Road Football and Cricket Club.

The Chinese connection was never lost hence the adoption of all red after the communist take over in Chine in 1947 (before then they had played in white with a blue V) and then the appointment of Martin Ling as the first league manager of Chinese decent.
  • I think I am right in saying that the Great Jimmy Seed was involved with Clapton Orient, prior to coming to The Valley, as were the Glikstens Albert and Stan also prior to purchasing Charlton.
  • We bought Paul went from Leyton Orient either that or he went there after us possibly even both.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I think I am right in saying that the Great Jimmy Seed was involved with Clapton Orient, prior to coming to The Valley, as were the Glikstens Albert and Stan also prior to purchasing Charlton.

True.

New board bringing in big name ex-player without much experience who had done nothing for little club. I will never work they said at the time.
  • Chris Fish Bar is a stones throw from Brisbane Lane. I had my dinner from there last night
  • Sponsored links:

• Ironically of every Football League clubs Leyton Orient have the smallest proportion of oriental supporters 0.03%
  • 6. Famous Leyton Orient supporters include violinist Julian Lloyd Webber, TV presenter Bob Mills, actress Lindsay Lohan and Pol Pot.
  • 7. Leyton Orient share their main stand with a NHS Poly Clinic.
  • 8. Amazingly, for a smallish London club, they are fairing quite well in the French 1st division, currently in 9th place and on the same points as Bordeaux.
    When the players sign for Mr Hearns team, they get a free travelcard that allows them to use the Eurostar on Saturday evenings so they can then play on the Sunday, having let the train take the strain they arrive in frogland refreshed and ready for battle!
  • 9. I believe they are the only club in the land to have a dispensing Chemist shop built into the main stand.
  • Club director Steve Davis was born in Plumstead and used to be a Charlton fan.
    Club boss Barry Hearn was born in Plumstead and used to be a Charlton fan.
    Their greatest ever manager, Jimmy Seed, used to manage a small club near Plumstead.
  • The club is named after its founders, Welsh brothers Leighton and Owein. Over time this became corrupted by the east London dialect to sound as the familiar Leyton Orient of today. The club retains two red dragons on its badge in honour of its founding fathers.
  • leighton orient is an anagram of shite