Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Should Pards gamble?

edited February 2007 in General Charlton
"Nothing to lose" pair of games coming up - should Super Al try to bed in Bougherra and Song?

Comments

• Options
    Definitely - although there is a chance of a point vs Chelsea, we really need the team working well in time for West Ham
  • Options
    Yes and No

It would be good to give the new players experience but not if we end up with a cricket score defeat and then loose confidence. Maybe bring Bougherra on as a sub against Chelski and then use him against United as EL K will be banned and have Song on the bench for a 2nd half sub.
  • Options
    I thought Bougy was still injured ???
  • Options
    Our midfield still look too loose (dont retain possession) to me even with 5 on. If he can improve that situation then yes would be my answer. We still have a lack of firepower problem though, so points against either team is looking unlikely to me.
  • Options
    No our goal difference is bad enough
  • Options
    No, you don't tinker too much with a team that is regaining confidence.

Stay as we are while we are picking up points.
  • Options
    would at least hope for one or two on the bench..
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]No, you don't tinker too much with a team that is regaining confidence.

Stay as we are while we are picking up points.

I agree with you to a point but as razil pointed our midfield doesn't hold the ball well enough. We gave the ball away far to cheaply against Bolton and were lucky to get away with it, I doubt we be so lucky against Chelsea.

I'd stick with the same side to begin with but I'd be looking to give either ZZ or Song half an hour depending on how the game is going.
  • Options
    It's a really tricky one. Out of all the teams down there we have the worst goal difference, which at the end of the day counts as being -1point. We need the three points but going all out to win and a spanking could prove problomatic at the end of the season in the shake up. I'd stick with the same team that got the draw on wednesday
  • Options
    what about reid, I would be tempted to give him a whole half, then maybe song for ZZ the scond half
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]what about reid, I would be tempted to give him a whole half, then maybe song for ZZ the scond half

I thought that Reid had been ruled out.
  • Options
    dunno...
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]No our goal difference is bad enough
    I don't believe we should ever worry about goal difference - it is only one point - what if chasing a game to improve your goal difference cost you two points!? Anyway we can already write off that "point", so definitely no need to worry about it in its own right - of course we don't want to get embarassed tomorrow, which we will if we can't hold on to the ball.

If fit, I'd at the very least like to see Bougherra get half an hour in - next weekend he's in the team anyway cos the Elk is suspended.

As for midfield we haven't got the quality to have a prayer against Chelsea really, so in my opinion the gamble is to NOT play Song - if Pards thinks he is good enough then get him in there straight away.
  • Options
    "If fit, I'd at the very least like to see Bougherra get half an hour in - next weekend he's in the team anyway cos the Elk is suspended.

As for midfield we haven't got the quality to have a prayer against Chelsea really, so in my opinion the gamble is to NOT play Song - if Pards thinks he is good enough then get him in there straight away."

Our tactics away to Chelsea last season weren't pretty but they worked, five in midfield, two playing deep and press up on Makalele and Lampard, stifle them, and try and snatch a goal on the break.

I'd give ZZ and Bogherra a game if only as subs, and I agree with SS...leave Song's debut to a less demanding game. I'd take a draw.
  • Options
    BFR - what I meant is that if Pards thinks Song is good enough then play him tomorrow! More of a gamble to leave him out. I do not get the impression that ZZ is ready for the English game just yet.
  • Options
    Should Pards gamble?....I reckon he should put it all on the No6 Dog in the 6.15 at Crayford
  • Options
    Certainly leave the back four alone. Midfield is a concern as they give the ball away too much and put pressure on our defenders, so why not give some of the new boys a go...maybe the service to the front man will be better? That said, some of the old hands might be in the mood to fight a little harder than loan signings.

Up front is the real problem - no cutting edge. Marcus is pretty good at running all day but no so hot when the ball goes near him (the round bouncy thing Marcus) and JFH is so lardy that he's lost his speed and can't get off the ground for a header (easy on the breakfast Jimbo...). SuperKev may well be the saviour..yeah right.

Decisions, decisions - that's why Pards ins the manager, not me.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]BFR - what I meant is that if Pards thinks Song is good enough then play him tomorrow! More of a gamble to leave him out. I do not get the impression that ZZ is ready for the English game just yet.[/quote]

Sorry I misread you!

I think it would be a gamble to play him, Song has just joined the club and was away on international duty this week so the amount of time he'd have in training would be minimal, that is if he's even back. For a match like this I think he'd need more time.
  • Options
    I'd definitely play Lisbie instead of Rommedahl.
  • Options
    albeit fatty jfh does seem to score against his old clubs!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]I'd definitely play Lisbie instead of Rommedahl.

Why?? I've seen a few people suggest that he should be played on the wing, like it's suddenly going to make him a premiership class player. It won't, he'll still be crap.
  • Options
    BDL - you didn't watch the Arsenal game then? (his last start I think)
    He was most definitely a Premiership class player then, more so than Rommedahl.