Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

60 up: hopefully a few more to go!

edited March 2011 in General Charlton
A small anniversary: it's sixty years to the day since my first game at The Valley: CAFC 0 - Pompey 1 (att. over 34000). It was Hans Jeppson's farewell game and my dad wanted me to see this great player who had kept us out of relegation trouble with 9 goals in 11 games. I won't ramble on about my vague memories of the day (tram journies etc.) but I do remember Jeppson being lifted high by the crowd and paraded round the pitch. I wonder if we'll ever see that happen again! So that's how the roller-coaster started for me and I've never regretted it: honest!!

Sorry I can't buy you all a celebratory drink but hopefully I'll be allowed a couple of glasses of Wincarnis (old people's tipple) tonight and watch some videos of happier days. Cheers!

Comments

• Happy anniversary Mr March......
    I bet you've seen some highs and lows in that time, but anywhere as low as now?
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks mate. The lowest points have,of course, been the relegations (is it eight now?) but missing out on immediate promotion by a point back in '58 was very disappointing. The difference seems to be that there is now no feeling of the optimism that is usually associated with us. At the moment there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
  • Hi Terry, 60 years a supporter ....... you deserve a bloody medal!

Hans Jeppson your first hero?
    My old Dad still talks about him today; a hatrick for Charlton away at Arsenal - and he was only an amateur!!

I see you couldn't resist mentioning the trams to the ground. ;o)
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]but I do remember Jeppson being lifted high by the crowd and paraded round the pitch. I wonder if we'll ever see that happen again!

Good question........but we did see Sir Christopher Powell chaired by all the players and paraded around the pitch, at the final whistle of his last Charlton game.

Anyway, hope you are on the mend mate, and all is well.
  • Congratulations!
  • You've done more time by yourself than Ronnie and Reggie Kray combined!

Seriously, well done!
  • Thanks Rob. Yes, I'd forgotten about Sir Chris: touch of the old-timers there! Health wise: not too bad thanks, DVLA have rescinded my driving licence 'cos of the eyesight thing so the driving job's gone with it. Never mind, lots more time for the train set and CL though it helps to have me pills handy when coming on here sometimes. Glad your dad remembers Hans, pity we couldn't win that last game for him: typical Charlton! Hope all is well with yourself and you're not overdoing it. Cheers.
  • Thanks chaps. It really feels like a life sentence sometimes, Len, with no parole or Royal pardon!
  • Blimey March, that got me thinking about how long it's been for me. TBH I can't remember my first game but it must be getting close to 37 years ago now. Flipping eck I'm getting on.

Here's hoping that the next 60 years will be filled with memories of championship winning sides, cup wins and a Pheonix style rise to the top of the footballing tree...wibble, wibble...nurse!

PS good to know your health's holding up ok!
  • Cheers BA. Look forward not back, that's the idea and invest in a pair of Oggy's special tinted glasses, the ones with 'half' and 'full' written on the lenses.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]invest in a pair of Oggy's special tinted glasses, the ones with 'half' and 'full' written on the lenses.

My rose tinted glasses has Guinness or Spitfire written on them!
  • Sponsored links:

• I wonder if you are the longest serving supporter on CL, March?
    Anyway, congratulations.

I'll reach the 50 year mark next Easter.
  • I will have done 47 years next September.

Not bad for, ahem, a 29 year old.
  • Wow good work march! Congratulations!
  • At 58, I thought I was the oldest. Congrats March, may you remain the oldest for many many years.
  • I believe Granpa said he was a fair bit older than that .........
  • I still haven't been to The Valley :'( I live in Ireland and haven't had the cash to go over, been a fan for just about 13/14 years

i WILL be at the Valley next season!!! hope to see some of ye there!
  • Well done March!
  • Nice one, here's to the next sixty...
  • Thanks fellas, taking each game a it comes now!